Canadian Souvenirs

entogeek

I just went and took a look at all the souvenirs and i think they are beautiful and a great Idea, i am hoping they will eventually make one for Bermuda, as it maybe a small little island but a place cachers love to go...........

Thank you Groundspeak for this great idea and I look forward to seeing more and more souvenirs

I got BC now. Just waiting for Alberta and PEI now.

Me too. Nice looking graphic but I don't think the designer was from BC or did much research on BC. A polar bear? Really? GreySurprized.gif I can think of a lot of different animals that might represent BC but a polar bear wouldn't be one of them.

The maple leaves make me scratch my head, too. BC is not really known for its maple trees, not that we don't have a few. The indigenous maple in BC is the Big Leaf Maple aka Western Maple and their leaves don't look anything like those. (I know - picky, picky...) GreySmirk.gif

It is pretty, though. GreyLaughingAnim.gif

GreySquint.gif

The maple leaves make me scratch my head, too. BC is not really known for its maple trees, not that we don't have a few.

I'm guessing the maple leaves will appear in all 13 souvenirs and is supposed to be a unifying theme across the whole country, like the maple leaf on the flag. Apparently, there are ten species of maple native to Canada, and at least one is found in each province (not sure about the territories). Personally, I kind of like the idea.

Me too. Nice looking graphic but I don't think the designer was from BC or did much research on BC. A polar bear? Really? GreySurprized.gif I can think of a lot of different animals that might represent BC but a polar bear wouldn't be one of them.

The maple leaves make me scratch my head, too. BC is not really known for its maple trees, not that we don't have a few. The indigenous maple in BC is the Big Leaf Maple aka Western Maple and their leaves don't look anything like those. (I know - picky, picky...) GreySmirk.gif

It is pretty, though. GreyLaughingAnim.gif

GreySquint.gif

It's a Kermode bear or Spirit bear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermode_bear and I suspect that lots of folks will make the same mistake. Personally, I think the bear is just too 'cutesy' and it makes me think of the Snuggle laundry detergent....new rainforest fresh scent!

Edited to add that I do like the general style of the art itself.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

I got BC now. Just waiting for Alberta and PEI now.

I also received BC, but I have never been caching west of the great lakes ?!? Finally realized that last summer I logged "Bernie's Traveling GeoCache" GC2179 which is based in BC. Groundspeak must have noticed this little technical situation, because this evening, they took away my BC souvenir. I guess this is another reason that Traveling Caches were banned years ago.

Great souvenier for B.C.

The Spirit Bear (also known as the Kermode Bear, Ursus americanus kermodei) was added to the list of B.C.'s official symbols in April 2006. The greatest concentration of Spirit Bears can be found on the Central Coast and North Coast of British Columbia. The Spirit Bear is not albino, but rather it is a black bear that has white fur due to a rare genetic trait.

Keep up the great work.

Saskatchewan souvenir is out..... <_< Snow covered mountains?? Seriously?? Apparently it doesn't have to represent the province geographically. I am somewhat disappointed.

Sarah of Houlagans

I just got our eagerly awaited Saskatchewan Souvenir, too. I think that they mixed up Saskatchewan and Alberta and have sent them a email indicating the problem. Will keep you updated.

Love the maple leaves!

Saskatchewan souvenir is out..... <_< Snow covered mountains?? Seriously?? Apparently it doesn't have to represent the province geographically. I am somewhat disappointed.

Yeah, so am I. Mountains aren't the first things that spring to mind when I think of Saskatchewan. It would have been a nice souvenir for Alberta. Alberta should be the next one published, so it will be interesting to see if they feature our fields of grain.

Oh, and here's the image:

27d9b32b-8a1d-4df1-b409-0fa1e40a6c71.png

Edited by CanadianRockies

Sarah of Houlagans

I just got our eagerly awaited Saskatchewan Souvenir, too. I think that they mixed up Saskatchewan and Alberta and have sent them a email indicating the problem. Will keep you updated.

Love the maple leaves!

We got our response back from Groundspeak. Very quick!

They do have a different souvenir planned for Alberta.

Unfortunately they didn't seem to understand that Saskatchewan is not a mountain province. So I responded and explained that I lived all my life in Saskatchewan until a few years ago and have caches hidden in Saskatchewan. And discussed my pride in my flatland province including the dog running away joke.

As a solution, they did offer to remove the Saskatchewan souvenir from my profile.

Maybe other proud Saskatchewanites need to send a email or should I start a Feedback topic and use my first point?

Very disappointing indeed.

Has anyone from Saskatchewan thought about emailing Groundspeak and telling them that there are no mountains in the province? Maybe they would be willing to change it so that it depicts what comes to mind when you think of Saskatchewan. Wouldn't hurt to try.

:)

Opps.... never mind! I see that you did. Your post came up at the same time as mine :)

That is unfortunate that was the response that you received. I don't know if anyone from Ontario can help but maybe providing our support by writing in as well would help. I posted the subject on the SWOG Facebook Page.

Edited by brendah

Sarah of Houlagans

Love the maple leaves!

We got our response back from Groundspeak. Very quick!

They do have a different souvenir planned for Alberta.

Unfortunately they didn't seem to understand that Saskatchewan is not a mountain province. So I responded and explained that I lived all my life in Saskatchewan until a few years ago and have caches hidden in Saskatchewan. And discussed my pride in my flatland province including the dog running away joke.

As a solution, they did offer to remove the Saskatchewan souvenir from my profile.

Maybe other proud Saskatchewanites need to send a email or should I start a Feedback topic and use my first point?

Very disappointing indeed.

Our second response. Even faster than the first!

They thanked me for my email explaining the issue and they will pass them onto their mobile development team as they may not have been aware of the issue.

I feel that the mobile development team has created many beautiful depictions of countries, states and provinces. It is understandable that a mix-up could occur.

Will keep you updated.

Opps. spelling errors

Edited by mwellman

yep - I think you're right! I read this review of the movie and thought it was pretty funny...

"I had the opportunity to see "Saskatchewan" lately, and viewing it brought back memories of my parents telling me about the film. When they saw it in a Calgary theatre in 1954, the audience didn't stop laughing from beginning to end. Mounties -- in 1950s DRESS UNIFORMS -- travelling through the mountains of Saskatchewan on horses! While singing! Short, skinny little Alan Ladd (with the strongest American accent on file) as a NWMP officer! Protecting his pure, innocent white girl from the evil Indians! While the towering Rockies surround FORT WALSH! Even now, knowing that the old Saskatchewan Territory took in much of Southern Alberta (but not the mountains), it's a very, very funny movie. Imagine Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas in character as Bob and Doug MacKenzie playing New Jersey State Police officers and riding around Arizona on horseback - and it's not a comedy - and you get the idea."

Who know Shelly Winters was ever that young :unsure:

Our second response. Even faster than the first!

They thanked me for my email explaining the issue and they will pass them onto their mobile development team as they may not have been aware of the issue.

I feel that the mobile development team has created many beautiful depictions of countries, states and provinces. It is understandable that a mix-up could occur.

Will keep you updated.

Opps. spelling errors

Groundspeak got back to me this afternoon and have spoken with the mobile developers about the issue. So that they can fix it sooner, they requested that I post a report in the Souvenir's section of the Feedback site which I did and used my first vote there.

Only the 214th issue. If other geocachers could post their comments, we can get this corrected quicker.

it's up to 176th. I gave it some votes (whatever they are) but it only seems to let one give a max of 3 votes.

Doug - BC prairies sounds ok to me, at least temporarily. Driving down to Vancouver in a week and a half and I'd like a winter time Fraser Canyon a lot better if it was flat.

maybe a mix up...posted 3 votes to get GS mobile to relook at the image...pushed to 72nd rank...now I need to go to the province to earn the souvenir :laughing:

make sure you bring your climbing gear for those mountains :D

Yes, I hear they are more majestic then the Rockies in BC... :lol:

Edited for spelling error

Edited by Fonty Family

Be that as it may be. In my past I have lived From Nipawin to Broadview, from Onion Lake to Sturgis, and places in between and I have yet to see mountains in Saskatchewan.

Don't tell me that! I just got a great deal on a ski vacation in Star City, Saskatchewan... GreySmirk.gif

GreySquint.gif

Be that as it may be. In my past I have lived From Nipawin to Broadview, from Onion Lake to Sturgis, and places in between and I have yet to see mountains in Saskatchewan.

Don't tell me that! I just got a great deal on a ski vacation in Star City, Saskatchewan... GreySmirk.gif

GreySquint.gif

oooh - have I got a deal on a bridge for you! ah, never mind, it's probably a cross-country ski vacation and you'll be too clever for my offer.

Edited by Qbar
Yes, I hear they are more majestic then the Rockies in BC... :lol:

Actually, BC does have some Rocky Mountains. For example,

308f0feb-aee5-4d05-a2fb-ebf1f5fdb003.jpg

It's just that some people assume the Rockies go all the way to the coast, which they don't. BC is wall-to-wall mountains, but of different names. Picture is from Height of the Rockies Provincial Park (of BC).

Edited by Viajero Perdido

The maple leaves make me scratch my head, too. BC is not really known for its maple trees, not that we don't have a few.

I'm guessing the maple leaves will appear in all 13 souvenirs and is supposed to be a unifying theme across the whole country, like the maple leaf on the flag. Apparently, there are ten species of maple native to Canada, and at least one is found in each province (not sure about the territories). Personally, I kind of like the idea.

+1

Yeah, so am I. Mountains aren't the first things that spring to mind when I think of Saskatchewan. It would have been a nice souvenir for Alberta. Alberta should be the next one published, so it will be interesting to see if they feature our fields of grain.

couldn't resist adding this when I hear mountains in Saskatchewan, season one, episode one:

Brent: want me to fill it up?

Man: sure, you know I’ve never driven across Saskatchewan before

Brent: well, you still haven’t really. Bout half way to go yet

Man: sure is flat

Brent: how do you mean?

Man: you know, flat, nothing to see

Brent: what do you mean, like topographically? Hey Hank, this guy says Saskatchewan is flat.

Hank: How do you mean?

Brent: topographically I guess, says there nothing to see

Hank: there’s lot’s to see, nothing to block your view

Brent: there’s lot’s to see, nothing to block your view.

Like the mountains back there. They're-a, well what the hell? I could have sworn there was a big mountain range back there.

Juttin’ up into the sky all purple and majestic. Must be thinking of a postcard I saw or something.

Ya, it is kind of flat, thanks for pointing it out.

Man: you guys always this sarcastic?

Brent: nothing else to do.

So I think they may have watched this movie as their inspiration: Saskatchewan

:lol:

I'm hoping I'll wake up in the morning and see mountains out my window...

bwhahaha, that's awesome!

Come one Canadians! Lets stand together and get this boosted to the top 10. Click Here To Vote!!

voted, just now. still at 38th. also added the Corner Gas quote over there.

couldn't resist adding this when I hear mountains in Saskatchewan, season one, episode one:

Brent: want me to fill it up?

Man: sure, you know I’ve never driven across Saskatchewan before

Brent: well, you still haven’t really. Bout half way to go yet

Man: sure is flat

Brent: how do you mean?

Man: you know, flat, nothing to see

Brent: what do you mean, like topographically? Hey Hank, this guy says Saskatchewan is flat.

Hank: How do you mean?

Brent: topographically I guess, says there nothing to see

Hank: there’s lot’s to see, nothing to block your view

Brent: there’s lot’s to see, nothing to block your view.

Like the mountains back there. They're-a, well what the hell? I could have sworn there was a big mountain range back there.

Juttin’ up into the sky all purple and majestic. Must be thinking of a postcard I saw or something.

Ya, it is kind of flat, thanks for pointing it out.

Man: you guys always this sarcastic?

Brent: nothing else to do.

+1

Edited - for sucking at quotes

Edited by MikeAndHike