Thief!

No, I'm not talking about geocoin theives or even geocache theives.

Someone broke into my car a couple of nights ago and stole my GPSr (that's about all they took). They also got into my neighbors car and took a $5 gift card.

On the other hand, the thief left an LED headlamp (I don't he understood the concept of trade even, trade up) and tomorrows is my birthday and since I'll *need* a GPS for my trip to Costa Rica next month it looks like I'm in the market for a new GPS receiver. I'm tempted just to try and find someplace that still sells the discontinued Garmin GPSmap 60CSx at a cheap price but might consider this also as an opportunity to upgrade. Suggestions?

Someone broke into my car a couple of nights ago and stole my GPSr (that's about all they took). They also got into my neighbors car and took a $5 gift card.

On the other hand, the thief left an LED headlamp (I don't he understood the concept of trade even, trade up) and tomorrows is my birthday and since I'll *need* a GPS for my trip to Costa Rica next month it looks like I'm in the market for a new GPS receiver. I'm tempted just to try and find someplace that still sells the discontinued Garmin GPSmap 60CSx at a cheap price but might consider this also as an opportunity to upgrade. Suggestions?

The Garmin GPSmap 60CSx is still available at Amazon, for $199. Can't beat the price. I bought mine a few weeks ago, and just love it!!!

The Garmin GPSmap 60CSx is still available at Amazon, for $199. Can't beat the price. I bought mine a few weeks ago, and just love it!!!

Actually, I could have beat the price. About a week ago it was available for $169 at Amazon.

I was looking at the GPS Garage sale forum and saw a couple of other possibilities. Someone has an Oregon 450 (new) for $280 or so. Is it worth the difference?

Since you're a geocaching expert, a regular in these forums, and have clearly already done your pricing homework, I take your situation as nothing more than an opening to boast about your trip to Costa Rica. Sounds sweet, I've always wanted to visit there. Crossing the equator is actually one of my lifetime ambitions. Costa Rica isn't on the other side but darn close.

I was looking at the GPS Garage sale forum and saw a couple of other possibilities. Someone has an Oregon 450 (new) for $280 or so. Is it worth the difference?

I know people who own both the 60csx and the Oregon, and who prefer the 60csx even though it retails for less. Something about the chip set, and the bells and whistles on the Oregon not making up for that. Not saying that's a typical preference, but it's one man's (woman's, actually).

Since you're a geocaching expert, a regular in these forums, and have clearly already done your pricing homework, I take your situation as nothing more than an opening to boast about your trip to Costa Rica. Sounds sweet, I've always wanted to visit there. Crossing the equator is actually one of my lifetime ambitions. Costa Rica isn't on the other side but darn close.

My GPS was stolen. I'm in the market for a new one and since I've only actually owned one handheld GPS I'm looking for suggestions.

I really was planning on bringing my GPS receiver since I'm going to be doing quite a bit of driving between meetings and the two locations where I'll be vacationing. I've crossed the equator into the southern hemisphere twice and have been within 9 degrees to the north another time. The closest I've been to the equator on the ground was Nairobi, Kenya (S 01° 17.000) but was only there for about 30 minutes as I ran from gate-to-gate to get to a connecting flight on time.

My Oregon 400t didn't seem as accurate as my 60CSx at first, but then I discovered that you have to manaully opt in for WAAS/EGNOS sat correction. Once I did that, they seem to be a lot closer. I think the 60CSx is still slightly more accurate, but that only really seems to help if the hider bothered to average their coordinates.

What has really sold me on the Oregon 400t is paperless caching. It is much more convenient to have the whole cache description, previous logs, and, should I need it, hint, right there. Because of this, I haven't used our 60CSx in months.

My Oregon 400t didn't seem as accurate as my 60CSx at first, but then I discovered that you have to manaully opt in for WAAS/EGNOS sat correction. Once I did that, they seem to be a lot closer. I think the 60CSx is still slightly more accurate, but that only really seems to help if the hider bothered to average their coordinates.

What has really sold me on the Oregon 400t is paperless caching. It is much more convenient to have the whole cache description, previous logs, and, should I need it, hint, right there. Because of this, I haven't used our 60CSx in months.

Thanks. This is the kind of information I'm looking for. Do you know if the Oregon 450 models are just an upgrade from the Oregon 400 models. I assume that the "T" designator indicates that the device is preloaded with the Topo maps. I'm not too concerned about that as I have purchased the US Topo maps for my 76Cx and *assume* that I could use them on the Oregon.

I also have used my iPhone and the official geocaching app for paperless caching so that features is not quite as important. On the other hand, going paperless while traveling in another country is a bit problematic using a smart phone when data roaming is turned off. One of the features that I like about the Oregon series is the ability to copy gpx file directly to the device.

BTW, I see that you got your souvenirs back.

I'm not too concerned about that as I have purchased the US Topo maps for my 76Cx and *assume* that I could use them on the Oregon.

I also have used my iPhone and the official geocaching app for paperless caching so that features is not quite as important. On the other hand, going paperless while traveling in another country is a bit problematic using a smart phone when data roaming is turned off. One of the features that I like about the Oregon series is the ability to copy gpx file directly to the device.

Given your screen name and avatar you may regret not getting another 76 series if you can find it or the 78 series. Nothing like a unit that floats when you are on the water :lol:

Sorry you got robbed :sad:

Costa Rica: awesome mountain biking. Toughest I've ever done!

What about 450 vs 62s which one do you guys like better?

I still have time to shop around but, just looking at Amazon prices:

Garmin GPSMap 60CSx: $199

Garmin Oregon 450: $311

Garmin 62s: $389

As I said, someone in the GPS Garage sale forum has a new Oregon 450 for about $280 so that's pretty tempting, but given my upcoming travel expenses I'm not sure I want to pay $389 plus tax.

I'm not very good with understanding the hardware, but I think we have an Oregon 400 or 450 whatever. My MIL has a Garmin 60CSx or somesuch that we use sometimes. We got the Oregon because we white water raft and stuff, and because we like to Wherigo. But overall, we really like the 60CSx better, and kind of regret the Oregon. It's just such a pain to erase caches off of it, and it's not as accurate (smaller reasons, also, but those are the two main ones).

I always record the S/N to my property, I would check the local Pawn Shops.

+1. Except I'd file a police report and let them check the local pawn shops.

When my camera was stolen, I got a phone call from a nearby pawn shop. "Did you sell your camera? There's a guy in here trying to pawn it." Lucky for me, the thief tried to pawn it at the same pawn shop where I had pawned it before. I got my camera back, and he got a ride in the back of a police car.

+1. Except I'd file a police report and let them check the local pawn shops.

When my camera was stolen, I got a phone call from a nearby pawn shop. "Did you sell your camera? There's a guy in here trying to pawn it." Lucky for me, the thief tried to pawn it at the same pawn shop where I had pawned it before. I got my camera back, and he got a ride in the back of a police car.

Fortunately, I live in a small town and there is only one pawn shop. I do plan on filing a police report though since my next door neighbor also had his car broken into and he filed one. I just discovered that I also got hit this morning just before I came into work.

Like Hzoi, I own bot a 60CSx and an Oregon. (and a Colorado, but we won't go there)

While my 60 is more accurate than my Oregon, we're talking an effective difference of maybe a couple feet.

The paperless aspect of my Oregon, coupled with the Wherigo aspect, make that my GPSr of choice when caching.

I would like to have the Wherigo capabilities (although there are very few in my area) and the going paperless without incurring astronomical data roaming charges while in other countries would be nice. What's the issue with deleting waypoints on the Oregon?

I've had 7 GPS receivers, used a few others, tried the Blackberry and the iPhone, using a Magellan Meridian now - I want my 60CSx back.

It was by far the best.

I use the Meridian Platinum and think its easily the best ever ( I've got over 10 or so along with 3 Colors and 1 each of the rest of the Meridian line). Got the wife a 60 CSx over two years ago.....we've found a couple thousand caching side by side and I find the Platinum's are a bit better. Everyone who has cached with me wanted one ( a Platinum ) and most have bought one and are now using it.

What's the issue with deleting waypoints on the Oregon?

I wasn't aware that there was an issue? :unsure:

With the Oregon, caches are treated differently than waypoints.

To add caches, you plug the Oregon into your computer, and it shows as a separate drive.

Then you unzip your PQ, and click/drag it to the GPX file on your Oregon.

To delete caches, you plug in the device, open the GPX file and delete the PQ.

I store a bunch of waypoints in my Oregon, such as my hides, friend's houses, etc.

I maintain this file in Mapsource. I can delete all the waypoints with just a few taps on the screen.

I can restore them with just a few clicks of my mouse.

You can also store waypoints as custom POIs, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

You can also store waypoints as custom POIs, but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I do this on my Nuvi. Here's the instructions for that: http://geocaching.totaltechworld.com/

Requires GSAK and Garmin POI loader. Caches (even on the generally non-geocaching Nuvi) will show up as a little green ammo-can looking thingy. I don't know what the upper limit is, but I've had over 1800 loaded up at one time.

I currently own a GPSMap 60CSx as well as an Oregon 550t. I made the move from the 60CSx to a Colorado 400t and was disappointed with the accuracy. I was on the fence between them, though, as I loved the Colorado for its improved UI, paperless caching and added features like wireless exchange and Wherigo capability. Still, I was big on accuracy and the Colorado was notorious for "wandering" and failing to regain accuracy without a power cycle, so when I would go out on a bike ride or hike, I would take both with me and use the Colorado for caching and the 60CSx for trail recording.

I finally got fed up with the Colorado on my fourth one (I had two failures of the roller wheel and one that suddenly stopped turning on) and switched to the Oregon. I have loved it ever since. It never had the wandering issue of the Colorado (which I've believe was cleared up via firmware tweaks) and has had no problems gaining and maintaining lock. Also, when comparing trail recordings side-by-side, my Oregon was clearly able to match my 60CSx. This seems to have been confirmed by tests others have done, such as this one: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=19442.

Bottom line, I would recommend the Oregon over the 60CSx, especially given their relative places in their life cycles.

I've had the chance to use Oregons, the new 62 series, Dakotas, and Colorados, but never a 60CSX. That being said, the Oregons are my favorite. I do like the new 62 series, and they are a lot like the Oregons with a push button interface. But the touch screen is great, I've never had any problems with my 550t, and I wouldn't trade it either. That Oregon 450 for $280 would serve you well IMO.

I would like to have the Wherigo capabilities (although there are very few in my area) and the going paperless without incurring astronomical data roaming charges while in other countries would be nice. What's the issue with deleting waypoints on the Oregon?

For Wherigo, check out the iphone app, Pigo, although it might be affected by the limitations of the iphone's gpsr. And Geosphere is perfect for going paperless in other countries without incurring roaming charges, since it handles pqs beautifully (with lots of filtering options and a rich, html display for the individual caches). I use it even though I have had paperless units for quite some time.

I have always been more of a buttons person, so I chose the 62s when my Colorado gave up the ghost -- but I still have the 60csx around the house. I love the 62s, but it has a few quirks with the firmware and the design.

Edited by mulvaney

Bottom line, I would recommend the Oregon over the 60CSx, especially given their relative places in their life cycles.

I'm kinda leaning toward the Oregon 450. How easy is it to switch basemaps. I've got the US topo maps on DVD but also want to be able to use the routable OpenStreetMaps available on that free site. I've already tried on the 76Cx and they looked pretty good.

To add caches, you plug the Oregon into your computer, and it shows as a separate drive.

I store a bunch of waypoints in my Oregon, such as my hides, friend's houses, etc.

I maintain this file in Mapsource. I can delete all the waypoints with just a few taps on the screen.

I'm computer illiterate, so erasing the caches like that is giving me fits. I also like to erase things on the fly, and you can't with the Oregon. I don't understand why they made the gps this way, and it frustrates me.

started with a nuvi car gps, sure taught me to search

then got a 60csx, wow geocaching sure got quicker and easier-loved that unit

then on craigslist I saw a 62st brand new for sale for 230 bucks, with great skepticism

I went and checked it out. Yup brand new so I purchased. Then checked with local police to

ensure it was not stolen and all clear, whew.

Got it home and registered it with Garmin and all good there.

Learning curve coming from a 60 to the 62 was strange but I would not go back to the 'ol

trusty 60csx now. The 62 beats the Oregons by far. You can actually see the screen in bright daylight.

It really bites that your gizmo got stolen, I feel for you there.

I know how lost I would be without my GC TOTT.

Goodluck on your search for a new tool

I'm kinda leaning toward the Oregon 450. How easy is it to switch basemaps. I've got the US topo maps on DVD but also want to be able to use the routable OpenStreetMaps available on that free site. I've already tried on the 76Cx and they looked pretty good.

It's very easy: select the Setup menu, select Map, then select Map Information/Select Map and enable/disable individual mapsets as you see fit.

I'm computer illiterate, so erasing the caches like that is giving me fits. I also like to erase things on the fly, and you can't with the Oregon. I don't understand why they made the gps this way, and it frustrates me.

I am with you 110% on the deletion issue. It is absurd that you can't mark them as deleted. If you can mark them as found, then it is just a teensy leap of logic to allow them to be marked as deleted (ignored) and also undeleted. Why they haven't done that after all those firmware upgrades boggles my mind.

I realize I am off the thread a bit, but this is a strange coincidence.

I live in Iowa. I was in Austin, Texas for New Years. While I was there my car was robbed and at first I thought that the only things I thought I had lost were an LED headlamp and some change.

When I got home several days later, I realized that the thief had also taken my passport, but that is another story.

I am assuming you are from New York, but if you were in Austin for New Years, then perhaps there is a car thief running around taking things from one car and leaving them in another.

I didn't find any booty in my car though :(

Peace,

Irving

I realize I am off the thread a bit, but this is a strange coincidence.

I live in Iowa. I was in Austin, Texas for New Years. While I was there my car was robbed and at first I thought that the only things I thought I had lost were an LED headlamp and some change.

When I got home several days later, I realized that the thief had also taken my passport, but that is another story.

I am assuming you are from New York, but if you were in Austin for New Years, then perhaps there is a car thief running around taking things from one car and leaving them in another.

I didn't find any booty in my car though :(

Peace,

Irving

Sorry, I didn't find a replacement GPS in my car that might have been yours. As I said earlier, I don't think that the thief understands the concept of trade even, trade up. I'll be making a police report today and suspect that'll have to relinquish the LED lamp to them as evidence. I'm glad that I didn't have my passport in the gps bag I kept my GPS in because they emptied every pocket and when I travel I use that bag to carry my passport and wallet. I just got my passport back the other day with new visa pages added (I only had one blank page left) and it would have been costly to expedite another one.

Yes, the theft took place in my driveway in New York. I live in what I'd consider a pretty safe town in general (thus why neither my neighbor and I didn't lock the doors on our cars) and this is the first theft that I know of in my neighborhood where I've lived for 10 years.

I think I've got enough information now to make my choice. Thanks everyone for answering my questions. If the mods want to close this thread that's fine with me.

I am with you 110% on the deletion issue. It is absurd that you can't mark them as deleted. If you can mark them as found, then it is just a teensy leap of logic to allow them to be marked as deleted (ignored) and also undeleted. Why they haven't done that after all those firmware upgrades boggles my mind.

Eaxactly.