FTF's?

jmilla210
Followers 3

About 7. My best was when the cache owner had posted the wrong coords but after seeing the parking lot Additional Waypoint I figured out the mistake. Hours, minutes, seconds, eh?

Worrying about not being first kind of took the fun out of caching, so I don't pursue FTF anymore. If it happens, it happens.

FTF for me total 23 plus one on a Gnome in the Moving Cache Race in Geocaching Australia.

My last one happened purely by chance. I was sitting at the computer doing school planning (*I'm a teacher) and a notification of a new cache came up. It was 1.5km from my home and by the description I knew exactly where it was. Keys in hand and walking to the car and a text pops up on the phone. "Run" another cacher who lives even closer to the cache than me had sent it. I laughed all the way to the cache expecting to be beaten.... However I discovered a clean logbook and signed the log. Found out later that said cacher was stuck in a meeting and couldn't leave. :-)

But I am not a fanatic about collecting them.

FTF's are highly overrated.

For those that don't care about them, you are right. For those that enjoy the challenge and the rush you couldn't be more wrong.

Scubasonic

You are right about there being a kind of rush being FTF, but the challenge is all a matter of "time" (time you get the notice, time in your schedule to go for it, and time it takes to travel X amount of distance to get there). You are also right that I don't care about them. I have more than 1 FTF but less than your amount. It doesn't mean that one person is a better "finder" than another person. It only means they could meet more of the "time" requirements than the next person. My whole point was that people should get the rush from just finding them, and being first or 50th shouldn't diminish the accomplishment of that.

My whole point was that people should get the rush from just finding them

My point is WHO ARE YOU to tell anyone what THEY should, or should not get a rush out of. You have already said what YOU feel about the FTFs and that's cool everyone has an opinion. What I take issue with is the fact your telling someone else how they should enjoy the game based on how you enjoy it.

Scubasonic

Edited by Scubasonic

FTF's are highly overrated.

For those that don't care about them, you are right. For those that enjoy the challenge and the rush you couldn't be more wrong.

Scubasonic

Couldn't have said it any better, Scubasonic.

234 solo/with my wife 808ladybug and 48 teamed with others :rolleyes:

My whole point was that people should get the rush from just finding them

My point is WHO ARE YOU to tell anyone what THEY should, or should not get a rush out of. You have already said what YOU feel about the FTFs and that's cool everyone has an opinion. What I take issue with is the fact your telling someone else how they should enjoy the game based on how you enjoy it.

Scubasonic

If you look back at that same post of mine you were refering to you will see I agreed that it was a rush being FTF. Where am I telling them how to enjoy the game? If you look back at all the posts there were more people than me that said FTF weren't that important to them.

Edited by g_o_caching

I'd rather be 500th on a great cache than first on just another pointless trad.

Now there's a good point. I won't go off topic, and tick off Scubasonic or anything. :shocked: I do not keep track, but I would estimate my number to be approximately 20 since joining in 2003. With probably the 2nd half of them right time, right place, without even trying to be FTF.

It's always fun to find the cache the way the owner had intended the placement to be before it migrates.

This is the main reason I chase FTFs, I've seen some great caches ruined by lazy cachers just trowing it back together quickly.

How many do I have? I'd guess 2 or 3 dozen, I don't keep track.

We've got 11 FTF's. At first we made an effort to try to get them as it was a 'rush' to get the FTF and we enjoyed meeting other cachers. However, the competition in our area got so fierce that it took the enjoyment away. We'll still try for one if we're out & about or is very close, but otherwise wait for another day.

I don't know but my best guess is less than 5. Some of them were at events where new caches were published specifically for the event some of them we found with a group and others we found on our own. I think we've only had 1 FTF where we were out for a day of caching and actually beat everyone else to the cache.

FTF is not important to us but they are satisfying in their own way.

I was determined to get a FTF and it came true last fall twice. Around here there are a bunch of people that race to claim FTF - after my 3rd or 4th try, the thrill disappeared, because I end up with 2 or 3 families on the hunt. I found that the thrill for me comes from actually finding it, like others have mentioned. When a gang of people show up, almost always it is someone other than me that finds it. I feel more a spectator and honestly, I do not feel I should claim it as a find. That is just me, and don't judge others for doing it.