Combination lock on a cache

I'm planning on hiding our first puzzle cache this weekend and rather than encrypting the coordinates for the final location I'm thinking of putting a combination lock on the metal box and encrypting the code instead. I can't find any evidence of this being done around here - maybe there are good reasons for that - so thought I'd ask in here first. The location isn't too far away so we'd be checking it regularly for signs of the lock rusting up or labels deteriorating and the likes. Anything else to consider? I realise somebody happening upon a locked box might nick it so it would have to be very well placed. Thanks. S

There are some bicycle combo locks....bar locks and barrel locks that come to mind. Very simple to operate and would cause less potential confusion.

There is a cache here in east TN that is similar. While I haven't chased this one down yet, I didn't see anything in the logs to indicate that people were irritated by it or had problems.

Edited by JaxDog

Don't do the key attached to a TB. The TB ends up traveling out of the area and the cache becomes useless. Use one of the brass locks. Like this one.

Brass-Combination-Lock-110214-.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments. That is almost exactly the lock I intend to use except the one I have is a 3 figure combination. Looks like it's a goer.

Don't do the key attached to a TB. The TB ends up traveling out of the area and the cache becomes useless. Use one of the brass locks. Like this one.

Thanks for the positive comments. That is almost exactly the lock I intend to use except the one I have is a 3 figure combination. Looks like it's a goer.

I used a similar, brand name, lock on a cache. It did not hold up very well to New England weather.

I have 1 cache currently out that uses the standard dial combination lock where you have to do the "left, right, left". It has done very well with the elements here in Iowa. I have another cache planned that will be using the same type of lock.

I guess one thing what will matter is what type of place you will be putting it. If its in a location away from most of the elements, just about any loack will do.

One thing to keep in mind, no matter what kind of lock you get. If it's going to be exposed to the elements it will require fairly frequent lubrication, especially in winter, so I would not recommend placing it where you will have trouble keeping it maintained. OP indicates that is their plan, this is mostly for anyone else that is thinking along the same lines.

I like this kind of stuff, but I think it's worth keeping muggles in mind... Muggles will often treat a locked geocaching box very differently than a standard geocaching container - they seem to be more likely to be freaked out, or (going in a completely different and contradictory direction) also more likely to take it home to try to open it.

I'm in no way saying that you shouldn't do this - I think this kind of stuff is a lot of fun. Just keep in mind how it might change the muggle dynamic and think about how you might adjust for that. Maybe put more explanation / wording on the outside of the container to explain that the box is the culmination of an Internet puzzle that can be found at this address, something along those lines.

There used to be a cache near Kenosha that was one box and inside was an old USPS lock box. The kind with the combination lock. Just one problem that this dumbbell didn't realize. You had to hold that type of box vertically to get the pins to drop. I must have worked the combination for about 10 minutes before the light came on. I'm not blaming anyone, just sharing a funny situation.

I took one of those large, square, ornate mailboxes and mounted it backwards on an oak tree in front of my house....that way the lockable door faces you. I started with a lock like this but it didn't hold up so I went with a key lock and hid the key in a fake birdhouse on the same tree. It got muggled and I changed it back to a 3 number combo which has held up well and also made it Premium only....no more problems.

The cache's name is " Chief's I-10 Travel Bug Hotel".

The cache I have a combo lock on is kinda neat (I think).

Curse of the FTF #3

It's a puzzle cache that has you go to 63 residences/buildings that have caches at them that a person may or may not have done.

You have to get a specific number off the house/building number, and that coordinates to a number on the combination lock.

Soooooo, if you think about it, a newbie to the area can get 7 caches by just doing mine since it takes you to other caches already published.

Edited by The Weasel

There are some bicycle combo locks....bar locks and barrel locks that come to mind. Very simple to operate and would cause less potential confusion.

There is a cache here in east TN that is similar. While I haven't chased this one down yet, I didn't see anything in the logs to indicate that people were irritated by it or had problems.

I think that cache in question is a "front porch hide" and the combo is the house address. I still have that one on my "to do" list.

I've found a few locked caches, and I'm familiar with a couple others. As others have pointed out, make sure your lock can last in the environment where you're going to place it. Also, don't rely on the lock to keep the cache from being muggled. When people find an unlocked cache, they open it and figure out that it just contains cheap trinkets and are likely to ignore it after that. When people find a locked cache, their interest goes up a notch, and they assume it contains valuables.

One way to use a keyed padlock with TBs is to make multiple copies of the key, and to release multiple TBs, each with its own copy of the key. Anytime a TB disappears, release a copy of the TB with another copy of the key.

Another way is not to provide the key at all, and to rate the cache as 5 stars for the special equipment and skills required (lockpicks, and the ability to use them).

I'll also mention that it doesn't take that long to brute-force the combination for a simple 3-digit lock like a cheap bicycle lock or like this padlock:

31oD-vgwqsL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm planning on hiding our first puzzle cache this weekend and rather than encrypting the coordinates for the final location I'm thinking of putting a combination lock on the metal box and encrypting the code instead. I can't find any evidence of this being done around here - maybe there are good reasons for that - so thought I'd ask in here first. The location isn't too far away so we'd be checking it regularly for signs of the lock rusting up or labels deteriorating and the likes. Anything else to consider? I realise somebody happening upon a locked box might nick it so it would have to be very well placed. Thanks. S

Depending on the box, you could also secure it with a cable/chain & padlock. I have all my ammo can hides secured to something nearby with an appropriate chain or cable & a padlock (Both made for outdoor use).

I have thought about doing this with one of those "Store a key vaults" they are made for outdoor use, and require a combination. They are the ones realators use to hang around door knobs for homes they are selling. They run around $30. The part that goes around the door knob could easily fit around a smaller branch. Or you could use a chain/cable and use the "LOOP" as the padlock. As they would have to open the "Vault" to remove the chain/cable as well.

As far as I know, there are no GC rules or regulations that prevent you from doing this. So long as all geocachers are able to figure out the combination to retrieve the log.

TGC

There is a cache in this area that does have a padlock. It is one of those padlocks that uses words, not numbers as a combination. The cache in question is part of a puzzle cache, and the cache page directs you to a sign nearby. From that sign, you take the 3rd, 10th, etc. letter , and rearrange them to come up with the code! The padlock was on a red metal toolbox. When opened, it contained 50 or so film canisters, all of which contained little papers that said "Sorry, this isn't the one!" and none of which contained the coordinates to the final. I was rather confused, until I turned the toolbox over. Turns out I didn't even need to open it to get the coordinates!! :laughing: