Chirp without compatible GPS

NickMackz

This may sound like a stupid question, but are there any ways to receive data from a Garmin Chirp using a device that isn't one of there GPSs. If the data is sent using a standard type of wireless connection (for example 2.4 GHz wifi) then there are probably ways to hack/modify another device to receive the data. Has anyone managed to find out how the data is transmitted or a way to receive it?

My other question is whether you actually need to be able to receive chirp data to find a chirp cache? As I understand it, you need to be less than 32 feet away to receive the data so the coordinates must bring you this close and you should be able to find the cache from this distance without the help from the chirp anyway.

I geocache with a Garmin 60CSx. I have no intention of upgrading to 62s or similar as my GPS is only 2 weeks old and I bought it instead of a newer alternative because other units were out of my budget by a long way. I had a budget of £170 maximum and got the 60CSx new off eBay for £130. :) Newer units such as the 62s are not available in the UK for less than about £240. Apart from the lack of chirp compatibility, I am extremely happy with the 60CSx and the lack of paperless caching doesn't bother me because you need a premium account to use that. I know that it is only $30 / £18 but I am at school so I don't have much money. It is not that difficult to copy and paste the cache details to a txt file and save them to my phone or iPod. :laughing:

Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Edited by Mako-Shark

The chirp is based on ANT+. While there aren't any third party options yet, Wahoofitness is working several ANT keys that may allow other GPS's or smartphones to communicate with a chirp.

GO$Rs

As of November 11 Wahoo has chirp support in their beta API (requires their ANT+ dongle as mentioned above). They were looking for third party developers to actually implement chirp apps. Not sure if anything has come out of the woodwork yet.

Also beta means not ready for customers (particularly when talking SDK) so we'll prolly have to wait a while yet.

The chirp is based on ANT+. While there aren't any third party options yet, Wahoofitness is working several ANT keys that may allow other GPS's or smartphones to communicate with a chirp.

GO$Rs

As of November 11 Wahoo has chirp support in their beta API (requires their ANT+ dongle as mentioned above). They were looking for third party developers to actually implement chirp apps. Not sure if anything has come out of the woodwork yet.

Also beta means not ready for customers (particularly when talking SDK) so we'll prolly have to wait a while yet.

Hi,

Our SDK is only considered Beta, because we haven't had anyone implement and test it. We've built a demo App that functions as expected and any issues we might find can be quickly resolved. We do have a couple of folks working on Apps now, so hopefully you'll see something soon. I've also been meaning to get in touch with the folks here at GeoCaching.com regarding adding support to Groundspeak, but until today haven't had a free minute! Maybe somebody here can put me in touch with the right person at Groundspeak via PM?

thanks,

Chip (from Wahoo)