Experience with the Garmin GPSmap 62?

I'm trying to see if anyone has any experience with the Garmin GPSmap 62. It appears I need to get a new GPSr and saw this one on REI.com but couldn't find any reviews of it here and only one on REI. I'm just sick of getting DNFs because my GPSr wont read under any kind of tree cover. Thanks for any input you guys can give me!

I don't know anyone who has one. I seriously lust for a 62S. Maybe this coming year I can upgrade from my Etrex Legend. Don't get me wrong, I love my Etrex. It is however a bit tedious inputting caches manually, and reception is jumpy to nonexistent under cover of heavy foliage. The 62S has two advantages. The first is the antennae. The design gets better reception (under trees in particular). The second is going paperless.

From the info I have read, any of the Garmin 62 series would be great.

I have owned a 62s since it was released and have used it heavily. It's every bit the navigational/positional tool the 60 series was and then some. In my opinion it is among the more sensitive GPS's Garmin makes owing to the Quad-Helix antenna which, when held vertically, is tough to break sat-lock regardless of conditions. I also have an Oregon 450. FWIW

Here's a link to an excellent review: Garmin 62 Review

Edited by yogazoo

I have had a 62s since early last fall. Recent firmware improvements have helped with getting WAAS acquisition quickly and not lose it. I also have a PN-40 and have compared both units side by side. Each one takes you to the spot (waypoint). A plus with the 62s in better battery life over the PN-40, but the new PN-60's battery life is comparable to the 62 series. Overall, I am happy with the 62s and would recommend any of the 62 series.

It is however a bit tedious inputting caches manually, and reception is jumpy to nonexistent under cover of heavy foliage.

I don't know why you are entering caches manually. I have an Etrex Legend HCx and an aged Venture, only a basic membership and yet I can send caches to them with no trouble using the "Send to my GPS" button.

I just picked one of these up at REI yesterday and so far, I am impressed. Only minor bummer is my unit has a burned out pixel in the display, but other than that, no regrets. No squeaky case, either.

Here is a link to my quick first impressions thread:

My link

Comparing it to the Oregon 450 I had for a while, you can definitely notice the reduced screen resolution. But for better viewing in shady conditions, I'll gladly take the resolution hit.

Honestly, I think this will be the last GPS I will buy for quite a while. Plenty of features and forward compatibility with new Garmin offerings (chirp, heart rate monitor, etc.). I'm sure Garmin will get the unit firmware perfected, too.

I picked my 62S up in December and have found >100 caches with it so far... Previous GPS was an Oregon 300 (and a 60CS). Reception is significantly more stable then on the Oregon - especially in mountain/canyon areas.... Crashed once so far - so pretty stable... No issues and absolutely no regrets - I would buy it again...

I just picked one of these up at REI yesterday and so far, I am impressed. Only minor bummer is my unit has a burned out pixel in the display, but other than that, no regrets. No squeaky case, either.

Here is a link to my quick first impressions thread:

My link

Comparing it to the Oregon 450 I had for a while, you can definitely notice the reduced screen resolution. But for better viewing in shady conditions, I'll gladly take the resolution hit.

Honestly, I think this will be the last GPS I will buy for quite a while. Plenty of features and forward compatibility with new Garmin offerings (chirp, heart rate monitor, etc.). I'm sure Garmin will get the unit firmware perfected, too.

I had a burnt pixel in an old Oregon 300 and Garmin replaced it as defective. Given you bought it at an REI you could return it there too. I would get it exchanged though because a burnt pixel works on you. FWIW

I don't know why you are entering caches manually. I have an Etrex Legend HCx and an aged Venture, only a basic membership and yet I can send caches to them with no trouble using the "Send to my GPS" button.

I don't have the USB adapter cable for mine. It came with the serial plug in. Money being tight, I haven't bought the adapter cable.

(I only have a premium membership because of a gift that included one month free.)