colorado300

Guido71

Anybody else having trouble with the Colorado 300 being off 50-75 feet? This happens so often, that if I'm unable to locate a cache in a considerable amount of time, I'll move out to 50+ feet radius. Are there any settings I could change to help correct this. I've done the updates and calibrations and it's still giving me problems.

Since nobody else here is saying it, I'm gonna.

I had my first tracklog wanders off 100M and stays there bug in many months last weekend. Colorado 3.52 beta. Track stayed out by 100M for a 500M hike until I noticed and rebooted the device. GPS was dead on accurate then.

To the OP: You might want to check your datum as well (ie: WGS84) if your co-ordinates are consistenlty out.

I had this happen repeatedly with all firmware versions. There where multiple threads in the past about this subject.

It seems to happen when there is a lot of reception issues (e.g. double path/signal bounce) - for me mostly when I am close to difficutl terrain (rocks with lot's of RF reflectiveness or close to steep rocky slopes)... The problem is there is no indication that accuracy is off and there is no self correction. I have searched for caches 400-500 feet of GZ because my GPS thought I was there... Power off and Power on and within 5 seconds it showed me the correct GZ 500 feet away...

I have dumped my Colorado 300 and switched to a GPSMAP 62S - so far this has not happend with the 62S...

Having had the Colorado 300 for the almost three years,I can honestly say I've never had many of the issues that have found there way onto this forum since the product was released. I'm not a hard-core user and perhaps don't notice the concerns expressed by others with my unit.

Edited by flyjazz

I last checked for updates yesterday. And then out in the middle of a field, with no trees, I compared the accuracy to my old 60Csx. It was off by 60+/- feet. I've been out with other cachers and stop to look and they say they have another 50-60 feet to go. This is compared to Delorme PN-40, Oregons, and various other units. I checked the Datum and it is set to WSG84. Looks like it might be just my unit, guess it's time to change.

Thanks for the input!

When I went out with my friend's 62csx, we were usually within 10 feet of one another. I suppose that if you have not tried a master reset, it could not hurt. That was always the recommended solution for our IT guy at work, and yesterday I did solve a problem with the office copier using that method. But when the USB port on my Colorado failed, I took the money from the third party warranty and switched over to the 62s.

I had my first tracklog wanders off 100M and stays there bug in many months last weekend. Colorado 3.52 beta. Track stayed out by 100M for a 500M hike until I noticed and rebooted the device. GPS was dead on accurate then.

Hmmm, mine stopped doing that a long time ago. As I, like you, look closely at all my tracks, I'm quite sure it has not happened to me for quite a few firmware releases.

To the OP, can you please go into the setup menu and report back the firmware version and the GPS software version.

Also try a master reset (hold down both soft button while powering up).

Currently running

Beta Software 3.52

GPS Software Version 2.90

Now that's just STRANGE. Those two versions never did go together. Even release version 3.50 came with GPS firmware 3.70. Heck, the GPS firmware was 3.70 as far back as the 3.12 beta. You've got issues.

The current release version is application 4.10 with GPS firmware 4.52.

It time (long past) to get updated there. If you're having trouble getting it from the Garmin site, you can obtain the *.gcd file that can you can drag and drop onto the Garmin WebUpdater program here:

http://garminoregon....pdater__410.gcd

Edited by ecanderson

Currently running

Beta Software 3.52

Now that's just STRANGE. Those two versions never did go together. Even release version 3.50 came with GPS firmware 3.70. Heck, the GPS firmware was 3.70 as far back as the 3.12 beta. You've got issues.

The current release version is application 4.10 with GPS firmware 4.52.

It time (long past) to get updated there. If you're having trouble getting it from the Garmin site, you can obtain the *.gcd file that can you can drag and drop onto the Garmin WebUpdater program here:

http://garminoregon....pdater__410.gcd

No issues, here; it's a colorado not an oregon. 3.52/2.90 is the latest for the colorado.

To the OP, can you please go into the setup menu and report back the firmware version and the GPS software version.

Currently running

Beta Software 3.52

Well, you are running beta software...you could try rolling back to the last non-beta. Personally, I'm still on 3.0 (and GPS 2.90) on my Colorado 400t because I haven't found a benefit to upgrading (since I don't use the birds eye satellite imagery)...and the early beta versions after 3.0 all degraded my map refreshes when changing the zoom level. I find my current setup to be very stable. YMMV

Currently running

Beta Software 3.52

Well, you are running beta software...you could try rolling back to the last non-beta. Personally, I'm still on 3.0 (and GPS 2.90) on my Colorado 400t because I haven't found a benefit to upgrading (since I don't use the birds eye satellite imagery)...and the early beta versions after 3.0 all degraded my map refreshes when changing the zoom level. I find my current setup to be very stable. YMMV

3.60 is now available from Webupdater, and it's not a beta. I suspect they just rebranded 3.52 as 3.60 based on the release notes but you never know if there's a hidden fix in there.