What am I doing wrong?

HeyRita

Hi! I'm new to this and have tried two seperate caches and couldn't find either. One of them I went to on two seperate occassions and still couldn't find. I'm positive I was in the exact location but still nothing. Should I be digging in the dirt to find them? I thought they would be fairly easy to spot/find but now i'm wondering if I needed a shovel! :-D

Digging is a no-no. Not very eco-friendly when we leave behind 1,000's of divots, now are we?

Would love to help you and tell you what you are doing wrong, but you haven't told us what you are doing! Makes it somewhat difficult to guess.

As a beginner, look for small or larger caches -- avoid trying the micros (for now), also work on the ones that show a lower difficulty rating. Once practiced, then start after the others. Sort of like banging on the ivories, as opposed to playing the piano! Practice improves your ability.

Remember too, if you keep going after the same ones, it IS possible that they aren't there anymore :) , try some others.

It is generally advised to look for regular sized caches when you are first starting out, particularly those with a low Difficulty rating. If that is what you are doing already, and you're still not having any success, then I think I'd suggest you check to make sure your GPS is configured to be using WGS84 datum (my very first GPS was not set up for that when I bought it). That term just refers to the format that the coordinates are stored and interpreted by the GPS.

As MrsB suggested, if you can provide us with the GC#'s for some of these caches that you have tried to find, we may be able to provide some clues, too.

I'm positive I was in the exact location but still nothing. Should I be digging in the dirt to find them?

In addition to the other advice (start with containers larger than Micros, pick easy star-rated caches, be sure your GPS is set up right) you can look at the “terrain” view on the map, to see where the cache icon is in relation to walls, fences, and other landmarks. Read a couple of recent logs, so you know others are currently finding it. And look for cache descriptions that specify it's easy to find.

If you Did Not Find it, leave a DNF log on the cache page. The entire container may have gone missing since the last time it was found (it helps the next cacher to know it's at least not super easy to find). But if it's still there, your DNF may cause the Cache Owner to offer a hint.

Don't dig in the dirt. You do that with "Benchmarking", which is a different game. :)

Edited by kunarion

Hi! I'm new to this and have tried two seperate caches and couldn't find either. One of them I went to on two seperate occassions and still couldn't find. I'm positive I was in the exact location but still nothing. Should I be digging in the dirt to find them? I thought they would be fairly easy to spot/find but now i'm wondering if I needed a shovel! :-D

I have only been geocaching a few months and I am totally hooked. But like you, at the very beginning it was frustrating not being able to find the caches even though my GPS was leading me to the correct locaction, I was advised to look for small/large caches to start with, but as all that seems to be in Ayr is nano or micro that is what I found for the first few weeks. But it has been a learning curve as i now know what to look for and there have been PLENTY of micro's here. Don't give up,read the logs from other geocaches for the caches you are looking for as there are clues in the write ups I have found that this has help me a lot. I am only at 49 but I am so pleased to have found that many and honestly the majority have been tiny ones. Good luck you will get there and you will be woop de wooping like I did when I found my first. :-)

Edited by ayrbrain

2 points:

The general accuracy of most handheld GPS devices is around 15 to 25 feet. Remember though you have might have to add your potential error to any error the cache owner had when placing the cache. That means you could easily find yourself looking for a cache up to 50 feet from where your unit says ground zero is. Most of the time you will find them within 20 feet or less but do be prepared to widen your search. Put the GPS away when you are within 20 feet or so and start looking for likely hiding spots.

Back off and re-approach the area if necessary to verify you are looking in the right spot.

and....

Here are some general hints:

Look for caches with a difficulty of 2 or less for your fist few caches. Stick with regular sized caches for your first few. Micros can be quite hard to find sometimes. Stick to areas you are familiar with. Look for anything out of place or unusual. Look for unusual piles of sticks, grass, leaves, rocks, sand, etc. Feel where you cannot look. Think vertical, not all caches are on the ground. Look up or at eye level. Look for traces of previous searches to zero in on the spot. Think like the hider - where would you put a container in this location? Look for things too new, too old, too perfect, not like the others, too many, too few. Change your perspective - a shift in lighting can sometimes reveal a cache. Keep in mind that many micros are magnetic or attached to something (via string, wire etc). Slowly expand your search area to about 40 feet from where your GPS says ground zero is. Bring garden gloves and a flashlight - they help! Be prepared to not find the cache more often then you think.

Most of all - have fun

Just to echo what others have said, no, you shouldn't dig to find a cache. Digging (whether to find or to hide a cache) is prohibited by the guidelines.

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.)

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your GPSr, and to the GPSr of the cache owner, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate.

It might help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

What jon.hemlock.chantal said about reading the logs of others who have found the cache is correct.

The other day I had a DNF. My Geomate jr led me to a downed tree, about 20 feet long and devoid of branches. Aha! Under, in, or behind it! I know it! There is a foot of snow on the ground, so I got on my hands and knees and started searching. Nothing. I walked away, used my Geomate again only to be led to the same spot.I looked in the trees behind me and once again under and around the fallen tree. Again nothing.

Just today I logged in to the cache and marked it DNF. Hoping for some clues, I read the found logs. Sure enough, another member commented "coords off a bit." I went back, following my Geomate to the same fallen tree. I looked around, and close by was a lone pine tree. Well, might as well check it before I start crawling around again.

Yeah, that's where it was!

I'm not saying the owners coords were off. It was just that being a newbie, I immediately "knew" that fallen tree was the cache. I couldn't see the forest through the trees, if ya know what I mean.

I'm not saying the owners coords were off. It was just that being a newbie, I immediately "knew" that fallen tree was the cache. I couldn't see the forest through the trees, if ya know what I mean.

Yep, I know what you mean. Tunnel vision blinds you to other possible spots. I had one that I just knew it had to be right there somewhere. I just happened to look up and there it was, dangling from a limb.

It isn't just a newbie thing. I've seen caches hidden in plain sight, very near typical hiding places. A lot of experienced cachers spend a lot of time searching the typical hiding places (where they KNOW the cache must be hidden) before they stop to consider other possibilities.
It isn't just a newbie thing. I've seen caches hidden in plain sight, very near typical hiding places. A lot of experienced cachers spend a lot of time searching the typical hiding places (where they KNOW the cache must be hidden) before they stop to consider other possibilities.

Yep, been there. Before I found out about lamp post skirts I DNF'd a cache twice at the local Wally World. Then I heard about LPC's and said, "AHA! Now I know where it is!". Next time I was in the area I went back for it and guess what? It wasn't there! It was under a fencepost cap about 10 feet behind the light pole! :rolleyes:

Welcome to the addiction! I'm a newby too. I drove out to a cache location 7 times before I finally found the cache this fall. It was an open field with only 1 sign post and the owner checked after my dnf, so I knew it was there. When I finally found it, I was able to go and get three more that were similar. Always read the previous logs - it can save you a lot of time and frustration!

Yep, been there. Before I found out about lamp post skirts I DNF'd a cache twice at the local Wally World. Then I heard about LPC's and said, "AHA! Now I know where it is!". Next time I was in the area I went back for it and guess what? It wasn't there! It was under a fencepost cap about 10 feet behind the light pole! :rolleyes:

My kids usually find most of them, since I'm busy looking in all the odd, obscure places and totally missing the blatantly obvious. :blink::P

Don't just look down, look up too. Caches can be hidden anywhere but underground.

Do a Google image search for "Geocaching container" so you can get an idea of what you're up against. The cache could be an actual log with a secret compartment chiseled in it. It could be a rock with a hole drilled in the bottom. It could be a little round magnetic container smaller than your thumbnail. If you still can't find it, wait until you get 10 or even 20 finds under your belt and then go back to it and try again. You get better at finding them - we call it "geosense". :)

There was a two-week lag between the time I got my GPS for Christmas and when I could actually use it (New Year's Day) because of work/family obligations. During that time, I read thru this website voraciously, and also watched just about every "how to" video posted on www.GeoSnippets.com. These short, tutorial videos hold a wealth of info and have really helped me out a lot. :) There are all kinds of topics posted there - including videos on geocaching containers and the like. Some of them are very sneaky and evil, hehe.

Edited by MamaKatO

Oh my gosh! You are the most helpful bunch of people ever! I didn't realize you'd reply so fast or I would have been on here much sooner to check. Ok so here's the two I tried

http://coord.info/GC2KQKJ (this is the one I went to twice now and feel most certain I should have seen it... and someone has since found it so it's still there somewhere)

http://coord.info/GC2B49T this one a few people commented on it being tricky, there is a public ice machine and on the back is a sticker of a penguin but it's up very high on the machine so i'm not sure if i should try and reach up there or if it's definitely on the ground.

Also someone asked what I'm using to find these. I am using my phone which as GPS and then I downloaded a geocache app that I use. I tried google maps but I thought the Geocaching app I downloaded was more user friendly and more detailed.

Edited by HeyRita

I would check the penguin "sticker" on Mini Penguin. The size is listed as "unknown" which may not be a typical container. It could be a magnet with a log on the back. Now, don't be peeling actual stickers off of machines or anything.......

Emergency Dogwalk has a pretty good hint, and a non-micro container. I'd look the area over after reading the hint to see if that helps.

Don't just look down, look up too. Caches can be hidden anywhere but underground.

Do a Google image search for "Geocaching container" so you can get an idea of what you're up against. The cache could be an actual log with a secret compartment chiseled in it. It could be a rock with a hole drilled in the bottom. It could be a little round magnetic container smaller than your thumbnail. If you still can't find it, wait until you get 10 or even 20 finds under your belt and then go back to it and try again. You get better at finding them - we call it "geosense". :)

OMG! Do people really use the ones that look like random object? Like I just saw one that was fake poop and one that looked like chewed up gum. I'm so thankful you told me to do that search because I had no idea!

What I've found is not to rely 100% on the GPS. GPS units aren't accurate to the inch, I usually don't get more than 15 feet of accuracy with mine. I can remember one cache I went after 3 times that I thought I was right on top of, yet couldn't find it. Finally, I just put down the GPS and started looking for good hiding places and found it nearly 20 feet away from where the GPS was taking me. Some of it takes technology, some of it just takes experience at determining hiding places, and some of it is just making a good guess.

I do think sometimes it's best to start with regular size caches, the hiding places are a little easier to determine, then move on to micros. My first few times out, I only found one of the several caches I went after. As I cached more, my rate of finds increased. Keep plugging away at it, and the same will happen to you. Good luck.

RedStickHam

Some of the more interesting caches I found:

- 3 inch high black plastic container hung against trunk of bushy pine tree. It was very hard to see in there even in bright daylight.

- Flat cut stump standing on end. I picked up stump, nothing was on the ground. The container was stuffed into the end of the hollow stump so it wouldn't fall out!

- Real electrical box (silver) stuck to a black light pole with magnets.

- Cache hidden 6 inches underground in a wood box. Top of box was covered with dirt, but handle was a wild looking branch. So only the handle showed. After 45 minutes circling around this one, I kicked the branch and it didn't move. Bingo.

- I hid a cache near a lampost in my yard. Most people take the top off my lamp and look inside (lamp does not work) but it's not there. Muhahahahahah.

- My GPS led me to an old CB radio lying on the ground but I couldn't remove any knobs or take it apart to see if a cache was inside. I think the coords were off on that one.

- I have heard that people hollow out a large acorn and put it on a pine tree. :)

- I found a tiny 1/2 inch circular magnet with just the geocache number inside. Stuck to the back of a metal stop sign.

- I learned that some turkey decoys have a hollow back. And the cache was in there! I kept telling my son: "That's not the cache, it's just a decoy." lol

Edited by chuckr30

I'm late to the party on this one, just read the thread...

Emergency Dogwalk

The satellite shot shows that this is in a group of trees to the side of building. This means it's going to be harder to get a good GPS lock so you'll need to consider more than one tree in your search. It's a 1.5 difficulty with a 1.0 terrain so it won't be super sneaky and it should be easily reachable.

The CO is new, his hides were all placed last month and he has only been caching since December himself. There are no favorite votes for any of his caches so I would not expect a very creative hide. The thing is...tree hides can be hard to find for a new cacher (even an old one).

I use a small flashlight when looking in trees as some caches will really stick out under a direct light. I also peer through the branch to the far side and look for unnatural silhouettes. In our area, these kind of tree hides are usually a camoed pill bottle attached to branch, usually hidden in cluster or on the underside of a branch. Be sure to bend down and look up. Nine times out of ten the container is 3 feet to 5.5 feet off the ground in these circumstances.

To save time, start with a spot on the tree that is less viewable to bystanders. Hiders tend to hide caches on the 'backside' of a tree. (Though not always and they do migrate.)

The logs indicate that experienced cachers are finding it easily, so it's just a matter of your eyes getting used to spotting camo in a tree. It does get easier with time!

A mini penguin has been spotted in irmo!

The satellite view shows this in an 'island' next to a parking lot. The hider is VERY experienced and has placed a lot of caches. I would consider the title a hint about the cache container. It wouldn't surprise me to see a penguin container or a penguin sticker on the container, if there isn't a penguin symbol nearby.

Because the CO is experienced I expect the ratings to be pretty accurate. In this case they are a 1.5/1.5. Which means the cache is easy and probably on the grass or tree, and not on/next to the pavement (that would be a 1.0 terrain).

Reading the logs I see that this cache is part of a penguin series and would expect to see a penguin container or sticker (not a nearby penguin symbol). Even though this is a 1.5 difficulty, I see that some people are commenting they found it on their second trip. This is probably a more difficult 1.5 and probably not a 'typical' hide such as a pill bottle on branch.

Two co-cachers mention that "the bubble" got the cache. I interpret that as a young kid found it so the cache is probably low to the ground (0 to 3.5 feet up). A couple of mentions of 'ice' so that ties into the location somehow. One person says this is "Truly a mini" so you're looking for something VERY small that blends in well.

Comments also mention that it is in 'Plain sight', but they had a hard time seeing it. It blends in WELL, but is not covered up. No need to look under rocks. Overall it looks like a cool hide and worthy of a search and, if necessary, a revisit to find. This would be the kind of cache I'd go out of my way to pick up.

You mention seeing a sticker of a penguin, I would consider that significant when searching for the cache.

Hope that helps explain the thought process of a 'finder'. :)