FTF Reward

Frickley56

I have searched through the forums but could not find the answer to my question on FTF. What i want to know, is there a special reward left in a cache for the FTF. If so where can i get one as i am wanting to place my first cache. Sorry if this question has been posted before.

Frickley56

Hello and welcome to the forums!

It's entirely up to the cache owner.

It used to be quite common for the cache owner to leave a congratulations certificate for the FTF. We have even received and given unactivated Geocoins as prizes but it's pretty rare these days and certainly not expected...

We were FTF on a few caches before Christmas where each one had a prize of a compass 'for when the GPS lets you down!'

Mark

The best FTF prize I have been lucky enough to get was a home made keyring - maid from an old computer chip board. Part of the puzzle involved working out Binary code and I thought it was a really nice touch.

You can also purchase FTF badges and the like from various online geocaching retailers such as Geotees (there are others so you may want to shop around)

My recommendation is to go for something a little different if you can as IMHO it is much nicer.

Good Luck

Chris

Hello and welcome to the forums!

It's entirely up to the cache owner.

It used to be quite common for the cache owner to leave a congratulations certificate for the FTF. We have even received and given unactivated Geocoins as prizes but it's pretty rare these days and certainly not expected...

We were FTF on a few caches before Christmas where each one had a prize of a compass 'for when the GPS lets you down!'

Mark

It used to quite part of the pleasure of setting up a good cache with a good FTF gift too.

With the utilisation of more micro, nano, and throw down caches, it became less routine. Massive circuits where one caching team is likely to pick up many FTF credits also added to the demise.

My early caches saw unactivated coins as gifts, now I rarely bother with FTF trophies.

The joy of geocaching is the diversity though, and the individuality you create will be treasured.

A surprise if usually more appreciated than the expected. :D

I have searched through the forums but could not find the answer to my question on FTF. What i want to know, is there a special reward left in a cache for the FTF. If so where can i get one as i am wanting to place my first cache. Sorry if this question has been posted before.

Frickley56

The best I ever read about was a cache that allegedly had a voucher for a brand new GPS in it as an FTF prize. I suspect most people lack the means to hand out free GPS units however hard their cache might be, so do whatever you feel is appropriate. If that means nothing specific, that's fine too.

There is really no need to leave anything for a FTF prize. We once were third to find on a cache and the CO had not posted that he had placed a $20 gift certificate to a nearby restaurant. The first two finders had not bothered to look in the cache but only signed the log book. I guess they were in a hurry to get to the next cache. The wife and I had a very nice dinner. Other that patting yourself on the back it doesn't matter if you were first or the 100th finder.

I think it's a nice idea to leave a FTF prize, especially on puzzle caches that require quite a bit of time from the cacher. I usually leave a $10-$20 gift card, depending on how hard the puzzle cache was. In my area the puzzle caches I've gotten FTF on usually have an unactivated coin as a prize.

Sometimes we find a few dollars for the FTF prize.

We leave a laminated FTF certificate, maybe a 1st place badge or plastic medal (Sainsburys), occasionally a plastic trophy cup (Tesco)

In our larger hides, we may also leave a 2TF wooden spoon for the FTF Hounds :anibad:

Many FTF seekers are only looking for the blank log book but we enjoy providing FTF treats for those cachers who are on one of their first FTF's

My cutlery drawer is full of those wooden spoons :mad:

I set a series, but released them over a period of time, I left an unactivated travel bug (I bought about 30 of them off ebay by accident - as you do) I did ask if the FTF had already claimed one of them to leave it for the next finder, No way of policing this, but those FTF hounds did as they were asked

Edited by Boggin's Dad

Although we haven't created many hides, I did think that for our puzzle cache (Cryptex) a FTF prize was suitable as if people have gone to the effort of solving your puzzles, then it's nice to add a little back. In that case, we left an Argos voucher that the FTF and STF shared as they got there at thye same time !

I don't expect anything but it is nice is there is something special / different ......