I found a cache, but my pen isn't working ... :)

FFunny this topic should come up. I found a cache just the other day that was frozen shut. I didn't want to break the lock-n-lock container (it was about -25C), so didn't sign the log. But I did manage to slip a signature wooden nickle into the container. Good enough.

Edit to add: That was my first find on a buisness trip. The rest of the finds had pens that were frozen solid. Good thing I had a pencil in my pack.

How did you manage to slip the sig item into the container if you didn't open it? Inquiring minds need to know? :)

FFunny this topic should come up. I found a cache just the other day that was frozen shut. I didn't want to break the lock-n-lock container (it was about -25C), so didn't sign the log. But I did manage to slip a signature wooden nickle into the container. Good enough.

Edit to add: That was my first find on a buisness trip. The rest of the finds had pens that were frozen solid. Good thing I had a pencil in my pack.

How did you manage to slip the sig item into the container if you didn't open it? Inquiring minds need to know? :)

If one side is frozen and the other is not, you can lift up one side just barely to fit in a wooden nickel. He didn't want to open it any more for fear of breaking it. Makes sense to me.

If one side is frozen and the other is not, you can lift up one side just barely to fit in a wooden nickel. He didn't want to open it any more for fear of breaking it. Makes sense to me.

I could be wrong but I am guessing when the temp is -25C all sides will be frozen. :laughing:

Geocaching is an incredibly fun game and I love it! But the last time I checked, it's not a competition. To me, the reward is in the thrill of the hunt and the joy in the find. I can't believe that some cachers are so serious about signing logs. I have nearly 570 cache finds and though I try to have a pen on me for all caching trips, there have been a couple of occasions where I have forgotten it and I was unable to sign. But I've never lost a smiley because of it. It wouldn't be very much fun to me to just log a find without ACTUALLY finding the cache! And if there are people out there who have logged my caches without actually finding the cache, that's their loss, not mine. And do you honestly check your cache logs against the online logs? I have 10 hides in four different cities and just don't have time to verify signatures nor do I care. I like to read the stories people share when they find my caches and what they think about my cache. I just don't think it's a big deal.

BINGO. One lock was already broken off, and I could open it just a little.

I found one yesterday, but couldn't get the bugger open. It wasn't a monkey puzzle or anything like that... I spent fifteen minutes trying to unscrew the PVC fittings from one another. I wrote a log, saying as much, and offered to send the CO a picture of me with the cache if he needed further proof. In my log, I wrote "I fully realize that the next finder is going to be a seven-year-old who has no trouble at all getting it open." Sure enough, this morning a log was posted by a grandmother and her two grandchildren who went out the same day, and they didn't say anything about having trouble getting into it.

I sign all of my finds except for those tiny microcaches. I used to spend more time trying to stuff a little paper back into it that thing than anything else. When I find those I dont bother opening them up. That is the only exception for me. If I see it then I move on. Everything else gets signed.

Geocaching is an incredibly fun game and I love it! But the last time I checked, it's not a competition. To me, the reward is in the thrill of the hunt and the joy in the find. I can't believe that some cachers are so serious about signing logs. I have nearly 570 cache finds and though I try to have a pen on me for all caching trips, there have been a couple of occasions where I have forgotten it and I was unable to sign. But I've never lost a smiley because of it. It wouldn't be very much fun to me to just log a find without ACTUALLY finding the cache! And if there are people out there who have logged my caches without actually finding the cache, that's their loss, not mine. And do you honestly check your cache logs against the online logs? I have 10 hides in four different cities and just don't have time to verify signatures nor do I care. I like to read the stories people share when they find my caches and what they think about my cache. I just don't think it's a big deal.

I wish more people were like this! I'm one of those people who everyone is talking about. I only get maybe 10 to 12 finds each caching trip, hence the low find numbers, so there are some caches that (Oh dear I say) I don't sign the logs. For this I will take full criticism, but if you ever READ my on-line logs you will know for sure and without a doubt that I was at your cache. I never give a spoiler, but I make sure the owner has a smile and knows I was there. I'm not one for being FTF, I have a few, but not on purpose.

So to make a long reply longer, the way I feel, if you find the cache, and have fun with it, fill out the on line log and have fun.

Fun is the KEY word in Geocaching, not NUMBERS.

OK, I'm off my soap box.

I recall one cacher who said he used his blood. I wouldn't recommend that because of the yuk factor, but the point is there is nearly always something you can use to sign.

The time I signed one in blood was for FTF. The cache was hidden deep in a thorny bush and I was already bleeding pretty good from just grabbing the cache. I used a thorn as a quill to write with. I could have gone and gotten a pencil from a cache of my own nearby, but at the time, FTF competition was pretty hot and I don't get to sample that high very often, so I didn't risk it.

Yep, blood, dirt, grass, sticks .... lots of things can be used to sign the log. :)
Yep. I've always signed with a pen or pencil (usually one of my own, but occasionally one found in the cache), but I've seen several logs with "creative" signatures using improvised materials.

Ever see this?

Lipstick+Kiss+T+Shirt_Large.jpg

Dude, have you seen some of those cache logs? No way I'm going to kiss those. :o