Project A.P.E. caches

HHD

I just learned about this type of hide from a friend who told me the one she found was in Illinois but since she found it it has been archived...back in 2006...I know this is an extremely rare type of hide and has been out since 2001 so they are very old. For those of you that don't know what they are in 2001 when the movie planet of the apes came out they had a handful of special cache containers placed all over the country and each one has a piece of movie memorabilia in it from the movie. I have searched the states near me and short of searching all 50 states I was hoping my forum friends could help me by checking their states or posting here if you know of one in your area.

Thanks in advance,

HHD

The Washington State Geocaching Association hosted a "Going APE" event with GeoWoodstock last sumner. The tunnel (closed almost two years) will open this sumner and we are planning another "Going APE" event. So if you are interested in this rare icon, keep an eye out for the announcement.

Yes, we are! Until the event is posted, you can get updates as we have them via this thread: Going APE...All Over Again. Current plan is to hold the event on Sunday, Aug. 21, the day after Groundspeak's Block Party, offering a caching destination weekend in the Pacific Northwest. I met with Bryan at Groundspeak last week, and we have their full support.

For those who have visited the APE cache (or plan to) and would like a trinket for their trek, we also offer APE coins and cachekinz here.

The Washington State Geocaching Association hosted a "Going APE" event with GeoWoodstock last sumner. The tunnel (closed almost two years) will open this sumner and we are planning another "Going APE" event. So if you are interested in this rare icon, keep an eye out for the announcement.

Any word on roughly when the tunnel will open? Washington State Park system will not return my messages. Tried the primary park ranger phone and also the main DNR office.

Any word on roughly when the tunnel will open? Washington State Park system will not return my messages. Tried the primary park ranger phone and also the main DNR office.

Unofficial word is June 2011.

I don't know if this has been proposed yet but I searched for "Planet of the apes prop" on Ebay and saw plenty of props starting around 15 bucks or so which include a certificate of authenticity. Would it be possible to adopt one of the archived caches and place a prop in it?

Hopeful,

Chris

It's a very nice idea, but there is very little chance of this happening. (I'm almost uncomfortable saying "very little" because it seems to imply that there is some chance at all, and I sincerely doubt that there is.)

In the distant past, a couple of the listings were replaced after the original containers went missing - but listing was changed from an APE cache to a Traditional. I believe anyone who had found the original APE container lost the APE icon when that happened - that must have been brutal for icon collectors. Mission 3 was like that.

Unfortunately no. As an owner of one of the caches, the decision was made by Groundspeak that once the container is gone (mine was stolen) the cache cannot be revived, other than in "tribute" form, without the icon.

without having to go back and read a bunch of old threads I kind of remember a thread about the A.P.E. cache in Washington having the lid to the container stolen during GW8. didn't it have a special APE coin attached to it, was it ever retrieved?

I talked to someone at GW9 and they told me the heartbreaking news that Mission 9: Tunnel of Light has been archived. The container was COMPLETELY stolen.

I checked online and sure enough, the listing GC1169 was archived on June 13. That is such a bummer. I was planning my next vacation around finding that iconic cache.

I talked to someone at GW9 and they told me the heartbreaking news that Mission 9: Tunnel of Light has been archived. The container was COMPLETELY stolen.

I checked online and sure enough, the listing GC1169 was archived on June 13. That is such a bummer. I was planning my next vacation around finding that iconic cache.

Hopefully you keep scheduling that trip. I and some other local volunteers will be replacing it with a Tribute cache in the exact same spot and (Other then the bottom corners) the exact same container and the original cache page with a few small additions. Permission has already been received from Moun10bike and Groundspeak and I am mainly awaiting a go ahead from the Land Manager, who is enthusiastic to get a cache back up there. I know for some people the fact the icon isn't there anymore means the cache is meaningless, I feel different. There is no reason the spot cannot continue to be the third leg of the Triad and the experience you will get coming through the Tunnel of Light and the amazing view should not be depreciated at all. I will have a Proxy Coin of a Moun10bike (The Inventor of Geocoins) Coin. The original had a Moun10bike coin you could discover on the lid. It will be as close to the original as possible. I hope to publish "Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed on the 10 year anniversary of the original being placed, which is coming up on the 18th of this month (Pending final land manager permissions and permits). Also keep in mind that the trails the APE cache was on contain the second oldest active cache in Washington as well as 2 of the top 20 Favorited caches in Washington.

Hopefully you keep scheduling that trip. I and some other local volunteers will be replacing it with a Tribute cache in the exact same spot and (Other then the bottom corners) the exact same container and the original cache page with a few small additions.

Thank you for doing this and your perseverance in working to get it done. I was fortunate to do Mission 9 when the tunnel was open. It was a great experience - regardless of whether it has an APE icon or not it would be worth a visit. I certainly want to return one of these days.

Hopefully you keep scheduling that trip. I and some other local volunteers will be replacing it with a Tribute cache in the exact same spot and (Other then the bottom corners) the exact same container and the original cache page with a few small additions. Permission has already been received from Moun10bike and Groundspeak and I am mainly awaiting a go ahead from the Land Manager, who is enthusiastic to get a cache back up there. I know for some people the fact the icon isn't there anymore means the cache is meaningless, I feel different. There is no reason the spot cannot continue to be the third leg of the Triad and the experience you will get coming through the Tunnel of Light and the amazing view should not be depreciated at all. I will have a Proxy Coin of a Moun10bike (The Inventor of Geocoins) Coin. The original had a Moun10bike coin you could discover on the lid. It will be as close to the original as possible. I hope to publish "Mission 9: Tunnel of Light Reclaimed on the 10 year anniversary of the original being placed, which is coming up on the 18th of this month (Pending final land manager permissions and permits). Also keep in mind that the trails the APE cache was on contain the second oldest active cache in Washington as well as 2 of the top 20 Favorited caches in Washington.

Put about 30 lbs of concrete in the bottom. May give it lasting power. :)

Put about 30 lbs of concrete in the bottom. May give it lasting power. :)

I assume you're going to come along to carry it, right :) I all seriousness I do have a plan to use a reasonably heavy chain to attach it to various pieces in the "cairn". That is once I solve my new problem:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=277477

Edited by Hypnopaedia

I have a gut feeling that your replacement cache will recieve a large amount of favorites.

I have a gut feeling that your replacement cache will recieve a large amount of favorites.

It probably will, but that's certainly not my reason for placing it.

:rolleyes: Once you have completed the triad, don't forget to do Shelrik's center of the Triad Challenge (GC1WYHN). We are still letting people do the challenge as long as you have logged the other 2 required caches and at least had the strong desire to want to find mission9: Tunnel of Light. This is a Temporary allowance until Groundspeak decides what they are going to do as far as some sort of tribute , virtual or replacement cache. ™Happy Caching!!!! Shelrik

:rolleyes: Once you have completed the triad, don't forget to do Shelrik's center of the Triad Challenge (GC1WYHN). We are still letting people do the challenge as long as you have logged the other 2 required caches and at least had the strong desire to want to find mission9: Tunnel of Light. This is a Temporary allowance until Groundspeak decides what they are going to do as far as some sort of tribute , virtual or replacement cache. ™Happy Caching!!!! Shelrik

There is already a tribute cache in the works, as I posted on the Challenge page.

There is already a tribute cache in the works, as I posted on the Challenge page.

Actually you will be happy to know The Tribute Cache is in place and ready for publish. (Well, Maybe. We may need to wait until Monday or Tuesday to get a physical copy of the permit) I also replaced the 3 caches along the Iron Horse Trail that had been stolen along with the APE Cache (With the CO's Permission).