Canadian Souvenirs

entogeek

Just found an Ontario souvenir on my profile. At first glance on my iPhone I thought the bird was a cormorant and immediately went "Gaahh", and wondered why it wasn't a loon. Then looking at it on the PC I see it is a loon! Personally I like this one and glad to see that it has finally arrived. Here's to looking forward to the rest of them.

why does it say "1 of 13"?...Ontario is a Province and there's only 10

other than that it is really pretty, thank you :D

Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut would be my guess for the additional 3.

yeah i know, but the provinces are distinct from the territories :anibad:

why does it say "1 of 13"?...Ontario is a Province and there's only 10

other than that it is really pretty, thank you :D

Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut would be my guess for the additional 3.

yeah i know, but the provinces are distinct from the territories :anibad:

But all part of Canada :anibad:

lol

well see now you tossed out the window my assumption that it referred to the provinces, so we can "drill" further and ask why does it say "Canada one of 13"? :anitongue:

seriously though, as i said its a really pretty Souvenir, i just wish that "1 of 13" could be removed

Edited by t4e

lol

well see now you tossong out the window my assumption that it referred to the provinces, so we can "drill" further and ask why does it say "Canada one of 13"? :anitongue:

seriously though, as i said its a really pretty Souvenir, i just wish that "1 of 13" could be removed

It is rather nice. I wonder if maybe there'll be something like an additional souvenir for Canada as a whole once all 13 provinces and territories have been cached?

I'm guessing it's going to be a finite set, the provinces/territories, so they're numbered. Any other Canadian souvenirs they issue would form part of another series. Shrug, at least they identified each of the 3 Territories separately, sometimes we are all kinda grouped together in one leftover lump, the 10 Provinces and the Territories. ;)

The Ontario souvenir is nice because it is unique (Since I haven't yet received any for other provinces I've done, I'm assuming the other provinces/territories will be different, because the loon was used on ours). I find the American souvenirs pretty boring - not really any artwork there, they're all basically the same.

However, I've got some German souvenirs, and up until last week they were each a beautiful, unique artistry... but now I see they've been turned into cookie cutouts like the American ones. So I'm really hoping Canada's stays the way they are.

Edited by hamgran

The Ontario souvenir is nice because it is unique (Since I haven't yet received any for other provinces I've done, I'm assuming the other provinces/territories will be different, because the loon was used on ours). I find the American souvenirs pretty boring - not really any artwork there, they're all basically the same.

However, I've got some German souvenirs, and up until last week they were each a beautiful, unique artistry... but now I see they've been turned into cookie cutouts like the American ones. So I'm really hoping Canada's stays the way they are.

I think the German ones are just getting a re-work. I recall seeing in the feedback forums that quite a number of Germans were upset with theirs

I find the American souvenirs pretty boring - not really any artwork there, they're all basically the same.

Not sure what you mean...each souvenir is a different image.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2010/11/geocaching-com-souvenirs/

I was disappointed to finally receive the Ontario souvenir, and saw that it focuses on Niagara Falls, but not surprised. Add the CN Tower, and it would have been the perfect stereotype that I imagined it was going to be.

Oh, well. Sure hope the Manitoba one is more interesting.

you need to click on each souvenir to see the underlying art work, in the profile you only see the generic cover

I was disappointed to finally receive the Ontario souvenir, and saw that it focuses on Niagara Falls, but not surprised. Add the CN Tower, and it would have been the perfect stereotype that I imagined it was going to be.

Oh, well. Sure hope the Manitoba one is more interesting.

Niagara Falls is what most people associate Ontario with

i personally like the choice they made, is one place i never get tired to visit, in fact just went last night, totally different in the winter

Edited by t4e

Don't know if you noticed but the US state souvenirs all have a button that says ?of 50. For instance Maine is 23 of 50.

Also there are 4 states that are classed as commonwealth but they are included in the 50 states so why not include the territories as part of Canada with each getting its own souvenir.

If you look at the New York state souvenir it also includes a large picture of Niagara Falls and 11 of 50

I think that the button in the corner looks better than the 1 of 13 across the bottom

i personally like the choice they made, is one place i never get tired to visit, in fact just went last night, totally different in the winter

Except people from WNY. We associate Ontario with beer and "ballet" <cough, cough>

Ontario looks good.

For Alberta, I'm guessing we'll see either Maligne Lake or Moraine Lake

220px-Spiritisland.jpg250px-Moraine_Lake-Banff_NP.JPG

as these seem to be our signature images.

(That Maligne Lake view on the left pops up around the world in the most unlikely places; for example I found a cafe in Morocco that was wallpapered with it.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Except people from WNY. We associate Ontario with beer and "ballet" <cough, cough>

you lot are just different :anitongue::laughing::anibad:

I also found a Souvenir from Ontario on my profile. I was just wondering what the criteria was for recieving one and is it the same for all other provinces?

Criteria for obtaining a souvenir for the Canadian provinces and territories are relatively simple: You need to have a logged find on a cache in that province or territory. There may be some exclusions (travelling caches, armchair virtuals, Locationless caches, etc.) but generally, one single find should do.

I imagine it will be similar criteria-wise once the next Canadian souvenirs are rolled out.

I also found a Souvenir from Ontario on my profile. I was just wondering what the criteria was for recieving one and is it the same for all other provinces?

Criteria for obtaining a souvenir for the Canadian provinces and territories are relatively simple: You need to have a logged find on a cache in that province or territory. There may be some exclusions (travelling caches, armchair virtuals, Locationless caches, etc.) but generally, one single find should do.

I imagine it will be similar criteria-wise once the next Canadian souvenirs are rolled out.

Thanks, we look forward to seeing other souviners soon.

Just got my Quebec (2 of 13) Souvenir. Very cool artwork. Our Canadian Souvenir's artwork rocks, especially compared to all the others! Yay Canada and yay Roxxy G. for designing them.

I particularly like the avalanche thundering down. Just like those real winter 5/5's.

Looks like the Canadian souvenirs are being rolled out in a similar fashion as the U.S. ones were...in chronological order of province/territory creation.

1867 - Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick

1870 - Manitoba, Northwest Territories

1871 - British Columbia

1873 - Prince Edward Island

1898 - Yukon

1905 - Saskatchewan, Alberta

1949 - Newfoundland (renamed Newfoundland and Labrador in 2001)

1999 - Nunavut

I particularly like the avalanche thundering down. Just like those real winter 5/5's.

I think it's a blizzard (or snow storm). We get very few avalanches in Québec (and there aren't a ton of caches in the Chic-Chocs and Torngat Mountains where they usually happen). The terrain on the souvenir looks too flat for an avalanche anyway :anitongue:

You are probably correct about the avalanche... snow is likely, although my first impression was that of ice fog rising from the pond/river in the front... doesn't look frozen solid to me... Like any art form it will always be interpreted from the experiences of the viewer... looks good though, waiting to see BC... wondering if Nunavut will get the polar bear in a blizzard cliché.

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

Have you noticed that the official bird of each province is at the top amongst the maple leafs?

Yup. ;)

Ontario - Loon

Quebec - Snowy Owl

Nova Scotia - Osprey

New Brunswick - Black-capped Chickadee

Manitoba - Great Gray Owl

Northwest Territories - Gyrfalcon

British Columbia - Steller's Jay

Prince Edward Island - Blue Jay

Yukon - Raven

Saskatchewan - Sharp-tailed Grouse

Alberta - Great Horned Owl