Caches to Exclude from Statistics and Souvenirs

Moun10Bike

Here's a Locationless Cache that must not be on the list. It is giving me a Washington Souvenir that I do not really have.

GC9253

That's not a locationless cache (it's a traveling cache), and it is on the list. However, there was a bug discovered in the last week that was preventing caches on the list from being excluded when they should have been. I've gone ahead and removed the Washington souvenir from your profile.

We're a little confused. If Traveling Caches are against the guidelines, why do they continue to be published?

You are confused - traveling cache aren't being published, haven't been for 8 years.

The purpose of this thread is to identify caches to exclude from statistics and souvenirs, usually because the posted coordinates on the cache page aren't close to where/what a cacher logged them.

Most of the caches on that list are from 2003 or earlier.

Thanks. Originally thought that was the case, but a couple on the list have hidden dates of 2010 (GC59EF) and 2011 (GCD33F). Looking closer, they have logs prior to that. Our bad.

The Photographer's Cache

There are several caches in this traveling virtual cache group, it was fun to do but when we found it, it was in Quebec, but now it is giving me a find in Wisconsin. The other caches in this group are linked from this one.

That one (and the others like it) are already in the list. However, as I mentioned in my post to edscott, there was a bug discovered in the last week that was preventing caches on the list from being excluded in the awarding of souvenirs when they should have been. I've gone ahead and removed the Wisconsin souvenir from your profile.

The Photographer's Cache

There are several caches in this traveling virtual cache group, it was fun to do but when we found it, it was in Quebec, but now it is giving me a find in Wisconsin. The other caches in this group are linked from this one.

That one (and the others like it) are already in the list. However, as I mentioned in my post to edscott, there was a bug discovered in the last week that was preventing caches on the list from being excluded in the awarding of souvenirs when they should have been. I've gone ahead and removed the Wisconsin souvenir from your profile.

Ah, ok, now to make it to Wisconsin and earn my souvenir, thanks and Happy Geocaching!

The Peter Pan series (where teams in different cities around the world worked together)is really messing with my stats. Here's one of the series: GC183ZQ - Peter Pan Perth . Links to the related caches are on that page, I think. I'd love to have my real farthest north, south, east and farthest from home stats.

The Peter Pan series (where teams in different cities around the world worked together)is really messing with my stats. Here's one of the series: GC183ZQ - Peter Pan Perth.

The first post says those won't be added to the list:

We will also not be adding any caches with what I call "alternative" logging practices (e.g. long-distance paired multicaches that encourage the finder of a cache in city A to log the matching cache in city B without ever visiting city B, etc.).

Can the proper corrds be put back for these 2 GC4a53 and GC89E0 they really mess with my statistics,

Also would it be possible to put the name back on this one. GCB95

Thanks in advance

I was able to find the original coordinates for GC4A53 and use a posted photo with a GPS to approximate the location of GC89E. Let me know if that one needs more adjusting.

Can the proper corrds be put back for these 2 GC4a53 and GC89E0 they really mess with my statistics,

Also would it be possible to put the name back on this one. GCB95

Thanks in advance

I was able to find the original coordinates for GC4A53 and use a posted photo with a GPS to approximate the location of GC89E. Let me know if that one needs more adjusting.

Sorry the GC # was GC89E0 sorry my bad

OH GCB95 coords were close to here

N32.56.464 W117.14.836

Originally it was further out on the point and further south, it was 1 of the early ones that were moved to a new spot

Edited by vagabond

The first post says those won't be added to the list:

We will also not be adding any caches with what I call "alternative" logging practices (e.g. long-distance paired multicaches that encourage the finder of a cache in city A to log the matching cache in city B without ever visiting city B, etc.).

Oops ... missed that. But I'm not clear why these wouldn't be excluded if the goal is to have stats that reflect where people have actually been.

Oops ... missed that. But I'm not clear why these wouldn't be excluded if the goal is to have stats that reflect where people have actually been.

Because those are normal traditional caches that are at a permanent location. As you have already stated, the goal is to have stats that reflect where you've actually been so why did you log a cache where you haven't been?

Traveling caches are different as you actually have been to the location of the cache. Unfortunately the site doesn't track where the cache was at the time of your logging so that's why they're being excluded.

I would like to propose another addition to the bookmark list and the official internal database:

http://coord.info/GCB652 - Europaeische Paesse

One has to go to a mountain pass and take pictures of the GPS and the view from there. Just passes in Europe which no other cacher has claimed yet are allowed.

This cache can mess up statistics, maps, distances and souvenirs.

Edited by java.lang

I would like to propose another addition to the bookmark list and the official internal database:

http://coord.info/GCB652 - Europaeische Paesse

One has to go to a mountain pass and take pictures of the GPS and the view from there. Just passes in Europe which no other cacher has claimed yet are allowed.

This cache can mess up statistics, maps, distances and souvenirs.

That is not a virtual, it is a mislabeled loctionless cache and should have been archived along with the rest of the locationless caches.

• Upvote 1

Sorry for reviving this thread after more than 9 years, but my question fits perfectly in here.

The BM list of caches, which are excluded from location stats and souvenirs, used be reachable for many years at https://coord.info/BM1A6W6. However, this is no longer the case, so the list is either no longer public or has been deleted. Is there a specific reason for this? I found the list quite useful and interesting. Also, it might be useful for authors of Project-GC challenge checkers for location-based challenges.

5 hours ago, baer2006 said:

I found the list quite useful and interesting.

I found it useful and interesting too. :) It happened to contain some spoilers that were removed when transferred to Groundspeak HQ Admin account.

Edited by arisoft

I thought the list was gone completely, but I guess that would have caused more of a stir. Still, happy to see that the most recent batch of caches that don''t break any current rules was removed. Their inclusion felt rather unfair.

That said, I wonder why was GC4DWYY removed when the list was transferred? It is just an antipode puzzle right?

GCGWVP is an interesting inclusion, as most people seem to be logging it like a normal webcam cache these days. Possibly not even realizing what the intended task is/was.

I found this list, which presents itself as "copy with GC7G3HV added". After comparing, I see for example that geocache GC44C8 was removed from the official list and included back to statistics. Why? From the outside looking in, it looks like a classic traveling cache.

A few other caches I think should be excluded of the stats:

GC3220Z - Relay, moving a cuddly toy from the eastern border to the western border of Czechia.
GC39788 - Traveling geocacher. Geocache was published with exception, logbook is always with the owner - at home or at events.

GC1JH0M - Traveling cache (mostly). There were two film canisters in the beginning - first one on the final coordinates and second one attached to the Travel Bug. In 2014, geocache owner was asked by reviewers to remove the film box from the TravelBug - but that never happened, so 99% of the finds were off the final coordinates.

GC486ZC - I am not sure about that, but it looks like copy of already excluded GCV3CA.

• Helpful 1
On 8/1/2022 at 2:01 PM, Moun10Bike said:

I used to personally maintain that list, but I transferred responsibility over to HQ. The new list is now hosted by the Groundspeak HQ Admin account at https://www.geocaching.com/plan/lists/BM5ZCK5.

This list no longer exists. Accidental deletion?

645623092_Screenshot2023-03-17at1_21_45PM.thumb.png.b148135a38a4be1d9cef7bc8b731eb70.png

This has broken a couple of Challenge checkers on Project-GC.