Souvenirs

PATS4X4

I originally thought the 'souvenir' idea was neat but now I see profiles where you have to scroll through several screens of just souvenirs showing states where someone has found a cache. I find the map of the US/Europe much faster and easier to review to see where I have geocached, or where someone else has cached. Does anyone else out there feel that souvenirs should be reserved for something special, such as finding the first cache, visiting the geocaching home, Delorme Challenge completions, APE caches, etc? At the minimum we should be able to opt out of the State Souvenirs so our profile isn't full of icons we don't really want or need.

Souvenirs are one thing, but the way they do them with the German provinces and US States (and probably Canadian Providences and Territories some day) are space clutter. Have a US, Canada or Germany map that has each state and shows up in a nice color when you have achieved the state. That way, it is just the 1 map vs 53 (assuming Virgin Islands, District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico will get one) US states and principalities.

I was on the fence with souvenirs at first, but with the state clutter, my enthusiasm has waned.

I originally thought the 'souvenir' idea was neat but now I see profiles where you have to scroll through several screens of just souvenirs showing states where someone has found a cache. I find the map of the US/Europe much faster and easier to review to see where I have geocached, or where someone else has cached. Does anyone else out there feel that souvenirs should be reserved for something special, such as finding the first cache, visiting the geocaching home, Delorme Challenge completions, APE caches, etc? At the minimum we should be able to opt out of the State Souvenirs so our profile isn't full of icons we don't really want or need.

It says APE Cache, but only one counts. The rest are relegated to diddly-squat.

Yeah, I've got three veneers for states that I've never cached in (There was a fourth, but they stole that one...) One wonders... Just let them clutter in their own tab, and use a profile map to show where you've been. (Hey! I've got Canada colored in there!!)

It says APE Cache, but only one counts. The rest are relegated to diddly-squat.

Yeah, I've got three veneers for states that I've never cached in (There was a fourth, but they stole that one...) One wonders... Just let them clutter in their own tab, and use a profile map to show where you've been. (Hey! I've got Canada colored in there!!)

The reason that you've got veeners for states you've "never cached in" has been explained to you numerous times by different people. Have you reported those caches so they can be added to the exception list?

Edited by Castle Mischief

Back on topic...

I have to agree that, in comparison to say the trackable page, once all 50 state veeners get released it's going to be a pretty congested tab on the profile page. Maybe Groundspeak could consider re-sizing the preview image to something a little more size-conscious like the trackable icons, or maybe something in the middle?

Sorry, but (like the favorites system) you (and the rest of us) are stuck with them.

Somewhere back then someone (or a group of someones) asked for something resembling the souvi system, and TPTB created what we now have.

Just like the favorites system, Groundspeak knows what is best for us and we should be happy with what we are given whether we like it or not.

You must obey the frog, and enjoy your souvis at least once a week.

You may not choose to opt out.

At least the souvis are relegated to their own tab on your profile page, and not blazoned across every page on the site.

EDITED: for speeling

Edited by AZcachemeister

Sorry, but (like the favorites system) you (and the rest of us) are stuck with them.

Somewhere back then someone (or a group of someones) asked for something resembling the souvi system, and TPTB created what we now have.

Just like the favorites system, Groundspeak knows what is best for us and we should be happy with what we are given whether we like it or not.

At least the souvis are relegated to their own tab on your profile page, and not blazoned across every page on the site.

And remember folks, only you are responsible for your enjoyment or lack thereof.

I'd love a way to remove Souvenirs...

I have one from a state that I've never even visited. The cache that qualified me for it was a Locationless. :lol:

You're welcome. Somebody suggested "souvi" but that didn't stick.

Yes there are problems. You can report them (somewhere... I think moun10bike was collecting an exception list) and then your souvenirs will be location accurate.

i'm not sure I get it... On my page the souvenirs are listed on a separate tab that takes up nearly zero space and shows only if someone is curious enough to click on it. If they don't want to page through them they certainly have a choice not to. On the other hand some people have added pages and pages of personal statistics that open up on their front page that take up lots of room.. but again no one has to look at them unless they want to. Where's the problem here?

note.. after all the states are issued it will take up about 8 rows of icons... maybe two pages? :blink:

Edited by edscott

Speaking from my own experience I don't remember anyone asking for anything resembling the souvenir system. I'm not saying that I think they're bad or anything like that - I'm staying agnostic on that topic. I'm just saying, I read a lot of forum posts, and can remember people asking for a lot of stuff. But I can't seem to recall any threads from people asking for something like this, at least publicly.

I've been operating under the impression that the idea came from HQ. Did I miss something along the way (entirely possible)?

I have one from a state that I've never even visited. The cache that qualified me for it was a Locationless. :lol:

I got one of these as well. Was it the "yellow jeep" locationaless cache? :)

I would like to see a couple of souvenirs...

1) 81 diff/Terr grid filled

2) Day Filler grid filled

I got one of these as well. Was it the "yellow jeep" locationaless cache? :)

I would like to see a couple of souvenirs...

1) 81 diff/Terr grid filled

2) Day Filler grid filled

I thought I read something in the Feedback site from one of the lackeys that the were not going to do any souvenirs based on "stats" but I see that milestone souvenirs (100, 1000 finds), and a 5/5 caches are being considered. Part of the problem is that these would be pretty difficult to implement. Everytime you logged a cache it would have to go through your entire finds list to check the diff/terrain rating or find date and build a grid (or a copy of the grid would have to be kept every users profile) then check if it was complete.

I thought I read something in the Feedback site from one of the lackeys that the were not going to do any souvenirs based on "stats" but I see that milestone souvenirs (100, 1000 finds), and a 5/5 caches are being considered. Part of the problem is that these would be pretty difficult to implement. Everytime you logged a cache it would have to go through your entire finds list to check the diff/terrain rating or find date and build a grid (or a copy of the grid would have to be kept every users profile) then check if it was complete.

They could just run it along with whenever / however they're recompiling the stats tab. That work is already being done every ~24 hours or so; it's just a trivial check at the end to see if the grid is completely filled out.

The reason that you've got veeners for states you've "never cached in" has been explained to you numerous times by different people. Have you reported those caches so they can be added to the exception list?

Yes, SIR! Ignoring the hyperbole of 'numerous times by different people' (twice does not seem so hyperbolic...), the archived moving cache tht died in California was added here Reply to Moun10Bike on January 3, per Moun10Bike's suggestion. It is still listed as my furthest find. When that is cleared up, I'll mention the travelling cache in Oregon, and the Virtual in Missouri. And no one has mentioned 'numerous time' much less once, that there are some Virtuals that can be logged other than at their location.

Just adding my 2 cents worth about these souvis ---I have received several, yes, even in states we've never geocached in. I'm wondering just what their value might be. Burt and I geocache for fun,testing only our own 'caching skills; we are not among the "competitive" 'cachers, who collect their smilies like notches on a gun, or badges of honor! Judging by the comments I've been reading, not many of us value these souveniers----so why are they still coming to my e-mail?

Just adding my 2 cents worth about these souvis ---I have received several, yes, even in states we've never geocached in. I'm wondering just what their value might be. Burt and I geocache for fun,testing only our own 'caching skills; we are not among the "competitive" 'cachers, who collect their smilies like notches on a gun, or badges of honor! Judging by the comments I've been reading, not many of us value these souveniers----so why are they still coming to my e-mail?

You can trade them in for a lower credit card APY, just like you can get your interest rate lowered on your mortgage by turning in 1,000 smilies. :unsure::ph34r:<_< humm, maybe that is just for me.

Actually they are just pretties for your profile.

And remember folks, only you are responsible for your enjoyment or lack thereof.

Just wait, eventually some future change to the site will bug you too. :yikes:

But of course, you are like the reed that bends when the flood comes, and stands upright again when it has passed. :tongue:

Yes, SIR! Ignoring the hyperbole of 'numerous times by different people' (twice does not seem so hyperbolic...), the archived moving cache tht died in California was added here Reply to Moun10Bike on January 3, per Moun10Bike's suggestion. It is still listed as my furthest find. When that is cleared up, I'll mention the travelling cache in Oregon, and the Virtual in Missouri. And no one has mentioned 'numerous time' much less once, that there are some Virtuals that can be logged other than at their location.

So you know why there's a problem and instead of reporting the problems and trying to get them fixed you're hanging onto them as a reason to complain. Is that it?

Just wait, eventually some future change to the site will bug you too. :yikes:

But of course, you are like the reed that bends when the flood comes, and stands upright again when it has passed. :tongue:

I try and limit my complaints to things that either I think might affect caching on the whole or my caching experience in particular. I don't see a need to complain about some nice little pictures on a tab of my profile that I never have to click and does not change how I cache one little iota.

So you know why there's a problem and instead of reporting the problems and trying to get them fixed you're hanging onto them as a reason to complain. Is that it?

Yes, SIR! Frankly, even with your bizarre hyperbole, I have no idea of what you are speaking! I think that I have mentioned twice that I have veneers for states that I have not cached in. Why you should go out on such a limb to complain about that, I have no idea! Even before your orders, I have mentioned one to the proper authorities. Nothing has been done about that. That does not make this a complaint about those veneers, but rather about your frivolous interpretations and rather heavy-handed responses.

Wanna trade a a Missouri for a Louisiana?

Is there a way to refuse souvenirs?

I mean, to have the option not to show them at all in my profile, as i can choose not to discover trackables?

For me, geocaching is to go out and enjoy nature and/or places that i wouldn't knew without a cache...

I mean, to have the option not to show them at all in my profile, as i can choose not to discover trackables?

AFAIK there is not currently. At one point a Groundspeak employee mentioned that opting out would be available in the future, but I have heard nothing further on that count.

There is a privacy setting for the statistics tab, but there is not one available for the other tabs. (I'm aware that this is slightly different from what you asked about.)

For me, geocaching is to go out and enjoy nature and/or places that i wouldn't knew without a cache...

How does the Souvenir tab change that?

Wouldn't it just make more sense for Groundspeak to exclude ALL locationless caches when awarding state souvenirs? Either that or use the coordinates we posted with our logs rather than those on the top of the cache page.

Yes, SIR! Frankly, even with your bizarre hyperbole, I have no idea of what you are speaking! I think that I have mentioned twice that I have veneers for states that I have not cached in. Why you should go out on such a limb to complain about that, I have no idea! Even before your orders, I have mentioned one to the proper authorities. Nothing has been done about that. That does not make this a complaint about those veneers, but rather about your frivolous interpretations and rather heavy-handed responses.

Wanna trade a a Missouri for a Louisiana?

No, but I'll trade you hyperbole for your bizarre insistence on responding with "SIR" and insisting that my questions are somehow "orders".

I'll give you that twice (while technically being more than once) may not qualify for "numerous" in some books, but you're really trying to respond in a way that makes it seem like I'm barking out commands to you, which clearly I'm not. Your response is, a little over-the-top, a little hyperbolic, if you will.

Wouldn't it just make more sense for Groundspeak to exclude ALL locationless caches when awarding state souvenirs? Either that or use the coordinates we posted with our logs rather than those on the top of the cache page.

I agree, but I don't know if there's a way to identify all the locationless caches en masse.

Not much, in fact. I just like to have the freedom to opt.

I don't like the vanity fair that geocaching is turning into and i would like to keep it as much as possible as i found it for the first time...

No problem. I think i can ignore that tab. ;-)

Not much, in fact. I just like to have the freedom to opt.

I don't like the vanity fair that geocaching is turning into and i would like to keep it as much as possible as i found it for the first time...

No problem. I think i can ignore that tab. ;-)

Here's how I see it. One of the things you'll often see in the forums is the suggestion that if there is type of geocache that you don't care for, "you don't have to find every cache". By the same token, when using the geocaching.com website, you don't have to click on every link.

I agree, but I don't know if there's a way to identify all the locationless caches en masse.

Locationless caches are being excluded when awarding souvenirs (only the first batch released failed to account for them). It's the traveling caches and others with odd "log this even if you weren't at the displayed location" caches that are affecting things for souvenirs.

It's the traveling caches and others with odd "log this even if you weren't at the displayed location" caches that are affecting things for souvenirs.

Thanks. I'll list for you the three have awarded me veneers for states that I have not cached in:

Red Ryder

STOP AND GO,GO,GO, 3

Population Center - Bull's Eye

All great caches!!!!

I've got all of those on the list, but the souvenirs folk have come around to using the list yet. Let me know what souvenirs you have that are incorrect (I could guess from these but I might make a mistake, especially if the traveling ones have moved on) and I'll purge them from your profile.

It's the traveling caches and others with odd "log this even if you weren't at the displayed location" caches that are affecting things for souvenirs.

Thanks. I'll list for you the three have awarded me veneers for states that I have not cached in:

Red Ryder

STOP AND GO,GO,GO, 3

All great caches!!!!

I may be ignorant here, but how do you know which cache rewards you a souvenier, especially if it's a cache you didn't find?

Locationless caches are being excluded when awarding souvenirs (only the first batch released failed to account for them). It's the traveling caches and others with odd "log this even if you weren't at the displayed location" caches that are affecting things for souvenirs.

So how do I figure out which cache gave me a bogus souvenir? I haven't even been to Georgia, let alone cached there, but I have the Georgia souvenir.

So how do I figure out which cache gave me a bogus souvenir? I haven't even been to Georgia, let alone cached there, but I have the Georgia souvenir.

Import your My Finds PQ into GSAK, display the state column and then run the Counties macro. It will fill in the states for all your caches. Sort by states and look for the bogus one. If you are confused by any of this, the GASK forum has what is probably the best support around. They can give you very detailed instructions.

Import your My Finds PQ into GSAK, display the state column and then run the Counties macro. It will fill in the states for all your caches. Sort by states and look for the bogus one. If you are confused by any of this, the GASK forum has what is probably the best support around. They can give you very detailed instructions.

I am a GSAK user so this will be pretty easy for me. What about those that don't use it?

I am a GSAK user so this will be pretty easy for me. What about those that don't use it?

Run the My Finds PQ and save results as a file on your computer somewhere. Unzip the file to get the .gpx file of all your finds. Open up the gpx file in a text editor with search capabilities. Each cache will contain an element like the following:

<Groundspeak:state>New York</Groundspeak:state>

Use the search function on the text editor that you're using to find the name of the state for which you were incorrectly awarded a souvenir. Scroll up until you see the <name> and <description> elements. That'll show the GC number and name of the cache.

Run the My Finds PQ and save results as a file on your computer somewhere. Unzip the file to get the .gpx file of all your finds. Open up the gpx file in a text editor with search capabilities. Each cache will contain an element like the following:

<Groundspeak:state>New York</Groundspeak:state>

Use the search function on the text editor that you're using to find the name of the state for which you were incorrectly awarded a souvenir. Scroll up until you see the <name> and <description> elements. That'll show the GC number and name of the cache.

Thanks, that was even easier than putting it in GSAK. The offending cache was GCC6B, Mtn-Man's traveling cache. I emailed Moun10Bike to have it removed from my souvenir eligibility.

Some day I'll get to Georgia rather than have part of it come to me.

Red Ryder

STOP AND GO,GO,GO, 3

All great caches!!!!

I may be ignorant here, but how do you know which cache rewards you a souvenier, especially if it's a cache you didn't find?

Who said that I didn't find the caches??? Two were moving caches that I found in New Jersey or New York. One is archived in Californa, the other is currently in Oregon. Those are the states they are listed in, and therefore the states for which I got the souvenir. The other is the Center of Population Virtual. You may also log the center of population for a state. I logged the center of population for New York.

One of the moving caches was easy to figure out, since it still appears as my furthest found cache on statistics. Suspecting that the one in Oregon was also a moving cache, I checked all my Unknown Cache finds, and discovered the one in Oregon. Not finding the one in Missouri there, I checked my Virtual caches. That's where I found the one in Missouri.

Thanks, Moun10Bike for your assistance