Geocaching Website

rawkhopper

Just for kicks decided to look at the wayback machine for what geocaching.com used to look like. I am one who thinks that the website could use some improvement such as integrating the changes from gctidy, but lets be thankful for what we have.

Looking back in time is a great way to be thankful. So here is what the site would have looked like back on Nov 9, 2000.

It is nice to note that this is not the first rendition of the website. This is the first captured by the wayback machine.

Can we please not allow private posts to show up in the lists for us free users? It's a pain to check out a listing only to find out that it's only available to paid users. Thanks for the consideration.

Your post doesn't seem to make any sense to me in the context of this thread. Are you sure you intended to post it here?

Can we please not allow private posts to show up in the lists for us free users? It's a pain to check out a listing only to find out that it's only available to paid users. Thanks for the consideration.

I'm afraid I don't understand your post. There have been no links in this thread to content for premium members only. You are welcome to start a separate topic on this subject, or to start a suggestion in the Feedback forum.

So far the best laugh I got was following the link to the Slashdot article full of comments how the hobby is bound to fail for a wide range of reasons.

Oh, looks like a bunch of Slashdot regulars (back in the day of course) bantering amongst themselves. Anyways, I've used the wayback machine to look at many websites over the years, and it's always very interesing. I especially use it to look at a website I created, that has long since been taken over by someone else. Man, and to think we almost all had AOL accounts back then, and were dialing into the internet on a 56K modem. And I missed a lot of phone calls back then too, I'm sure. :lol:

I do the same with the wayback machine. Unfortunately the first site I created was not captured by the wayback machine.

Anyway it is nice to note the high-tech rollover image change feature for back in 2000 was pretty nifty. I remember trying to do that across multiple browsers and it was a pain in the butt.

Internet Explorer ruled the internet and actually was the most high-tech browser back then. It may not have adhered to any semblance of standards but it was actually the other browsers that held back fancy websites.

I checked the GCA6 Strathcona Wilderness 1, it is still active.

That is interesting to see that one there. It is Alberta's original stash.

Alvin`s Phone Line, which is still active also, was the first in MN. Remember driving 80+ miles in a snowstorm in Nov. 2001 but had to turn back so didnt get to look.