travel bug at O'Hare

Hi, I am brand new to geo-caching. WE have only 10 finds. We had intended to wait a while before picking up a travel bug due to being new to this. We WERE planning to pick one or two up and take them on our trip to yellowstone in August, but since that is two months away we have been busying ourselves with learning to cache. Also, since we dont know how often we will be caching I didn't want to pick one up and not know when we would be placing it in another cache. However, in following one of the threads related to travel bug hotels near airports I discovered there is a travel bug in the O'Hare cache that wants to visit cheese country. We live in WI and I happen to be traveling to O'hare twice this weekend. And the friend I am taking to and from the airport has agreed to geo-cache for a day while she is here. So, I am debating about picking this travel bug up. But I am concerned about wandering around the area alone with my gps and about picking a travel bug up so new into the game of geo-caching myself. What are people's thoughts?

Vicki

quote:
But I am concerned about wandering around the area alone with my gps and about picking a travel bug up so new into the game of geo-caching myself. What are people's thoughts?

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to Geocaching!

Are you concerned about your safety at the cache location? I have not found this cache yet but have explored it for a time when I am not in a hurry to make a flight. Seems that this is in a very public area and I would suspect it is safe. If you haven't already, look at the Mapquest page for this cache at higher zoom levels and you will see what I mean.

I have not personally met Old Ranger (the owner of the TB) but we have corresponded several times as we are from the same area. I'm taking a guess here but I suspect that Old Ranger and his grandaughter would be happy to have you move it closer to its first cheese factory. Drop them a note and let them know you intentions.

Happy caching!

George

Hi George,

I was slightly worried about safety in the sense that I don't know Chicago or O'Hare well at all. But also concerned about the possible reaction from airport security, too many horror rumors about airport security I suppose.

Thanks for the info about zooming in on the map! I had not even realized you could do that!! Nice to have that information.

My next move was going to be to email Old Ranger and let him know what I was up to. I expect to arrive at O'Hare early (depending on traffic) and hope to have extra time.

Thank you for your reply,

Vicki

Hi, Vick.

The O'Hare cache is in a fairly out of the way location at the airport. When I hid it back in November, security appeared to be making routine passes on floors below the cache site. So I don't think you have much to fear, but if you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to email me because I don't wanna give away too much here about the location.

Thanks a bunch and welcome to geocaching!! icon_smile.gif