Adding something to a cache title.

BlueMoth

I have a number of pioneer cemetery caches. I am thinking of adding RIP to the title of each of them. We don't use the term "Spirit Quest" here, but I was thinking RIP might be useful for people who like to seek out cemetery caches, as there is no cemetery attribute I can attach. I don't know why I didn't think of it when I initally wrote them up, but I am thinking about it now. My cache Emily Bell would now become RIP Emily Bell or Emily Bell: RIP. Is it considered bad form to add a bit more verbage to the cache title? Has anyone ever changed their cache title, and if so, why, and how was it received?

I see no need to add anything like "spirit quest" or "RIP" or anything else to any cemetary or similar cache at all. If you are going to do it - add it at the end though. I have seen many cache name changes over the years - sometimes it creates confusion but generally goes un-noticed.

I was thinking that the end of the title would be the best place to put RIP, thanks for reinforcing that idea.

I had a dscussion with some cachers awhile ago who were avid pioneer cemetery cachers. They mentioned that when they traveled they wished for either an attribute, or something in the title that made it obvious which caches they could seek out. I have thought the same thing myself. Sometimes you miss a good one (when traveling) because some people put nothing in the title or description to indicate it is a pioneer cemetery. You just end up skipping it. So I was wondering if putting in RIP would be helpful or not.

I see no need to add anything like "spirit quest" or "RIP" or anything else to any cemetary or similar cache at all. If you are going to do it - add it at the end though. I have seen many cache name changes over the years - sometimes it creates confusion but generally goes un-noticed.

I was thinking that the end of the title would be the best place to put RIP, thanks for reinforcing that idea.

I also agree with that. For me, it makes it easier to remember which one is which, for one thing (probably just a peculiarity of my peculiar brain) and also easier for those with older GPS's that can only hold a few characters of the cache name.

I love those old cemetery caches, by the way. We have some very well-done spirit quest caches nearby. Mossy old marble headstones, cast iron plot fences, overgrown trees... just very cool pieces of history.

I love those old cemetery caches, by the way. We have some very well-done spirit quest caches nearby. Mossy old marble headstones, cast iron plot fences, overgrown trees... just very cool pieces of history.

I love them too. I think it is great for people to come and visit pioneer cemeteries and pay their respects to our collective ancestors. If it were not for geocaching, some of them would be completely forgotten.

I went ahead and gave all the titles R.I.P. It doesn't seem to have confused anything about the listing and even gives all of them a bit more clarity.

I once completely changed the name of a cache I own - totally different name. The only comment I got was from someone who tried unsuccessfully to find it before the name change, then successfully found it after the name change. He wrote in the log asking me why I changed the name. Otherwise, no complaints or even comments.