I don't want to play the travel bug this way.

Guest bradrobb

Guest bradrobb

Last weekend my son and I placed a travel bug in a cache and I am posting what has happen since. We did not place our bug to be caught up in someone's personel game like this.

This is log entry from the bug page.

This travel bug is about to be released to a geocache called Infestation in Orangeville, Ontario. Cedardoggy and I are putting the final touches on the description and the clues are being smoothed out. The cache will be placed in approximately 7 days. Once set the cache will be operational all year round. Infestation will be a multi cache with four stages. Stage 1: Virtual Cache: Information provided here will reveal stage 2 Stage 2: Micro Cache: Information gained at this site will lead to stage 3 Stage 3: Regular Cache: A description inside will guide geocachers to stage 4 Stage 4: Offset Cache: The final set of co-ordinates will lead geocachers to the site where a final riddle will locate the cache. This travel bug will be one of six bugs placed in the infestation cache. They include: Action Canyon Jeep

I sent email to the person holding the bug and here is his answer and my email is below.

On that note I will do me best to plant the travel bug sooner rather then later but it will be placed in the infestation cache. We have sent many hours preparing infestation for this release. It will work best with the maximum number of travel bugs available. That is why I have placed 3 of my own bugs in this cache.

Perhaps you and your son could venture out to Orangeville and visit your bug, collect another and have a bit of fun in the process. Good things come to those who wait. Westwinds.

P.S GTRACER is having a great time visiting with the other five travel bugs. They have shared stories and agree to visit again if their path crosses again.

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Geocaching.com User Email BOT [mailto:emailer@geocaching.com]

> Sent: January 27, 2002 8:11 PM

> Subject: androbb contacting you from Geocaching.com

>

>

> Greetings from Geocaching.com.

>

> User androbb has contacted you with the following message:

>

> Hi,

>

> I am writing this for my son who is 10 yrs old and I like what

> you are doing. But he needs fast results maybe you could just

> but his bug into another cache and get it on its way.

>

> androbb's Dad.

this is the mail I sent and the reply I received.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1149

This is the bug page.

What do you think I should do?

Guest whidbeywalk

I do understand your position and how you want the bug to keep on the move; however, a lot worse could have happened. It could have sat in a cache for several months. It could have been picked up and held by someone for a very long time, or they could have picked it up and never logged it at all. Everything considered I don't think the bug's current holder is being unreasonable or unfair. After all this is a game, and we all play it a little bit differently.

Guest blscearce

in a hurry, he should have a note on the Bug explaining his urgency. Without a note, my assumption when I pick up a bug is that I can hang onto it for a week without anybody getting anxious. Of course, a note that says something like, "Don't take this Bug unless you can move it more than 100km towards its goal within the next week" mean that it'll move in big hops, but it also means that it'll be left behind by a lot of finders.

I think that the Bug taker should make a genuine effort to place the Bug the next time he's out -- ideally, not more than a week after he picks it up. And the Bug creator shouldn't expect Bugs to be placed any sooner than two weeks after they're picked up.

quote:
Originally posted by bradrobb:

Last weekend my son and I placed a travel bug in a cache and I am posting what has happen since. We did not place our bug to be caught up in someone's personel game like this.

This is log entry from the bug page.

This travel bug is about to be released to a geocache called Infestation in Orangeville, Ontario. Cedardoggy and I are putting the final touches on the description and the clues are being smoothed out. The cache will be placed in approximately 7 days. Once set the cache will be operational all year round. Infestation will be a multi cache with four stages. Stage 1: Virtual Cache: Information provided here will reveal stage 2 Stage 2: Micro Cache: Information gained at this site will lead to stage 3 Stage 3: Regular Cache: A description inside will guide geocachers to stage 4 Stage 4: Offset Cache: The final set of co-ordinates will lead geocachers to the site where a final riddle will locate the cache. This travel bug will be one of six bugs placed in the infestation cache. They include: Action Canyon Jeep

I sent email to the person holding the bug and here is his answer and my email is below.

On that note I will do me best to plant the travel bug sooner rather then later but it will be placed in the infestation cache. We have sent many hours preparing infestation for this release. It will work best with the maximum number of travel bugs available. That is why I have placed 3 of my own bugs in this cache.

Perhaps you and your son could venture out to Orangeville and visit your bug, collect another and have a bit of fun in the process. Good things come to those who wait. Westwinds.

P.S GTRACER is having a great time visiting with the other five travel bugs. They have shared stories and agree to visit again if their path crosses again.

> -----Original Message-----

> From: Geocaching.com User Email BOT [mailto:emailer@geocaching.com]

> Sent: January 27, 2002 8:11 PM

> Subject: androbb contacting you from Geocaching.com

>

>

> Greetings from Geocaching.com.

>

> User androbb has contacted you with the following message:

>

> Hi,

>

> I am writing this for my son who is 10 yrs old and I like what

> you are doing. But he needs fast results maybe you could just

> but his bug into another cache and get it on its way.

>

> androbb's Dad.

this is the mail I sent and the reply I received.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=1149

This is the bug page.

What do you think I should do?

im confused by all this....

who's saying what?

and whats your point for making this post?

Guest AlienPuppy

I'm not confused by the party speaking. You seem to be the bug owner, and are unhappy that it is being placed at the end of a multicache.

While, the person who picked up the bug should be a bit more sensitive to your feelings, I think that there is nothing wrong here...

As others mentioned, a travel bug is lucky if it travels every week. Collecting stats on this would be cool, but I think we would find the average is much less option.

Your bug was picked up almost immediatedly, will be re-placed in a week (the retriever plans to place their new cache is a few days) and I feel will have a good chance of being picked up soon... the reason being, people (at least I do) seek out travel bugs, and cache with many travel bugs is a sure thing.

It is understandable to be excited about seeing the bug move, but you do have to be patient. I think if you explain to your son that the bug is participating in a "bug party", which is something unique, things will be OK.

Its all a game, and once we put stuff out there, we don't have too much control over it. But, for me, that is half the fun.

Hope this helps.

/Alienpuppy

I can see how you can get frustrated over something like this but try looking at it from a different point of view. This game is new for a lot of people. It is constantly evolving and this is what is fun and exciting about it. You have a huge amount of creative minds out there that are trying to come up with everything from mini-games to themed geocaches. I personally wouldn't have a problem with someone doing this to my bug but then again I'm not ten years old and then again my excitement from geocaching doesn't come from sitting behind a computer watching a travel bug bounce across North America. I enjoy the new ideas and concepts that evolve as more people play. In this game their is no room for closed minds. You must keep an open mind when you play. If it were me however I would have immediatly respected the bug owners wishes and tried to get it on its way as quickly as possible. I may then be less apt to never want to even mess with the thing again. I am getting the impression that a lot of people are disappointed with the bug. My suggestion is to not even bother with it. I liked the bug idea at first, but if you live where it snows than it could become a hassle to deal with the owner hounding you to freeze your butt off out in the snow and creates for an unenjoyable geocaching experience. Let's not make this game labor intensive before it even has a chance to evolve

Maybe this is a good lesson in deferred gratification. In the microwave minute world we all live in now, maybe it's a good lesson for a young boy to see that sometimes you have to wait for what you want and even then it may not be what you expect. I think the folks that have taken your bug to place it seem to communicate very well with you and are doing this for the fun and game of it just like they are supposed to do.

I think it's wonderful to hear the stories of families doing this together and espically father and sons. I wouldn't sweat it too much just explain that this is a game and we may have to wait a bit for the bug to move, and then you will get to see all of the cool places that it travels.

46113_400.jpg

The KGB

guy.gif