I wish I knew about geocaching earlier.

Coldgears

There are so many trips I've taken that I could have gotten geocaches at. It still bugs me, I could have gotten a geocache about 250+ miles to Virginia beach. I took a 6 hour drive down there. I've been going through my pictures but I just can't find any that relate to any of the virtual's that are down there. It sucks, I want to log one. :(

Yep. I used to travel A LOT for work. Colorado Springs, DC, Dallas, NY, Chicago, Denver, Greenville, Reston, Madison, Atlanta. I finally got a position where I didn't have to travel and a month later I learn about geocaching.

It would have been so much more fun than sitting in a bar or my hotel room night after night.

There are so many trips I've taken that I could have gotten geocaches at. It still bugs me, I could have gotten a geocache about 250+ miles to Virginia beach. I took a 6 hour drive down there. I've been going through my pictures but I just can't find any that relate to any of the virtual's that are down there. It sucks, I want to log one. :(

Yes I've felt the same way. Took some great trips just before I started geocaching. I've always kept a bit of a record of my travels by country, state, and county so having caching maps that show the same type of data, but only for caching, makes me feel like I'm starting over.

Yep. I used to travel A LOT for work. Colorado Springs, DC, Dallas, NY, Chicago, Denver, Greenville, Reston, Madison, Atlanta. I finally got a position where I didn't have to travel and a month later I learn about geocaching.

It would have been so much more fun than sitting in a bar or my hotel room night after night.

In the past few years (since I've been geocaching) I've traveled far more than I did before geocaching but if I had started 5 years earlier there are a few places that I've traveled to where I would have liked to have found a geocache or two.

I used to do a lot of work with the USDA and have traveled to Washington DC several times in the past but not since I started geocaching.

I was in Mexico City for a week a few years before I started and would have loved to find a cache near the pyramids (about 10 minutes from where I was staying).

As I wrote in other thread I spent a few days in Chamonix (France), Genena (Switzerland), and Milan and would have liked to have found geocaches there.

I've been to Canada numerous times (four different provinces, including Newfoundland) but not since I started geocaching.

I very rarely travel, but my oldest daughter is wanting me to take her to Savannah (GA) for her high-school graduation gift if we can swing it financially. I'm already plotting the caches in the area....... ;-)

Savannah (GA) is so close the South Carolina it isn't even funny, I recommend spending 5 more minutes to get an extra state lit-up.

I very rarely travel, but my oldest daughter is wanting me to take her to Savannah (GA) for her high-school graduation gift if we can swing it financially. I'm already plotting the caches in the area....... ;-)

Savannah (GA) is so close the South Carolina it isn't even funny, I recommend spending 5 more minutes to get an extra state lit-up.

I'd also suggest driving 20 minutes and spending at least a day on Tybee Island.

I've always wished that I could have done the virtual at Tikal, but it was about a half year before we started caching, and the virt didn't even exist yet. :rolleyes: I guess if we were caching at the time, we could have owned a virt in Guatemala (and Belize). :laughing:

That's alright, I made a couple waymarks in Guatemala, and I still need to do some in Belize. B)

Yes one of my favorites was in a SC marsh within sight of Savannah.

I got my 76Cx (specifically to create maps of mtbiking trails) a week before we headed off to Patagonia for 2 weeks of mountain biking, hiking, and white water rafting. Cool, nice to see where you've been when you get home and download your tracks. Then I went online to look something up about the GPSr and I came across this thing called "geocaching" D'oh!!

While we have 3 continents, a dozen or so countries and 21 states cached, there are 25 states, 5 Canadian provinces, 21 countries and 3 other continents we visited before geocaching. Oh, well. Just have to go back :lol:

I got my 76Cx (specifically to create maps of mtbiking trails) a week before we headed off to Patagonia for 2 weeks of mountain biking, hiking, and white water rafting. Cool, nice to see where you've been when you get home and download your tracks. Then I went online to look something up about the GPSr and I came across this thing called "geocaching" D'oh!!

While we have 3 continents, a dozen or so countries and 21 states cached, there are 25 states, 5 Canadian provinces, 21 countries and 3 other continents we visited before geocaching. Oh, well. Just have to go back :lol:

I wish I visited as many states as that... I visited... 6... Cached in 4...

Edited by Coldgears

I can relate, besides all the many other states I've visited in my life (I think roughly 25-30), I was in San Francisco this past February for an entire week for work, and with plenty of time to explore. I discovered geocaching the very next week and have since looked over all the caches I went right over and missed.

Ugh tell me about it- I did a trip around the world that ended a few months before I got into geocaching and studied abroad in New Zealand even before that, so still feel bad about that... Looked in some places and noticed I do have the requirements to log the cache from when I was there etc on virtuals, and seriously considered logging 'em but decided against it. At the end of the day it is what it is to me, and it doesn't make those places any less impressive when I visited them!

I need to start counting all of the states I visited before I started caching at the end of 2003. Off hand I can say I need to re-visit at least 30 if I want to claim the honor of having a cache found in the state. Maybe I won't worry much about getting to this task anytime soon. :ph34r:

Well, if you call a wide river "so close it's not even funny", I suppose. I know this because Savannah is one of the places I've been to before Geocaching existed, and will likely never visit again. Augusta too. :)

Well, if you call a wide river "so close it's not even funny", I suppose. I know this because Savannah is one of the places I've been to before Geocaching existed, and will likely never visit again. Augusta too. :)

There's a bridge :)

This subject has come up a few times over the years, and I do indeed remember BD's unfortunate situation. It sucks to be BD. :lol:

I too had a situation where I traveled extensively for "work", that is gone forever; The Army Reserve, from which I retired in late 2004. Now if we're talking only since Geocaching existed, all I missed out on were more trips to, and more caches in, Watertown NY, Rochester NY, Scranton PA, and Newport RI. Before Geocaching existed, the Army took me to some pretty cool places it would have been awesome to find caches in such as Lawton OK (Wichita Mountains NWR), El Paso TX, and multiple trips to Devils Lake ND, where a 40 mile drive would have also yielded Manitoba caches. Not much you can do about it, I suppose. :)

Several actually. In both Cities. :lol:

My problem is that I had heard of geocaching early on, around 2000 or 2001, and I just didn't think it was for me. Didn't get into it until 2007, when my bride suggested it. We were living in Europe and hadn't visited too many contries yet, so I was able to take full advantage of being over there before we left, but had I started caching earlier, I would have had caches in Kuwait, Iraq, and Afghanistan. I've mentioned before in the forums that I was less than 100 feet from the oldest cache in Iraq back in 2005. But who knows, I may still have the dubious "opportunity" to go caching in theater again, though; ten years is a long time until retirement.

Tell me about it. We lived in Fairbanks, Alaska for four years... and it KILLS me to think we could have been caching all that time. *sigh* We did get out and see some pretty amazing sights during our time up there, but I keep thinking of all the amazing places that were probably right under noses but not in the guidebooks. That is my favorite thing about caching, fiding those hidden gems. Oh well, I suppose I should be glad that we got into the game at all!

Yeah, I feel the same way. I wish I had known about geocaching when I visited the north pole, the south pole the following year, while I was in Nepal, Austrailia, and even when I was aboard the ISS. dadgum, the cache finds I could talk about. :unsure:

Weisenheimer. Besides, apparently sending a picture of yourself to the ISS with an astronaut, and having him take a picture of it on board, is good enough to log that cache. :o

i was pretty lucky. Within a few months after I discovered geocaching, I started doing 13 week travel contracts so I got to go to a new caching location every few months. I actually took a contract in AZ partly so that I could drive through Mingo, KS.

Now that I'm in a stable job, I still get to go to at least one professional conference every year, and I choose based mostly on the caching potential.

I've visited every state except ND, and I plan to remedy that when I go to a conference in Duluth this May, picking up four new geocaching states (MN, WI, ND, SD). BTW, I introducecd my sister and brother-in-law, who are full time RV'ers, to geocaching and they have found caches in all 50 states and Canada and Mexico. I SO want to do that!

And no-see-ums :(

I suppose I'm a little saddened by some of the bad-a** caches I've looked at on the website that are in Germany, not too far from where I lived for three years. I would have liked to have seen them because they are neat containers and hides in-and-of themselves, but I still enjoyed the places that I visited without having an ammo container waiting for me.

I've visited all the states but Hawaii, and I've cached in 25 of them. My husband has visited all the states but Hawaii and Alaska. We have a bit of a competition on who will complete all the states first. Depends on if we visit Hawaii, or Alaska next. :ph34r:

My wife and I have visited 47 states (all but Hawaii, North dakota, and Iowa) and have cached in AK, MI, NJ, PA, DE, OH, and LA. We'd have done a lot more, but just discovered caching a few years ago.