Problems uploading photos to Earthcaches

We are still having problems uploading photos, this is limited to the geocaching site. The same photos upload fine on the Waymarking site. Anyone else had this problem?

They said they fixed it, but it's not fixed. I have to resize pics down to under 3 MB in order to upload them. I've only done it on a few, like Earthcache logs, because it's such a pain. :(

They said they fixed it, but it's not fixed. I have to resize pics down to under 3 MB in order to upload them. I've only done it on a few, like Earthcache logs, because it's such a pain. :(

Pray do tell why on earth you would want to upload a +3MB photograph!! The gc.com website resizes anyway so the smaller the upload the quicker it will happen as well. You win on time and bandwidth and gc.com wins on less space being utilized.

We are still having problems uploading photos, this is limited to the geocaching site. The same photos upload fine on the Waymarking site. Anyone else had this problem?

I tryed resizing one, but it still failed to upload. I had to ask the reviewer to look at my waymark photo to get a better idea of what my son's EC was like. Yes, I waymark Earthcaches. I can take you to the same place and you learn the same thing, but I call them waymarks and not Earthcaches. I enjoy waterfalls and natural springs, and GSA no longer accepts these as EC's, but Waymarking has categorys for them.

Pray do tell why on earth you would want to upload a +3MB photograph!! The gc.com website resizes anyway so the smaller the upload the quicker it will happen as well. You win on time and bandwidth and gc.com wins on less space being utilized.

It takes me way longer to resize a photo than it does to wait for the site to resize it. Up until the resizing broke, I've never resized photos, and I haven't felt like I've had to wait more than a few seconds for them to upload. I've never heard Groundspeak say that it was hurting for space. I upload a whole lot of photos, and if I have to take the time and aggravation of resizing each one of them, then I'm not uploading pictures anymore.

I just set my camera to a lower resolution and I've never had trouble uploading to the site. I don't usually need a 3MB+ sized image for geocaching pics. If I go away on vacation, then I'll bump up the resolution, but for things like the now optional pictures at EarthCaches, lo-res is the way to go. Takes up less room on my computer too.

In this day-n-age of mega pixel cameras we shouldn't have to 'pull up' a program such as Photo Shop and go through the trouble of resizing. I am like Ambrosia, we didn't have to do this before, so why now? I usually take only 3 to 4MB photos.

Maybe we will have to adapt, but it seems like a step backwards.

Thanks.

P.S. If all I took were just pics to post for geocaching then I too would choose a much lesser resolution, but for earthcaches, usually we want the best we can do for our albums. Computer room isn't an issue with several gigs of space. I back everything up with a 1000 gig external drive.

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

In this day-n-age of mega pixel cameras we shouldn't have to 'pull up' a program such as Photo Shop and go through the trouble of resizing. I am like Ambrosia, we didn't have to do this before, so why now? I usually take only 3 to 4MB photos.

Maybe we will have to adapt, but it seems like a step backwards.

Thanks.

P.S. If all I took were just pics to post for geocaching then I too would choose a much lesser resolution, but for earthcaches, usually we want the best we can do for our albums. Computer room isn't an issue with several gigs of space. I back everything up with a 1000 gig external drive.

How about a free program that will resize a folder full of pictures. You just "copy" the pictures that you wish to upload into a folder and the open this program, tell it what size you would like the picture ( i normally use 800X600) and it will resize all the pictures in that folder. It is called Easy Thumbnails and is easy to use.

John

I just don't get it why the same photos upload perfect on the Waymarking site?

The Waymarking site only accepts pictures under 4 MB, it seems. I bump up against that one, as well. But I've given up on that fight, since Waymarking has always had a limit. Geocaching didn't used to, however, and I'd like it back to the way it was. I'd like the Waymarking site to be better, as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Waymarking site only accepts pictures under 4 MB, it seems. I bump up against that one, as well. But I've given up on that fight, since Waymarking has always had a limit. Geocaching didn't used to, however, and I'd like it back to the way it was. I'd like the Waymarking site to be better, as well, but I'm not holding my breath.

I love the Waymarking site, I have been Waymarking in a historic district today. I found a few and listed a few. Normally my waymarks are approved within 24 hours or less. I do have 2 old abandoned cemeterys waiting to be reviewed, it is managed by Grave Diggers. It has been 2 weeks now, and I sent the leader a email last week. Maybe it is time to contact another member of the group? Maybe the leader just don't like me? I did alot of research on these waymarks, one cemetery is where the founder of our hometown is buryed. My son listed a EC nearby the same day, I waymarked the site. My photo uploaded, the same one would not on the EC. I even resized it?

I love the Waymarking site, I have been Waymarking in a historic district today. I found a few and listed a few. Normally my waymarks are approved within 24 hours or less. I do have 2 old abandoned cemeterys waiting to be reviewed, it is managed by Grave Diggers. It has been 2 weeks now, and I sent the leader a email last week. Maybe it is time to contact another member of the group? Maybe the leader just don't like me? I did alot of research on these waymarks, one cemetery is where the founder of our hometown is buryed. My son listed a EC nearby the same day, I waymarked the site. My photo uploaded, the same one would not on the EC. I even resized it?

Holy Minestrone! Waymarks are cool! I've been looking for things like this, but didn't know realized they were on their own site. My friend and I found the neatest cemetery in Williams , AZ a few years back and I always wanted to share it with others, now I know how. Although I did discover if I search on cemetery and misspell it cemetary, I cause a 504 error. Oops.

Holy Minestrone! Waymarks are cool! I've been looking for things like this, but didn't know realized they were on their own site. My friend and I found the neatest cemetery in Williams , AZ a few years back and I always wanted to share it with others, now I know how. Although I did discover if I search on cemetery and misspell it cemetary, I cause a 504 error. Oops.

Oh, yes. I research geneology, and we have some old cemeterys here in our area. Most of them are just old field stones marking the graves. There are two old cemeterys that have some real nice old hand made stones, but cows have knocked them over. I have the coordinates, but have misplaced my photos. Maybe I can go back this spring when the ground is dry again. Waymarking also has a category for old hand made tombstones, we have many of them locally. Some have the letters backwards, the stone masons were not very literate. I hope to list some of them on the Waymarking site soon. My son and I listed some on another site in a Grave Stone project. It is not a competive geocaching site, so I hope it is ok to list the name. It is called EarthTrek, and ran by Gary Lewis of GSA. We helped gather data from old white marble stones in relation to acid rain.

I hope that the bugs are worked out soon, my son logged a few EC's last week and we want to upload the photos.