Garmin Etrex Venture and Palm Vx software

GoWazzu

My wife and I are brand new to Geocaching. We're kickin' it old school with a Garmin Etrex Venture GPSr and a Palm Vx. I'm wondering, what software we will need for our Palm to download cache details? Also, is there any map software for the GPSr that we will need? Like I said, we are brand new, but everything I've read says a Palm is nice to have and that it's better to download waypoints directly to your GPSr from your computer.

Thanks for your help!

My wife and I are brand new to Geocaching. We're kickin' it old school with a Garmin Etrex Venture GPSr and a Palm Vx. I'm wondering, what software we will need for our Palm to download cache details? Also, is there any map software for the GPSr that we will need? Like I said, we are brand new, but everything I've read says a Palm is nice to have and that it's better to download waypoints directly to your GPSr from your computer.

Thanks for your help!

Cachemate is also very useful, for the cache details. And don't forget to become a Premium Member so you can create Pocket Queries. With being a PM, there's no point in using Cachemate or GSAK. Just noticed, you are a PM. Good start!

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

Thanks for your help!

Cachemate is also very useful, for the cache details. And don't forget to become a Premium Member so you can create Pocket Queries. With being a PM, there's no point in using Cachemate or GSAK. Just noticed, you are a PM. Good start!

OK, that's where I'm confused. How do I get stuff from the computer onto my Palm? I must have to use some sort of software for that.

Download GSAK for free and load on your computer. Once you do that you can make a Pocket Query and load it into GSAK. From there you can export the cache information anyplace you would like. First send it to your gps. I used to cache this way so I had cachemate it is only $8 and you can download all the cache info right into your palm. GSAK will file it for you and you can sort through it and only send and use the caches you want. If you live near Pullman we have a few nerds around town that could help. George@Wazzu is one of the last guys I know who was caching this way. Email him through geocaching.com and he could give you a few pointers on his style of using a palm.

cougsbackground.jpg

Thanks for your help!

I used Cachemate on my Palm. GSAK on my computer. And I used City Navigator and topo maps on my Venture. That worked well for me.

Download GSAK for free and load on your computer. Once you do that you can make a Pocket Query and load it into GSAK. From there you can export the cache information anyplace you would like. First send it to your gps. I used to cache this way so I had cachemate it is only $8 and you can download all the cache info right into your palm. GSAK will file it for you and you can sort through it and only send and use the caches you want. If you live near Pullman we have a few nerds around town that could help. George@Wazzu is one of the last guys I know who was caching this way. Email him through geocaching.com and he could give you a few pointers on his style of using a palm.

cougsbackground.jpg

Perfect. That's what I needed. Unfortunately, we are in Boise. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!

I used Cachemate on my Palm. GSAK on my computer. And I used City Navigator and topo maps on my Venture. That worked well for me.

Excellent! Thanks, everyone, for your help on this.

cougsbackground.jpg

Perfect. That's what I needed. Unfortunately, we are in Boise. Thanks for your help!

Thank you for not jumping on the band wagon down there. It is true WSU has the most loyal fans ever!

cougsbackground.jpg

Thank you for not jumping on the band wagon down there. It is true WSU has the most loyal fans ever!

I am an avowed Boise State hater. Go Cougs!