Cointest: Spirit of the coiners

yanagi

In some posts I already mentioned that for me this here is the best and nicest forum in the world and that coiners are a very special and nice group of people. There are a lot of stories that you can read here about the generosity, the warmheartedness and unselfishness of this community:

- newbies are welcomed and not forced to use the search feature first

- coins are given as presents to others that they have never met before

- often very limited coins are traded one to one for regular coins

- mystery coiners mint coins and send them into the world without the name of the sender

- in missions often much more things are included into the package than necessary

- and so on and so on

All things are pieces of a puzzle which together form THE SPIRIT OF THE COINERS!

Now I would like to collect these stories and maybe to hear of stories that have not been written yet in the forum. I thought it might be good idea to do this with a cointest (my first one!). So here is the task:

Write your favorite story or stories of where you have experienced this spirit. Let us know for example where you had been overwhelmed by someone´s generosity. Or write a story about the small things which are also a piece of the puzzle. To open the cointest also to those that have not yet experienced the spirit just write about a story that you read in this forum which impressed you.

The cointest will end on February the 28th. I will pick the winner by random so everybody has got the same chance.

The price will be one of my favorite coins: a 1,75'' Tengwar 2-tone shiny Silver on Gold (as far as I know only 50 were made)

5dqof488.jpg

I will be participating in my first mission next month with the Valentine One Card One Coin Mission. I'm still new at this and look forward to that and future missions i can participate in.

I have been reading through the Geocoin section on the forums for a while now. One of my favorite stories is the Mr. Grey Project. One person starts the thread talking about a letter they got asking if they believe in aliens to send $2.50 for shipping and they would receive a unique gift. One by one more and more people start reporting they received the same letter. Some are skeptical while others are quick to jump on the opportunity.

A week or 2 later Mr. Grey chimes in clearing questions here and there. All the while staying very tight lipped about the prize. He informed all that some may not have received a letter but should have gotten one. So emails are exchanged and those selected get there chance to join in.

A few days later Mr. Grey crowd sources the artwork for the unique icon the forth coming Geocoin would have. All the while Numbered letters are sent out. Contents are confidential and all recipients are tight lipped about the contents. This is when i learned about the mailing list so those who want to participate in these special events can. It wasn't till recently that i got the much sought after invite to the list.

A moth after first contact Mr. Grey reviles fragments of the coin in kaleidoscope fashion. Within a couple of days the final design of the icon is selected. Everyone is on the edge of there chair to see what the final product would be.

Finally after nearly 2 months participants start getting there coins in. The final design is reveled. We find that there are 80 individually numbered alien head coins.

The thread is fairly long but its a fun read and really gets you into the spirit of giving and participating in Geocoin missions.

Faith and trust. That's what it's all about. In alot of ways.

We activate our coins and leave them in geocaches, never knowing what will happen to them. Sometimes they move for a long time, sometimes they disappear quickly. "Geocaching is a game of giving stuff away and keeping your fingers crossed."

We buy coins from that e-place online, not knowing the seller, not knowing if we're going to actually get what the seller says. We buy coins from the geocoin vendors, sometimes on pre-sale, and then wait several weeks for them to finally arrive.

I recently spearheaded the movement to get the Lehigh Valley GeoCachers' first geocoin made. I took design suggestions from many of our members and worked with the mint to make a nice coin. Seventeen of our members contributed to making the first order a reality.

Now for the rest of the story...........

I have only met 4 or 5 of these geocachers in person. Nobody knows my real name, my phone number, my home address. Yet I managed to collect a boatload of money in my PayPal account in order to purchase the coins. The coins are done and just about everybody has theirs now.

Faith and trust.

Oh, did I mention I'm presently unemployed? What a racket I could start.

in many ways we are like a large family. there are squabbles, people get pissy or pissed off and sulk for a few days. but in the end, the family remains strong. and folks are not afraid to mention they may be in dire straits. one does not have to be embarrassed about sharing troubles so others may help.

about two years ago my car went belly up. one can't be a journalist/writer and photographer without wheels and i was desperate.

only things i had to sell were my geocoins and pathtags. replacing an engine costs a lot of money, but due to the generosity of spirit in this community i was able to sell what i needed to sell, including my beloved tranquility collection and fix the car. many people sent rare coins for me to sell on ebay in order to raise money.

that's one of those "lifetime" memories.

Just ONE? But...there are so many:D We are like a big online family and while I have met a few coiners 'face to face' there are many more that I count as good friends.

I moved to Australia from Canada over two years ago. I had no family and no friends here in Western Australia, no one to connect to so that I could throw down some new roots.

Tsunrisebey (Stephanie) heard about the big move and suggested that I get into contact with a local coiner and cacher, 3BlindEyes. Separate from that another coiner contacted me to tell me how excited she was that I was moving here and that she was planning a trip to Australia in a few months. I can't tell you how much that meant to me, that someone who I've never met would contact me and offer their help from the other side of the world. 3BE was really helpful in getting me settled and learned in the ways of the Western Australians. And both of those cacher/coiners remain great friends to this day.

After I moved, I had good days and bad days (I had to leave my dogs in Canada) but I also had really great days due to some very kind and generous mystery coiners. The first coin I received as a gift in Australia was a Southern Planisphere sent from my coiner buddy in Canada, just days after we settled into our new house. After that I received the Wishing coin, Geo Bandit, Geosasquatch, NWO, Loon-a-tick, Dutch Mystery, COINTACT, Carpe Diem, Dark Knight, Geocoin angel and Imagine Mystery coins! Those were my extremely happy days!

I was very fortunate to be able to mint my own coin while here in Australia. I have enjoyed giving them away to friends and trading them and most of all the great emails I get when I leave them in caches as a gift for the next finder.

I count myself very lucky to have stumbled onto this hobby and I am very happy to say that we are moving back to Canada in April. I can't wait to attend a geocoinfest in the US and meet so many of those other coiners who have traded with me and who also have become great friends.

I could go on and on....but I'll stop there. You get an idea of what the community of coiners mean to me:P

Edited by gardengorilla

Excellent idea for a cointest.

I am not entering the cointest, But I do want to say...

I agree with RedshoeGirl, Here is the place where you can vent about your problems be what ever they may be.

You get honest opinions and angered feelings ,but you get the respect that you deserve.

There have been so many that have fallen to bad times, financally, emotionally and spiritually.

Yet someone, sometimes an unknown cacher has stepped up and lifted that person a little bit higher.

Because of these people, I won't mention names,These wonderful caring and concerned folk ,here on this forum and out there in the geocating world,

I have started to see daylight. The cold has gotten so much warmer and the darkness, so much brighter.

I have a wonderful son, 2 super brothers and an awesome sis in law, that will be there for me and now, I will always have this community, The geocachers both known and unknown, to believe in.

Thank you All!

opalsnsn

PS.. Good luck to everyone!

I would have to say that my favorite part of all of this is just the ability to communicate with other people that enjoy my hobby. The best gift of all is being able to forget about life, schoolwork, work work, and everything else.... even if it's just for a couple of minutes a day.It is like vegging out, but still participating in something bigger.

But, there are times when I have to bring things that I notice or get from these forums and speak to my friend/Philosophy professor about. He is always delighted to hear about new subjects. A couple of months ago I received Carpe Diem (my favorite coin that I have ever received). Of course, I had to show Dr. Newman. He loved the idea of artsy coins traveling around ... and said that I should always treasure it. He is fluent in Greek and knows a lot of Latin. We discussed some of the phrases for about a half hour. It is nice to know that even muggles have a certain appreciation for the art of the coins.

Thank you Coin community!

As a new "Coin-head", I have not had the opportunity to gather that much experience with specific situations of "the Spirit" but this past Holiday season, I saw something that sure gave me faith in my fellow man - whether coin related or not.

One of our own, Rivercacher, was in poor health and I have never seen a community of people gather together to show support so quickly or so earnestly as we all did around here. Many people (including me) only know Rivercacher as some pixels on a monitor but that didn't matter. Someone needed to know that there were people out there thinking of him and this community came through in spades. It had nothing to do with coins, caching or any related topics. It was all about love for someone who was in need of a little extra - and who among us doesn't need a little extra love now and then.

-Funkmaster-T

There are so many nice replies already, and I'm a newbie who is just starting to learn about this great community. I didn't plan to post in this topic, but reading the post where drneal shared how a little piece of metal related to wonderful memories, just put tears in my eyes.

I'd like to thank drneal for sharing the story, and the coin giver for the thoughtfulness. That is an example of a story that really inspires me to be the kind of person that adds small bits of warmth and joy to people's lives, here and elsewhere.

For starters, I'm waiting for the arrival of a geocoin that I will offer in the "Pay it forward" thread, just as Little Miss Muffet did for me some weeks ago.

Edited by mamoreb

Oh my, what a nice cointest!

There are so many examples as to how/why this community is the greatest.

For me personally, I had started coin collecting back in 2005. I found the forums (not the coin forums yet though) and watched all the flame wars. It was so bad that Darryl banned me from them. He said that I kept "getting violent at all the stupidity." Which was true. I got mad, really mad at all the stupidity that kept floating around, so I had to stop. It was with a great amount of trepidation that I logged back on to the coin forums. I was welcomed with open arms. I was amazed at the generosity of the mystery coiners, which I had just learned about when I came back. People willingly giving away coins? Wow. Then Kate sent me a Bell Witch, double wow. My first mystery coin from the coiner themselves. I will never forget that feeling. Then I read that someone has fell on hard times, there is a coin on the e-place to raise money for so and so. I watch the bid go up and up and up. Then another coin is listed, this one being an LE. People coming out of the woodwork donating coins to sell in order to help. The generosity of the community was overwhelming. Where else can you find this kind of generosity? I've been a member of many clubs and communities, none have ever show the generosity and love as I find here. Every time I log on here, I am reminded just how wonderful everyone is.

Hello to all!!! I am so glad I am back!!! my PC died and...

Oh!!! speaking of generosity....from where shall I start??? there are so many great people here in the forums... so many who do not post here...

shall I start from the mystery coin givers who are making us feel so nice and special without even know who they are??

I entered here in this game and I was a stranger...none knew me and I didn't know anyone.. and very soon I felt all the love and caring from all!!! all welcomed me with open arms and hugs!!! WOW!!

I am afraid that I may forget someone... and make him or her, sad! I was honored with coins, I was gifted coins, I adopted coins... and when I could, I was paying back...according to my economical strength!

Cachers that I do not see posting here a lot... were so amazing to me!! I will never forget them!!!

For now I will mention Ambrosia who send me 3 amazing and rare coins that I wouldn't had any chance to find... the Lackeys 2007 and the volunteer 2005 and 2008 geocoins! coins that is in the wish list of many cachers!!! WOW!!

Sivota who is surprising me with her parcels and letters, with coins, chocholate surprises, cards....

some of these coins are so special!!! I can not find words to write.. no words to say... you are all so helpfull and kind... so generous... Cachers donating coins for events, they are making things to help others, they care for others... no matter if they do not know them from close... isn't that great?? Seeing these things makes us better men... makes us more human... in these days where humanity seems to be forgotten!!

Cachers helped me (and I am sure others too) even in my other collections too!! I am doing my best to help others too! I like that! It is like we are all a family!! all these days that I was off... I missed you all!

you know.... generousity is not only in coins etc.... it is in feelings!!! and I have seen so much generosity here....

an other thing that I really have to thank you all... is that because I really like it here and have lots of fun, I started posting and posting... and except that I made good friends, I started remembering my english again! I stoped learning back in 1992 so...

by posting... and by making spelling mistakes... (even now I am making mostly from speed...), grammar mistakes... my english that were rusty became better and better.. with the result of.... taking the exams for the State certificate of English! I took the results last week! I passed with the score 94 out of 100!!!! WOW!! :D actually I didn't expect this score at all... but... :lol:

Thank you all my friends for everything... Thank you so much!!!!!

Edited by GATOULIS

an other thing that I really have to thank you all... is that because I really like it here and have lots of fun, I started posting and posting... and except that I made good friends, I started remembering my english again! I stoped learning back in 1992 so...

by posting... and by making spelling mistakes... (even now I am making mostly from speed...), grammar mistakes... my english that were rusty became better and better.. with the result of.... taking the exams for the State certificate of English! I took the results last week! I passed with the score 94 out of 100!!!! WOW!! :D actually I didn't expect this score at all... but... :lol:

Not entering the cointest but couldn't resist adding this..

How about French lessons now Gatoulis? :anibad: Glad to see you're back, we missed you ;)

Write your favorite story or stories of where you have experienced this spirit. Let us know for example where you had been overwhelmed by someone´s generosity. Or write a story about the small things which are also a piece of the puzzle. To open the cointest also to those that have not yet experienced the spirit just write about a story that you read in this forum which impressed you.

5dqof488.jpg

All right, but before I start this story, let me set a bit of the backdrop. See, I work in the oil & gas and I spend a lot of time in West Africa. Everything from Ivory Coast to Namibia and all points between. So, there I was, researching RV campers, when I "stumble" across this word I've never heard of: Geocaching.

Next thing I know, I'm spending the next 7 weeks of my Nigeria time, reading about geocaching. And I spend PLENTY-PLENTY time in the geocaching forums. While I'm there, I learn there is a group of geocachers in my home state.

Cut to the end of the story, I'm having a great time my first month on the trails. I hit the 100 mark, and I have a 5 year old son, who goes with me, and at the end of each day, he always says "That was fun. Can we geocache again tomorrow."

Well, my days off came to an end, and I needed to head back to Nigeria. I was not only sad because I was leaving my family, I wanted to go my first "Event", but it was going to take place a week after I left. I told everyone how much I wanted to go, but wasn't going to be able to.

Now... 6 of the top 10 Geocachers in my home state, not only were going to go to the event, they diverted their travel plan, so they would be able to go "find" the cache at my driveway. They not only came by, they made sure that 5 year old I had writing so much about, was going to be home. They all came over, my wife had cakes, coffee and finger sandwiches made up, and they spent a good hour plus, meeting my son, and entertaining him.

These are folks I haven't "actually" met. But they knew I was disappointed in not being able to go to their event, and when I told me son I wasn't going to be able to go (my rotation schedule changed), they came to him.

And not only spent some him - they brought him a hand-crafted walking stick, with its own geocoin. My son tells me it is so much better than the one I brought back from Japan 30 years ago. He is so proud of it, he took it with him to Texas to show his grandparents.

Now, I haven't made it back home yet... I leave Nigeria tomorrow. Not only am I looking forward to spending time with my family, I can not wait to actually meet the people who went out of there way, to show me .... what geocaching is all about.

DocWahala

5dqof488.jpg

All right, but before I start this story, let me set a bit of the backdrop. See, I work in the oil & gas and I spend a lot of time in West Africa. Everything from Ivory Coast to Namibia and all points between. So, there I was, researching RV campers, when I "stumble" across this word I've never heard of: Geocaching.

Next thing I know, I'm spending the next 7 weeks of my Nigeria time, reading about geocaching. And I spend PLENTY-PLENTY time in the geocaching forums. While I'm there, I learn there is a group of geocachers in my home state.

Cut to the end of the story, I'm having a great time my first month on the trails. I hit the 100 mark, and I have a 5 year old son, who goes with me, and at the end of each day, he always says "That was fun. Can we geocache again tomorrow."

Well, my days off came to an end, and I needed to head back to Nigeria. I was not only sad because I was leaving my family, I wanted to go my first "Event", but it was going to take place a week after I left. I told everyone how much I wanted to go, but wasn't going to be able to.

Now... 6 of the top 10 Geocachers in my home state, not only were going to go to the event, they diverted their travel plan, so they would be able to go "find" the cache at my driveway. They not only came by, they made sure that 5 year old I had writing so much about, was going to be home. They all came over, my wife had cakes, coffee and finger sandwiches made up, and they spent a good hour plus, meeting my son, and entertaining him.

These are folks I haven't "actually" met. But they knew I was disappointed in not being able to go to their event, and when I told me son I wasn't going to be able to go (my rotation schedule changed), they came to him.

And not only spent some him - they brought him a hand-crafted walking stick, with its own geocoin. My son tells me it is so much better than the one I brought back from Japan 30 years ago. He is so proud of it, he took it with him to Texas to show his grandparents.

Now, I haven't made it back home yet... I leave Nigeria tomorrow. Not only am I looking forward to spending time with my family, I can not wait to actually meet the people who went out of there way, to show me .... what geocaching is all about.

DocWahala

WOW!!! You are visiting many countries!! how many of amazing african banknotes are passing for your hand!!! huh!!! they are cheap banknotes but not easy to find here...

Nigeria!! the first African country with polymer banknotes!!! they are fantastic!!! :D

Yes! Geocaching is an amazing game with amazing people!!! :D

I'm still rather new to coins and this forum but have already been the recipient of some wonderful generosity and kindness… it's really made an impact on me. So much so that I was reluctant to try to describe it here… not wanting to spoil it with inadequate words or ruin the "unknown beauty" of it. I don't know how to say that. Part of the magic is that it's not expected. So, I'll try… but I'm going to withhold the names because I don't want people to expect anything of these amazing people. They know who they are and I hope they're proud and happy.

My very first attempt to buy a coin that was no longer available commercially… This particular coin called to me and I had to try to find one. I searched and found it on XXX's available list. Most lists didn't give a price and some even say "trade only". Well, when you're new, you don't have anything to trade and you don't know the values of the coins. It's a difficult position to be in. XXX's list included prices - Yeah! So I wrote and asked to buy the coin and included some newbie-type questions. She gave me all the info I asked for and said she'd send me the coin free since I was new!?! This just blew me away. I don't know how else to put it - It blew me away. She didn't know me and lives across an ocean from me. And then she sent not one but 2 *beautiful* coins! This sort of kindness, generosity and trust in other people impresses me to no end. It inspires me. That spirit is a much larger gift than the coins themselves. Thank you!!!

Another example… I saw a coin in the forums that captivated me. Besides being beautiful, it reminded me of wonderful times & people in my past. It was an event coin from a few years back. So I wrote the original poster, YYY, to see if by chance there were any left over. She helped me find out from the organization that they were all sold out. Then she dug through her coins and found one for me! But she wasn't interested in any of my traders. So I figured that was the end of that. About a week later, I got a package in the mail. ? It's that coin I wanted so much from YYY! Again - This just blew me away. Totally unexpected and inspiring generosity and kindness. It's a thing of beauty.

[WOW!!! You are visiting many countries!! how many of amazing african banknotes are passing for your hand!!! huh!!! they are cheap banknotes but not easy to find here...

Nigeria!! the first African country with polymer banknotes!!! they are fantastic!!! :D

Yes! Geocaching is an amazing game with amazing people!!! :D

Mr G!

I wasn't expecting to see any feedback for my post, but am happy it caught your attention. I'm sorry I don't have much more time left before I have to head out with my driver and begin my return travels back to the states. But...!!!!

When I do return, I'm coming back here, and I'd be more than happy to talk about the banknotes - if you're interested in having some, just let me know. We'll touch base and share more details - you have my word!

DocWahala

Mr G!

I wasn't expecting to see any feedback for my post, but am happy it caught your attention. I'm sorry I don't have much more time left before I have to head out with my driver and begin my return travels back to the states. But...!!!!

When I do return, I'm coming back here, and I'd be more than happy to talk about the banknotes - if you're interested in having some, just let me know. We'll touch base and share more details - you have my word!

DocWahala

I enjoyed reading your post as I enjoyed reading all of the posts so far!

Have a safe trip back home!

Thomas

Edited by yanagi

Hello to all!!! I am so glad I am back!!! my PC died and...

Welcome back, Gatoulis, and a big congrats on that English test!

I love the connections on this forum. I tell all my friends that I have a friend in Greece -- Gatoulis! Of course, we have never actually met, but I feel I know him and if I were ever in that part of the world, I would surely look him up! I also mention that I have friends in the Netherlands, Australia, England, Canada. I would never have learned to fill out that little customs form if it were not for this forum! And my world really would be smaller and less fulfilling.

I feel that too my friend! :) I have friends in so many places around the world! No matter if we haven't actually met...yet (you never know... maybe in the future... :D ) I feel I know you all, I care for you, you are my friends!! This game... geocaching if not just a game... it is way much better than that! :)

oh.. and my real name is Nikos! :D

Edited by GATOULIS

Like others have said, it's like a family. There are squabbles now and then, but by and large we stick by each other even though few of us have actually met!

My three short stories:

1) When I first started the forums, I posted in one of the wish-list topics about a certain coin I liked. Next thing I knew I had an email asking for my address! IBCrashen gifted me my first coin and gave me my introduction to the giving spirit of geocoiners.

2) It is true that most of us have never met in person, but given the opportunity we gladly will. Tsunrisebey is serious when she says to drop her a line if you are ever up her way in Montana! My family made a road trip in 2009 from Florida to Washington state and arranged a short detour to visit her in Helena. We ended up being late getting out of Yellowstone and missed our original planned meet time, but she told us to give her a call when we got near and she'd run back into town to meet us! When we got there we had a good time, and she told us to visit a nearby cache where she'd left a package for us. It had one of her brand new cachehoppers, Tananka (did I spell that right?) and one of her personals!

3) While deployed in 2009 I held some events in Iraq, and sent a message asking if anyone wanted their TBs or coins started in or dipped in Iraq at the events. I got a number of packages with coins to use as door prize giveaways including 12 Luck and Protection Mystery coins to distribute to fellow Cachers downrange.

All the coiners I've had dealings with have been forthright, trusting, generous souls. They love this hobby and love to share it with others.

Like others have said, it's like a family. There are squabbles now and then, but by and large we stick by each other even though few of us have actually met!

My three short stories:

1) When I first started the forums, I posted in one of the wish-list topics about a certain coin I liked. Next thing I knew I had an email asking for my address! IBCrashen gifted me my first coin and gave me my introduction to the giving spirit of geocoiners.

2) It is true that most of us have never met in person, but given the opportunity we gladly will. Tsunrisebey is serious when she says to drop her a line if you are ever up her way in Montana! My family made a road trip in 2009 from Florida to Washington state and arranged a short detour to visit her in Helena. We ended up being late getting out of Yellowstone and missed our original planned meet time, but she told us to give her a call when we got near and she'd run back into town to meet us! When we got there we had a good time, and she told us to visit a nearby cache where she'd left a package for us. It had one of her brand new cachehoppers, Tananka (did I spell that right?) and one of her personals!

3) While deployed in 2009 I held some events in Iraq, and sent a message asking if anyone wanted their TBs or coins started in or dipped in Iraq at the events. I got a number of packages with coins to use as door prize giveaways including 12 Luck and Protection Mystery coins to distribute to fellow Cachers downrange.

All the coiners I've had dealings with have been forthright, trusting, generous souls. They love this hobby and love to share it with others.

:) I think you are talking about the amazing Tatanka geocoin.... I love it too!!! It is in my heart for its beauty, its simplicity and becasue it is a native american theme...

I am happy to see you posting again my friend!!!

Steve, (six little spookies) is an amazing guy and friend! He is very generous and he gifted me something I will always have and think of him! Many of his double pog currency from Iraq and Afghanistan! these are used by USA forces and British forces (they have their own ones)! It would had been impossible to find at least one and now I have so many!!!! I will always thank Steve! :)

See.... this is when I was saying that there are great guys here that are helping me in my other collections....

I am also posting here for an other reason... I forgot to thank for the great generousity 2 other great cachers that just came in my mind... and I am so sorry that I forgot to mention them in my first post! Sunsetmeadowlark and her mother (sorry I do not remember her codename!!!) who gifted me a whole year of Premioum membership!!!! WOW!!! Ronni I do not see you posting but I hope you and yur mom are fine my friend!

Great idea for a cointest. I enjoy reading these uplifting and heart-warming stories from time to time. I will ocntinue to peruse the thread as time allows.

My story has to do with when I was a newbie (moreso than I am now). A friend told me about cointests, and so I decided to come into the forums and check them out for myself. I entered one, then another, and then another. Then, my name came up, and I was the lucky recipient of my first coin (but at the time I did not know which one it would be). Around the same time, I offered to help someone with a project and release some coins to travel. In exchange for doing this, this person gave me a coin of my own. I was thrilled to finally have one, and have my collection started. Shortly thereafter, I received my first cointest prize mentioned above, and they happened to be the same coin, ironically enough.

Not long after that, I saw someone else write in a thread that she was trying to get her hands on a particular coin, and it happened to be the exact coin that I had 2 of. I contacted her and told her that I had one available for trade if she was interested, thinking that I might be able to get a 2nd coin for my collection. She responded that she had already obtained one, but appreciated my offer enough that she decided to send me a "care package," with several other coins, a bison tube to use for a cahce, a bracelet and some sticers for my son and caching partner (who was 7 at the time), and a wonderful note. IOn addition, she solicited some other coiners to do the same. As a result, my collection suddenly grew from 2 coins that were the same, to about 12 different coins. This was a wonderful gesture, that I still appreciate to this day.

As a result, I would like to send a public THANK YOU to this wonderful person who did so much to get my collection started - OPALSNS. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I have been praying for you in your difficult times recently, and was glad to read above that things are starting to get better for you.

I only have one story. I am still an infant geocacher, only having been registered since August of 2010. I recently had the chance to attend my first event, an ice cream social in the greater Pittsburgh area. It was very awkward at first, not knowing members of the crowd who (mostly) knew each other from previous events. I went to the coin discovering table, to write down tracking codes of coins I could discover. So many of the coins were stunning and beautiful. It was there that people started talking to me, asking me about my username here, asking me about my own minute trackable collection. There I made some great connections that will last and I owe it to a table filled with geocoins to discover.

Didn´t read it here, but in another geocoin forum: (hope my english is good enough to understand the story)

A Cacher started a tombola, telling us the story behind - we all spended coins and buyed lottery tickets to collect money - for a significant surgery of a cachers beloved dog, wherefore he couldn´t raise enough funds by himself (he was not the threadstarter himself). Well, long story short words: many cacher helped, some won coins and all had a big smile when the first sugery was survived. Now we wish our best for the next time and that the dog will be well soon...

I found this a very good thing and was part of this with many good feelings...

And myself had be part of the "cacher famliy" by some coingifts i got during asking for trades. Thats a great feeling and i could not say "thank you very much for this" often enough...

This is definitely one thread I could not wait to get back and finish reading. I was able to catch up and read a few during one of my layovers, but wasnt able to read them all.

Well, now I'm back in the states, and have finished reading/responding to 3 full days worth of emails from work. Guess what I get to do now? Spend the rest of my off time reading about Geocaching, and having fun working on my own coin project.

Mr G - At both Nigerian airports, when I was buying something to eat, I was trying to get different bills for the change. I didnt get everything I wanted, but I do have a good start. I am going to have to ask for just a few days to get a package ready, I'm not at MY house... I diverted flights so I could be with my parents. My dad is undergoing chemo, and I want my mom to take a break.

BUT.. I do have some bills for you!! And when I return, Im going to round out the collection, (and even replace some of the ones Im sending, with new bills). Heads up - this go round, it will be all Nigeria Naira. When I return, Im going to try to have one of my guys send me some bills from Cameroon. And who knows... maybe later this year I'll have a chance to return to Namibia, or finally get to go to Angola. Will make it a point to be on the look out for something different.

Heck, I'll see if I can get ahold of my brother before he rotates back to the states. He works Singapore and has layover in Moscow. If I dont get any this time, I should have some in about 8 weeks.

DocWahala

Wow!!! You are amazing DocWahala!!!

Well... I hope the notes are cheap... I can not affort expensive banknotes! :)

Can I ask something.... and I hope yanagi will forgive me if I am hijacking the thread....

Are tribes in Africa still use strange currencies?? I mean like the kissi pence... whch are like...skewers or tools?? I was reading about them and... I was confused!

A Cacher started a tombola, telling us the story behind - we all spended coins and buyed lottery tickets to collect money - for a significant surgery of a cachers beloved dog, wherefore he couldn´t raise enough funds by himself (he was not the threadstarter himself). Well, long story short words: many cacher helped, some won coins and all had a big smile when the first sugery was survived. Now we wish our best for the next time and that the dog will be well soon...

Yes, that was a really awesome thing and I am very proud that I was part of it too!

Can I ask something.... and I hope yanagi will forgive me if I am hijacking the thread....

Actually I really enjoy that this thread is used for that - in the end I think it is another nice example for "the spirit"!!!! So please feel free to continue...

For all others of course the cointest is still going on...

Are tribes in Africa still use strange currencies?? I mean like the kissi pence... whch are like...skewers or tools?? I was reading about them and... I was confused!

First, I want to thank Yanagi for allowing us to continue. As for the African tribes, I am only familiar with those countries which have an offshore presence. Not so much with the interior countries, or the savannah countries. What I do know, is the Nzimbu (shell coin) is only seen with the traditional ceremonies.

In Nigeria, if we're not paying with Naira, we use Dollar, Euro, Pound. But my friend Prince Chidi, once told me the villages and tribes still honor the hereditary leadership. So, there is the Federal governmet, the State Governors, and the Tribal King. (Keep in mind, in Nigeria, there are over 300 tribes). He told me the Nzimbu (shell money) is no longer used, except as ceremonial tribute (which still takes place, and not just for ceremonial purposes, but still as legal entities recognized by the government).

Now, about the currency "costing" too much - I never said anything about paying for the bills. I might not yet be able to play "Mystery Coiner", and any coins I would send out are not bound to be exciting, but hey! if I can put a few bills in an envelope and it makes someone smile, then it's worth the time and effort.

Just send an address to docwahala@yahoo.com

And if anyone else is interested, just let me know.

Now.... back to the GREAT cointest thread!!

You only need to look at the last half dozen or so posts to see what a great place to hang out this forum actually is., good deeds being done even while discucssing good deeds. :D

I have sent coins to newbies to get them started and received my fair share of mystery coins in return.

I think the best part is the attitude...even when someone does something stupid or inconsiderate, the flames get put out in pretty short order.

The mods deserve a lot of credit for keeping things within the rules and on an even keel.

I watch a lot of threads but this is the only forum I enjoy coming back to just to see what I might have missed.

First, I want to thank Yanagi for allowing us to continue. As for the African tribes, I am only familiar with those countries which have an offshore presence. Not so much with the interior countries, or the savannah countries. What I do know, is the Nzimbu (shell coin) is only seen with the traditional ceremonies.

In Nigeria, if we're not paying with Naira, we use Dollar, Euro, Pound. But my friend Prince Chidi, once told me the villages and tribes still honor the hereditary leadership. So, there is the Federal governmet, the State Governors, and the Tribal King. (Keep in mind, in Nigeria, there are over 300 tribes). He told me the Nzimbu (shell money) is no longer used, except as ceremonial tribute (which still takes place, and not just for ceremonial purposes, but still as legal entities recognized by the government).

Now, about the currency "costing" too much - I never said anything about paying for the bills. I might not yet be able to play "Mystery Coiner", and any coins I would send out are not bound to be exciting, but hey! if I can put a few bills in an envelope and it makes someone smile, then it's worth the time and effort.

Just send an address to docwahala@yahoo.com

And if anyone else is interested, just let me know.

Now.... back to the GREAT cointest thread!!

Oh!!! I am speechless!! thank you so much!!! WOW!!!

As shell money, I know only the cowry sea shells... are the nzimbu cowry sea shells or something else?? WOW!! sea shells are still in use in ceremonies!!!

??? 300 tribes???? WOW!!!

I saw the Kissi pence that I mentioned in a documentary! They are like iron skewers or tools, long and thin and the documentary was saying that they were used in older times as currency 48 to a shilling.... I think, but now they are only in ceremonies.... Africans believe that these kissi pence have a soul and when one is broken, they are taking it with a ceremony to a special... magician to fix it and make it one again so the soul will return... something like that... I just do not remember where this was... I think in west africa... but where exactly...

here is a photo to se it... they look like the obelous... the first coins of greece, before the round coins....

kissimoney2.gif

It was a strange documentary... it showed odd things that were used for money... special bracellets, a strange cross or an X that was in use in Katanga.... Salt bars... (???)...

I will send you my address right away my friend! :) Once again thank you so much!!!!!! :D

One more week to go!

I think this cointests takes a bit too long but it was my first one so I learned my lesson :)

You think a cointest takes to long try running a mission!!!

My best memories of the "bond" that coiners share was the first mission I joined. That was back when you had to have x number of posts to join a mission. I had purchased a few geocoins and I wanted to get into the mission but I needed more posts. I started posting like crazy to get my numbers up then discovered I missed the cut off date. I dropped a note to the OP and they let me join even though I was late. I sent a package and the package I received was awesome and I was hooked.Now I have gone on to actually host missions and I still get involved in them.

The other wonderful memory I have is how we all got behind Mike(RiverCacher)as he overcame his illness long enough to have one last Christmas with is family. RiverCacher touched a lot of hearts and he will be missed.

Just adding a quick story...

As a newbie to geocaching and just obtaining my first geocoin as a Christmas gift, I'm still new to the hobby. So I was excited to dabble by becoming a volunteer to drop coins from a race, while also getting one entry myself. 74 entries were mailed out around December and as of last week, 73 of the coins have started the race, some as far as 9,000+ miles. Just one was lost in the mail or has an unexplained disappearance before reaching its volunteer. Yes, that's right... my coin :sad:

I still had fun volunteering and look forward to following the coin I dropped. However, to complete the story, the organizer of the race has minted a new coin (20 copies) to give away as prizes along the race and offered to send me one for being the last coin.

This generosity goes above and beyond anything I ever expected. I was content just to volunteer and have a coin entered in my name.

talking about the spirit of geocoiners... I would like to thank Mamoreb for her lovely letter, with a card and Ukranian banknotes that she send me for my collection!!!! WOW!! You are so sweet!! :D Thank you so much my dear friend!!! :D I loved the kitten card! :D

So we already have a winner here :lol:

You have 2 more days to take part in this cointest! At the beginning of next week I will write names of all participants on a piece of paper and the winner will be picked by my daughter (she is one and a half year old so there is no chance that she cheats :D )

OK, cointest is closed. Thank you for all the interesting stories which was really fun to read them. Due to the fact that our complete family is recovering from an illness my one year old daughter who is chosen to pick the winner was taken to the grandparents. That means the winner will be picked in the next days so please be patient for a while.

Thomas

After having been sitting in front of my computer for over 2 hours searching this forum I stop here and summarize what I found out:

During my spirit-cointest (i.e. in about one and a half months) I found these stories about THE SPIRIT:

- At least 39 people got mystery coins (including myself), some of them even more than one

- A lot of coins were gifted, sometimes even without letting the receiver know who has sent it. Most of the coins were pretty rare and valuable and I think all of these coins were most wanted by the receivers.

- A lot of things were placed in mission or trade packages as a bonus

- At least 6 more cointests were held beside this cointest

- Some NZ-Eartchquake charity actions were started

- At least 21 coins were adopted or are still open for adoption in the Pay It Forward Thread for free

- Several newbies asked questions and were very warmly welcomed and got their answers without forwarding them to the search feature

- At least 5 missions were, are or will be held and that means someone has to organize it and make sure everything is alright

There were really other great heartwarming stories which are of course not countable

- like the mystery coin that someone wanted to give away to his philosophy professor and the way he got it

- like the mystery coiner who will put a mystery coin for NZ-Earthquake charity on the E-place and the way that happened

- like the River Cacher Memorial Coin - I never had the chance to meet or contact him but all I was able to read about him he must truly be one of the big representatives of THE SPIRIT. I can tell you even not knowing him I have tears in my eyes while writing this.

For sure there are much more of these stories about the generosity that happened and the spirit that was around during this cointest but I think it is to everyone else to read them for themselves. I just thought that to roughly summarize these things in this time period may brightenup some your eyes even if almost all of you know the stories already. Besides that it was fun to read the threads again, too.

So thank you all folks, you are so great!!!!

Ok, now we come to the winner of the cointest. I have put the names of everyone who took part on a note, folded it and put it into a small bowl. I gave it to my 1 year old daughter and she knew exactly what to do and she drew:

bild1r5faxypvnu.jpg

MinnesotaBen

Congratulations! Please send me your address and I will send you the coin.

Thank you for all the nice stories which I really enjoyed.

While writing this my daughter is still playing with the notes how cute :wub: !

playingzj2fpa371l.jpg

Edited by yanagi