How does Paperless Caching work on Oregon GPS

junmy3

I may be forced to change my current paperless approach. I currently use a Etrex Legend and a Palm M515. I enter the data buy loading pocket queries into GSAK. If I purchase one of the Oregon GPSs do you still need GSAK or similar program or can you load pocket queries directly from geocaching.com. Thanks

I may be forced to change my current paperless approach. I currently use a Etrex Legend and a Palm M515. I enter the data buy loading pocket queries into GSAK. If I purchase one of the Oregon GPSs do you still need GSAK or similar program or can you load pocket queries directly from geocaching.com. Thanks

Since you use GSAK already, you can still use it to load them. Or you can download the PQ to your computer, unzip the file, then browse to your GPS and drop the files into the GPX folder.

As far as i can work out it is much easier.

I have not used GSAK at all, although i did have a look a while back.

With the oregon just plug it into your PC

When your pocket query comes through just open the attachment and a new window will appear asking what you want to do with the file.

Extract the file directly to the GPX file on the Oregon, job done.

All the waypoints and caches will be on the Oregon with the descriptions and the last few logs.

The only thing missing will be HTML coded bits and pictures, if they were on the cache page.

When the next query come through just overwrite the file, or go into the gpx file and delete the files maunually.

Email to GPSr in around 20 seconds and then out caching a few minutes later :lol:

I pretty much stopped using GSAK once I started using all the features on my Oregon. Load the PQ after unzipping right from the site.

But keep in mind that GSAK does a lot more than load caches on your unit. It allows for much more fine tuning on just what caches you would like to hunt over PQs.

There's a few bits and pieces of information missing when you load the PQ onto the Oregon directly, that can or could be supplemented when running the data through GSAK or similar software first.

• No distinction between disabled and active caches. Easily remedied by just excluding them from the PQ if that's an option for you.
  • No hidden/placed date.
  • No attributes.
  • For logs, only "found it" and DNF logs will have their respective icons, for all other log types it's impossible to tell what they are.
  • Additional waypoints only appear with their cryptic waypoint code as name, so it's hard to tell which cache they belong to and what they are.

• Additional waypoints only appear with their cryptic waypoint code as name, so it's hard to tell which cache they belong to and what they are.

I been searching for how to do this, but I can't find it. Is there a macro to rename the waypionts to match the cache name? I haven't been using my GSAK since I got my 450.

I been searching for how to do this, but I can't find it. Is there a macro to rename the waypionts to match the cache name? I haven't been using my GSAK since I got my 450.

i use my own scripts to process the GPX data, so someone else will have to answer this.

Here are the macro's that I use for grabbing coordinates from the cache descriptions as well as loading them on my Oregon 450. When you use these two together it takes the extra coordinates and puts them as POI's with the actual names of the caches and not just the GC number. The last macro is really useful for creating filters on the Garmin Oregon.

GrabLogCoordinates.gsk

GarminExportBeta.gsk

FilterCreatorGarminOregon.gsk

Edited by kywaterfowler

Here are the macro's that I use for grabbing coordinates from the cache descriptions as well as loading them on my Oregon 450. When you use these two together it takes the extra coordinates and puts them as POI's with the actual names of the caches and not just the GC number. The last macro is really useful for creating filters on the Garmin Oregon.

GrabLogCoordinates.gsk

GarminExportBeta.gsk

FilterCreatorGarminOregon.gsk

Thank you, I'll check them out

I still like GSAK for loading my Oregon. As stated earlier GSAK can slice and dice the PQs like nothing else, also allowing you to see what you are going to load before you do so. I like to keep puzzles in my PQ for instance, but only load the solved ones into the GPS so that I'm not out there looking at the bogus coords and going after it. Some parts of the area are thick with them and they just confuse the issue. I do like the ability of copying my field notes on caches from the Oregon. Of course I could fine tune the PQ before I even get it, but then I might miss the easy puzzles, the sort I do best with. ;)