How long is too long until archived?

Mr Kaswa

In my area I have 2 caches that have been disabled without being archived for roughly 1.5 years without further note from the owner or the reviewer, is this too long? I can see one circumstance where a cache could go this long as disabled, that being some sort of major construction. It is entirely possible that the piece of shrubbery the cache is hidden in is suddenly behind a security fence, if it is though shouldn't there be a note or some sort of update in a a year and a half?

In my area I have 2 caches that have been disabled without being archived for roughly 1.5 years without further note from the owner or the reviewer, is this too long? I can see one circumstance where a cache could go this long as disabled, that being some sort of major construction. It is entirely possible that the piece of shrubbery the cache is hidden in is suddenly behind a security fence, if it is though shouldn't there be a note or some sort of update in a a year and a half?

We're going to need the GC number. There are just too many variables involved to make a judgement call. Are they blocking a cache that you want to place? Your reviewer may have some information regarding the two caches that may not need to be public.

My apologies for being unclear, I was going more for the general discussion on how long a cache should remain disabled without there being a reason given rather than if these two caches have valid reasons to still exist.

We're going to need the GC number. There are just too many variables involved to make a judgement call. Are they blocking a cache that you want to place? Your reviewer may have some information regarding the two caches that may not need to be public.

I have no interest in these spots, nor do I know of anyone with interest in these two spots.

Agreed that there may be reasons that do not need to be public, ie a sick cache owner. One and a half years seems a stretch, but this is a possible scenario.

It depends. Why were these caches disabled? And, how many "needs archived" logs have been left on each listing, to alert the area reviewer?

Both were disabled because they went missing, in both instances that was the last communication (in public at least) by the CO. Until I just added mine, both caches only had one needs archived one six and the other nine months ago.

IMHO....

withint 30 days after a NA log, one of the following should happen.

1. CO fixes cache, or posts a log stating that they are aware of the issue & will be correcting the issue in a reasonable time frame &/or include why there is/will be a delay in fixing the cache.

2. CO archives cache.

3. Prime Reviewer issues/logs an official "30 day notice" for the CO to fix or archive.

For any caches that this doesn't happen with.. I forward the GC # on to the powers that exist through the "Contact Groundspeak" and let them handle the issue as they see fit.

As far as issuing NA logs. Thats not an easy thing to say when or when one shouldn't be issued. As a general rule, any cache that hasn't been found in at least 6 months with numerous DNF's & other logs citing ongoing issues where at the SAME time CO has not done anything to fix the cache &/or the CO has not logged onto Geocaching.com in the last 6 months or longer. For me... Exceptions to this do apply. In regards to issuing an NA log, one would/should be fair, just & understanding of the issues, because exceptions do apply.

TGC

Without some really amazing extenuating circumstances, three months is too long.

The local reviewer need to put down his pipe and get the job done.

Careful, I suspect there is much more to this story.

Yup. We've seen this a thousand times. Someone posts a thread to discuss a hypothetical discussion. Several people jump in with 'absolute' answers. The OP then introduces a specific scenario that falls outside the norm, but for good reason.

To the OP:

If you think the cache has been disabled for too long, post a NA log and move on with your life.

Looking at/or near, what I surmise is your Home Location, I'd have to agree that there are several examples of "too long". I would probably write the Local Reviewer or contact@ for a request to do a sweep of Disabled Listings in the area.

When I do a 500 cache PQ of Disabled Listings in an area, and I'm only getting a radius of 50 miles or so, I think that's getting to be an excessive number....or just an abundance of bad luck.

When I do a 500 cache PQ of Disabled Listings in an area, and I'm only getting a radius of 50 miles or so, I think that's getting to be an excessive number....or just an abundance of bad luck.

This made me curious, so I checked my area. I had to go out to 152 miles before hitting 500 disabled caches.

Unless I was trying to list a new cache close by, I'd hit the NA button and forget about it.

If I wanted to list a new cache I'd call up my local reviewer, Mtn-Man, on the Mtn-phone and be all "hey, what's up with that?" and then he'd get all "yo, here's the blabity blah" and then I'd be all "fo shizzle?" and then I'd go watch some Dexter and eat a pizza with my homegirl.

Edited by Castle Mischief

If I wanted to list a new cache I'd call up my local reviewer, Mtn-Man, on the Mtn-phone and be all "hey, what's up with that?" and then he'd get all "yo, here's the blabity blah" and then I'd be all "fo shizzle?" and then I'd go watch some Dexter and eat a pizza with my homegirl.

They say that mtn-man's one bad mother...

(Shut your mouth!)

Just talkin' 'bout mtn-man, can you dig it?

Yup. We've seen this a thousand times. Someone posts a thread to discuss a hypothetical discussion. Several people jump in with 'absolute' answers. The OP then introduces a specific scenario that falls outside the norm, but for good reason.

To the OP:

If you think the cache has been disabled for too long, post a NA log and move on with your life.

Yeah well, I wish the owner or the reviewer would share with the community why a cache has been disabled for over six months. How many "any status?", and NA's over the next year do I need to post to get a response? At least a 'push off' would be something. I only got that once from an owner with a 15 month Disabled cache.

To the OP:

Yeah well, I wish the owner or the reviewer would share with the community why a cache has been disabled for over six months. How many "any status?", and NA's over the next year do I need to post to get a response? At least a 'push off' would be something. I only got that once from an owner with a 15 month Disabled cache.

I'm not sure that third party random geocachers need a response. If I report something to a reviewer, then I know that he is aware of the issue and I can be resonably sure that the issue is being handled however he and/or TPTB feel is appropriate. I don't feel that I need to be kept informed of what is going on. I am not of the belief that all loops need to be closed.

My PQ shows 93 disabled caches within 100 miles. I clicked on quite a few of them to see how long they've been disabled and if the CO has been active recently. If a CO hasn't checked in for months, I feel it's likely they aren't going to do anything about it, so will sometimes post a NA. But, what I found interesting on most of them was that our local reviewer had posted notes in early Nov asking the COs what the status was and that they do something about them. Perhaps the next step will be archiving.

Last week I emailed a CO about a cache in a relly nice place that had gone missing 9 months age. After numerous DNF and NM I thought I'd shoot the owner an email. Well I got a very nice reply thanking me for letting him know and that he was going to go fix it.

Any reason he was ignoring the multiple DNF and NM logs??!??