Caches to Exclude from Statistics and Souvenirs

Moun10Bike

I've just finished compiling a list of all caches that I know of that should be excluded from statistics (the distance- and state- or country-based ones) and souvenirs. These have been compiled from existing bookmark lists, my own experiences, and emails and other direct messages from cachers. The list lives here:

I've also just finished adding all of these to our master list in the database. This means that if your statistics have incorrectly indicated a state you've never been to or showed a traveling cache as your most distant find when you actually found it just down the street, your stats should now be correct. Souvenirs are unfortunately not calculated dynamically, so those that have already been released will not be affected by this change. You are welcome to email contact@geocaching.com asking to have any souvenirs removed that you have not been correctly awarded.

Do you know of any other caches that should be included in this list? Keep in mind that locationless caches are already excluded as a class from souvenirs and statistics, so they will not be added. We will also not be adding any caches with what I call "alternative" logging practices (e.g. long-distance paired multicaches that encourage the finder of a cache in city A to log the matching cache in city B without ever visiting city B, etc.).

Thanks!

1) Great list - thanks for compiling this! I wonder if this should be stickied because I'm sure a month from now this thread will die off then someone will ask again...

2) Is there any reason why the 'pretty much a locationless' caches aren't just changed to actual Locationaless Caches?

3) I wish Moving Caches had their own icon.

how does a geocacher know where to find a traveling cache? Or is just by luck and knowing what you've found?

Get lucky when one of them shows up at an Event near you. I didn't realize they still existed until one showed up near me because TeamSnook is bring it to Cacheapalooza 5.

What a great list! Pardom me if this is off-topic, but how does a geocacher know where to find a traveling cache? Or is just by luck and knowing what you've found?

Some of the "true" traveling caches (i.e., the ones that aren't just lugged around to events for everyone to sign) I keep on my watchlist so that if they turn up nearby I have a shot at running out and grabbing them.

2) Is there any reason why the 'pretty much a locationless' caches aren't just changed to actual Locationaless Caches?

I thought it would be a good idea to do that for accuracy's sake, but when I tried it with "Four Windows" a couple of weeks ago, the outrage from the community was pretty resounding.

3) I wish Moving Caches had their own icon.

Won't happen unless Jeremy changes his mind. :)

I thought it would be a good idea to do that for accuracy's sake, but when I tried it with "Four Windows" a couple of weeks ago, the outrage from the community was pretty resounding.
The problem with couch potato caches is that they aren't really locationless caches. They aren't really virtual caches either, but Groundspeak doesn't have a "couch potato" cache type, so there isn't a way to identify them correctly.

Given that they can't be identified correctly, the choice is based on side effects. The side effect of listing them as virtual caches is that they seem to have a location, which screws with statistics until Groundspeak flags them so they're ignored for statistical purposes. The side effect of listing them as locationless is that some newcomers get the locationless icon long after locationless caches were archived and locked, and the statistics of others who logged couch potato virtual caches are changed. That's what brought the complaints.

Although "Four Windows" GCF55A is on the master list and no longer affects my latitude stats, it still gives me Germany on my visited countries map. Was this statistic supposed to have been eliminated by the original fix?

The map to which you refer is not being generated by us; it is coming from MyGeocachingProfile.com which is simply reading what is present in the GPX file you uploaded there. When we roll out our own maps at the next release, Four Windows will be ignored and you will not see Germany on your map.

Here are a few I've found that aren't on your list:

www.wherespo.com

KLINGON BIRD of PREY Micro-Traveler

Now You See It, Now You Don't(moves within a limited area)

Hmmm, in addition to those three I've also found 5 others already on the list:

The Corps of Discovery, Moving Target, Photographer's Cache: Chicago Style, The Photographer's Cache III & Geocaching Nut Traveling Cache.

Think I'll try and track down a couple of more and make it an even 10. :)

Here are a few I've found that aren't on your list:

www.wherespo.com

KLINGON BIRD of PREY Micro-Traveler

Now You See It, Now You Don't(moves within a limited area)

Hmmm, in addition to those three I've also found 5 others already on the list:

The Corps of Discovery, Moving Target, Photographer's Cache: Chicago Style, The Photographer's Cache III & Geocaching Nut Traveling Cache.

Think I'll try and track down a couple of more and make it an even 10. :)

Thanks! I've added the first two to the list; I'm leaving off the last one (for now) since it looks like it was always in the same general area (i.e. is unlikely to give in unwarranted souvenir or invalid most distant cache).

We're a little confused. If Traveling Caches are against the guidelines, why do they continue to be published?

You are confused - traveling cache aren't being published, haven't been for 8 years.

The purpose of this thread is to identify caches to exclude from statistics and souvenirs, usually because the posted coordinates on the cache page aren't close to where/what a cacher logged them.

Most of the caches on that list are from 2003 or earlier.

I've just finished compiling a list of all caches that I know of that should be excluded from statistics (the distance- and state- or country-based ones) and souvenirs. These have been compiled from existing bookmark lists, my own experiences, and emails and other direct messages from cachers. The list lives here:

I've also just finished adding all of these to our master list in the database. This means that if your statistics have incorrectly indicated a state you've never been to or showed a traveling cache as your most distant find when you actually found it just down the street, your stats should now be correct. Souvenirs are unfortunately not calculated dynamically, so those that have already been released will not be affected by this change. You are welcome to email contact@geocaching.com asking to have any souvenirs removed that you have not been correctly awarded.

Do you know of any other caches that should be included in this list? Keep in mind that locationless caches are already excluded as a class from souvenirs and statistics, so they will not be added. We will also not be adding any caches with what I call "alternative" logging practices (e.g. long-distance paired multicaches that encourage the finder of a cache in city A to log the matching cache in city B without ever visiting city B, etc.).

Thanks!

Anyway to change your mind about not allowing the locationless? A smiley is a smiley afterall :)

Anyway to change your mind about not allowing the locationless? A smiley is a smiley afterall :)
I think you misunderstand. Old finds on locationless caches still count as a find, and still give you a smiley. But given the nature of locationless caches, it doesn't make sense to report statistics (or to award souvenirs) based on their locations.
I think you misunderstand. Old finds on locationless caches still count as a find, and still give you a smiley. But given the nature of locationless caches, it doesn't make sense to report statistics (or to award souvenirs) based on their locations.

No I totally understand, what I am getting at is if you get a smiley for the cache type (even locationless), then you should get all the rewards that go with it. I look at it this way, did I meet all the qualifications when I logged the locationless caches...yes. I feel that since you claimed the cache the right way, it should count towards the new stats/maps/ and souvineers.

No I totally understand, what I am getting at is if you get a smiley for the cache type (even locationless), then you should get all the rewards that go with it. I look at it this way, did I meet all the qualifications when I logged the locationless caches...yes. I feel that since you claimed the cache the right way, it should count towards the new stats/maps/ and souvineers.

But you can "find" locationless "caches" using locations anywhere on the globe. If you've "found" a locationless "cache" that's listed in Arizona using a location that's in Iowa, it doesn't make sense to give you the Arizona souvenir or show a found cache in Arizona for you, as you've never been there. The country/state/region designation of locationless "caches" is purely arbitrary. It would make more sense if it counted as a find in Iowa, but unfortunately the coordinate/region mapping is non-trivial.

Edited by dfx