Garmin GPSMAP 62st or Oregon 450t

TeamKT

I want to upgrade from my Garmin Legend Cx to something more compatible for caching. I love using my cell phone with an Android app because it uses satellite images. I really like the idea of using Garmin's birds eye view feature to make it more like my phone app. Is either unit going to be better in this application or not? Other than a touch screen they both look very comparable, unless I'm missing somthing else. Any input would be appretiated. Thanks

I want to upgrade from my Garmin Legend Cx to something more compatible for caching. I love using my cell phone with an Android app because it uses satellite images. I really like the idea of using Garmin's birds eye view feature to make it more like my phone app. Is either unit going to be better in this application or not? Other than a touch screen they both look very comparable, unless I'm missing somthing else. Any input would be appretiated. Thanks

The Oregon is much higher resolution, so it'll be better for BirdsEye View use.

Oregon resolution: 240 x 400 pixels

62S Resolution: 160 x 240 pixels

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide
Garmin 62st vs. 450t This is a side by side comparison on Garmin's site. First off I would suggest going for a non t model. You can get way better topo maps for free than the 100k maps included on the t models. You do get more internal memory on a 450t but it's not worth the price. You can get a 16GB micro SD card for much less. You can also play whereigos on the Oregon that you can't do on the 62. The Doc was right about the screen resolution as well. The Oregon has about twice the resolution. The 62 has a brighter screen but it's really only a factor if your eyesight isn't the greatest. And even then it comes down to personal preference. And finally there is the touch screen vs. buttons which again is personal preference. The touchscreen on the Oregons is pressure sensitive though so you can use it with gloves on. It all comes down to what your prefer. I personally have a 550. The camera has proved invaluable and the automatic geotagging of the photos is nice too. And for a built in camera on a GPSr is does take really good pictures.

It depends on your use. I am a hiker / skier, and the 62s is much superior for my use. I can mark locations on the trail with just two button presses (mark, enter), the screen is very easy to read, battery life very good, it can be used also with light gloves or inner gloves. For an outdoor device, it's very very good. The 450t, with the touch screen interface and poorer visibility, would not be quite as fast and simple to use in the field.

However, if when you go around, using the GPS is the main occupation (you don't have e.g. to keep up with a party of hikers or skiers, you can afford fiddling with it), then the 450t has a bigger screen, if somewhat less visible.

I agree with LucaPCP's comments; if you are going to use the GPS almost exclusively for caching, I would go with the Oregon 450. The high-resolution touch screen interface makes finding caches on the map and viewing their info very easy.

But if you plan on using the GPS for other things (hiking & activities, recording tracks, etc.), you might prefer the 62 series. Longer battery life, better screen visibility (depending on conditions), and easier to use with one hand thanks to the buttons.

Check this thread before you subscribe to Birdseye, you may rethink your decision.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=261334&st=0&p=4509755&hl=birdseye maps&fromsearch=1entry4509755

Thanks for the heads up. As of right now I'm not going to get the service. I have downloaded some pretty good maps that serve my purpose right now. I may however look into it down the road.

Thanks Again!

Check this thread before you subscribe to Birdseye, you may rethink your decision.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=261334&st=0&p=4509755&hl=birdseye maps&fromsearch=1entry4509755

Thanks for the heads up. As of right now I'm not going to get the service. I have downloaded some pretty good maps that serve my purpose right now. I may however look into it down the road.

Thanks Again!

You're very welcome.

I downloaded OK Map which I think will do what we want, but it's not very intuitive. Going to have to spend some time reading the manual. ok map home page It's freeware, and the developer was very responsive to some issues I was having downloading it.