Dakota 10

I must be misunderstanding you because the found status & notes are kept in a separate file (geocache_visits.txt). Loading a new .gpx does nothing to this file.

You aren't misunderstanding me, you're misunderstanding how the Colorado/Oregon/Dakota/62 etc manage caches.

The geocache_visits.txt file is a simple textual record of your finds, not founds, and any notes you added. This file is appended to indefinitely unless/until you delete it.

However, that file has NOTHING to do with the list of found caches on the unit. You can delete the geocache_visits file, but it has NO impact on the found status of caches.

When you load a *.gpx file to any of the above units, they pull from those files certain essential data that is held in internal memory. There's a flag for each cache entry that is kept INTERNALLY regarding found/not-found status. The *.gpx file is NOT modified in any way due to a found/not-found log entry. Only the internal record keeping is modified.

When you load a new *.gpx file, the GPS recognizes this either due to name or difference in time/date stamp, and reloads all of the internal memory record keeping from the new *.gpx file(s). At that time, it also "forgets" any previously found caches, and does not display them in the "found" list.

I must be misunderstanding you because the found status & notes are kept in a separate file (geocache_visits.txt). Loading a new .gpx does nothing to this file.

the geocache_visits.txt file does not keep the found status, it only keeps the field notes. its presence and contents have no effect on how or which caches appear on the oregon.

Well this confuses me even more because I reload an update GPX file from a scheduled PQ every week and my Dakota 20 has never forgot my found list. I see it reloading the caches when first powering on with a new GPX file. I've even done a reset a couple times. It reset the number found to 0 but still retained the found list correctly.

Here's a few lines from my geocache_visits.txt. I don't mean to argue but given my experience and the field "Found it" it seems this file does keep track of found.

GC29P47,2010-09-30T19:35Z,Found it,""

GCNQC7,2010-09-30T19:41Z,Didn't find it,""

GC1FK6V,2010-09-30T19:53Z,Unattempted,""

GCP55R,2010-10-06T23:55Z,Found it,""

GC17FTX,2010-10-07T19:13Z,Found it,""

GC164Y7,2010-10-07T19:34Z,Didn't find it,""

GC164Y7,2010-10-07T19:37Z,Found it,""

Edit: You mentioned "finds" and "founds". Is there a difference that I don't understand that would clear all this up. They seem the same to me.

Edited by dreamarcher

Well this confuses me even more because I reload an update GPX file from a scheduled PQ every week and my Dakota 20 has never forgot my found list. I see it reloading the caches when first powering on with a new GPX file. I've even done a reset a couple times. It reset the number found to 0 but still retained the found list correctly.

Here's a few lines from my geocache_visits.txt. I don't mean to argue but given my experience and the field "Found it" it seems this file does keep track of found.

Edit: You mentioned "finds" and "founds". Is there a difference that I don't understand that would clear all this up. They seem the same to me.

Indeed, there is a difference. As I've already said, the geocache_visits.txt is simply a text log that gets all of your logging activity appended to it. It never goes away unless you delete it manually. That's NOT what the OP is dealing with.

If you fire up your Dakota (or similar), press the button for "Geocaches", then press the button for "Show Found", or review the map and see all of those open treasure boxes - THOSE are what the OP is talking about and trying to delete. Unless/until you fiddle the existing *.gpx file(s) on the unit, pressing "Show Found" will continue to show found caches forever, as will the map. You can't delete them singly or en masse from the front panel.

The basic data for each cache is being held internally in an area of memory you can't even see when the unit is plugged into a USB cable. That data, along with the found/not-found status flag, is retained until the associated *.gpx file disappears, often a function of a new one showing up (it check the time/date stamp if the filename is the same). At that time, the unit "forgets" all that it knew about previously found caches in that internal record keeping space (and this has nada to do with the geocache_visits.txt file), and when you press "Show Found", no caches will appear. Reloading files is the only way to make them go away.

{edit} FWIW, this question has been asked and answered at least two dozen times in this forum, and is fully documented in the Oregon Wiki that applies almost in whole to the Dakota units. http://garminoregon.....com/Geocaching See item GC9. The whole Wiki is a good resource, and is worth your time to read it through.

Edited by ecanderson