iPhone 4 Winter Protective Case-Holder

I live in Illinois. We cache in snow. How do I protect my iPhone 4 ??

I currently have my iPhone 4 in a 2-piece black leather CaseMate holder. The phone slips into a case and that case then slips into a "holster." The holster has that clip on the back that's supposed to hold it onto your belt or pocket but doesn't so I would never use it, AND the case easily slips out of the holster if I don't hold it tight enough.

I loved the case when I got it in October but it's just not cutting it for winter caching. I have nightmares about dropping my phone, picking it up and finding every crevace packed with snow !!

Beef...the iPhone 4 rocks BUT the touch screen doesn't respond to GLOVED HANDS !

Is there a winter-friendly iPhone 4 cover/case/protector out there that will allow me to carry my iPhone like a GPSr while caching instead of a baby in a cradle ? Everytime I go into the brush and a clump of snow falls from a tree and lands on my phone, I panic !

I currently have my iPhone 4 in a 2-piece black leather CaseMate holder. The phone slips into a case and that case then slips into a "holster." The holster has that clip on the back that's supposed to hold it onto your belt or pocket but doesn't so I would never use it, AND the case easily slips out of the holster if I don't hold it tight enough.

I loved the case when I got it in October but it's just not cutting it for winter caching. I have nightmares about dropping my phone, picking it up and finding every crevace packed with snow !!

Beef...the iPhone 4 rocks BUT the touch screen doesn't respond to GLOVED HANDS !

Is there a winter-friendly iPhone 4 cover/case/protector out there that will allow me to carry my iPhone like a GPSr while caching instead of a baby in a cradle ? Everytime I go into the brush and a clump of snow falls from a tree and lands on my phone, I panic !

I hate to have to break it to you but the iPhone is not really a substitute for a handheld gps. Yes, it is great for paperless caching, but the cheapest gps out there like an old Etrex Legend will be much more likely to survive the abuse you give it when you drop it in the snow, and is likely to cost less than what you'll pay for a rugged case for the iPhone.

But here's a review of cases, including "rugged" ones: http://reviews.cnet.com/top-25-tough-iphone-cases and of course there's always Otterbox.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Invest in a pair of glider gloves or gloves meant for capacitive screens - 180s makes some I spotted at JC Penney on my last USA shopping trip then no problems using an iPhone 4 with gloves on. Otterbox Defender cases are the more rugged of the cases that I am aware of. I tend to favour Pelican cases for extreme conditions (canoe tripping for example) but that completely removes screen interaction.

No idea why I couldn't find this thread I started the last few times I searched for it. I've been wanting to share what I've found !

When I first got my iPhone 4 I bought a leather CaseMate case. It was 3 pieces. Inner sleeve, outer sleeve/holster and belt clip. Thought it was great for a few weeks until it stretched out and the inner sleeve that held the phone kept slipping out of the holster and the belt clip....USELESS. Clipped it on. Walked a few steps. There's my phone laying on the ground !

I don't know about you but my iPhone is a part of me and I treat it like a baby ! Obsessed ? Yea. I am. I don't like anybody even touching it. It's the only thing I use for caching. Haven't used a handheld GPSr since October 2010.

Ok.So, I tossed the piece of **** CaseMate and I wanted the Otterbox.

We went to the AT&T phone store last week to make some adjustments on our service and inquire about cases. The man helping us tells us to forget about the Otterbox, we HAVE TO try the Ballistic HC case. It blows the Otterbox away and the user ratings far exceed the Otterbox user ratings.

It retails for $50 in the store but they had a 1/2 off sale. He shows it to us all packaged up so we really can't see it. It's black and white. Ew. I wanted RED. He's sellin' us on it HARD so we buy it. The selling point that sold me was when he told us the Ballistic HC case is a favorite of those guys who plow snow because they're always dropping their phones !

I'll take it ! Let me tell you, this case is KILLER ! You have a 2 piece hard plastic shell with built in screen protector. Then it fits into this unbelievable rubber case that feels INCREDIBLE in your hand. The back of it is like velvet. There are plugs for all the portals and they fit inside them like a glove so everything is PLUGGED UP TIGHT ! You don't wanna put your phone down when it's in this case !

THEN you get a 4th piece. Another SUPER HARD SHELL plastic cover that slides over the face of the phone for when you throw it in your purse, briefcase, suitcase etc.... You can feel the extra weight when you have the 3 pieces on and you can feel the quality. The sides are like treaded tires on a monster truck !

If you love your iPhone like I do, get the BALLISTIC HC ! I'm the pickiest person on the planet. I don't like anything but I LOVE THIS CASE ! You will too !

I hate to have to break it to you but the iPhone is not really a substitute for a handheld gps. Yes, it is great for paperless caching, but the cheapest gps out there like an old Etrex Legend will be much more likely to survive the abuse you give it when you drop it in the snow, and is likely to cost less than what you'll pay for a rugged case for the iPhone.

But here's a review of cases, including "rugged" ones: http://reviews.cnet.com/top-25-tough-iphone-cases and of course there's always Otterbox.

REALLY?????

I can get a GPSr for the same price I paid for my Otterbox Defender!? ($25 by the way)

SIGN ME UP!

(In all seriousness I have the OtterBox Defender for my iPhone 4 and it's great. I also own an eTrex Venture HC, which most definitely DID NOT cost $25)