2011 Short Notice Hikes

Criminal

The road in to the Tunnel Creek trailhead is currently blocked by a HUGE rock that has rolled onto the roadway. The Quilcene Rangers are saying it will be mid June at the earliest before they can clear the road. They said the rock was too big to move by conventional means, and they're looking for someone to blast it off the roadway with explosives. In the meantime, if you want to hike the Tunnel Creek Trail you'll need to add four miles to the round trip.

I took a ride out there after work tonight to see the rock too big to move by conventional means.

Rock.pngThis it the view from the approach.

RockBack.pngThe uphill side.

Rock2a.pngMe in the rubble.

Rock1a.pngMe in the rubble zoomed.

RockPush.pngHey, I tried.

Rock6.pngView from the top of the rock. The white Ford Escape Hybrid is a Forest Service truck. I didn't see anyone around though.

Rock3.pngI need a lift kit...

Rock5.png

MeRock.png

So anyway, I was thinking that this would be a perfect time to go hike the Tunnel Creek Trail. It's a short hike and below the snow. What about the extra four miles? Mountain Bike! I can pedal two miles uphill and coast two miles back. The good thing is that there will be very few, if any people on the trail due to the road being blocked.

I'll go up on Saturday, time TBD.

Edited by Criminal

The road in to the Tunnel Creek trailhead is currently blocked by a HUGE rock that has rolled onto the roadway. The Quilcene Rangers are saying it will be mid June at the earliest before they can clear the road. They said the rock was too big to move by conventional means, and they're looking for someone to blast it off the roadway with explosives. In the meantime, if you want to hike the Tunnel Creek Trail you'll need to add four miles to the round trip.

I took a ride out there after work tonight to see the rock too big to move by conventional means.

Rock.pngThis it the view from the approach.

RockBack.pngThe uphill side.

Rock2a.pngMe in the rubble.

Rock1a.pngMe in the rubble zoomed.

RockPush.pngHey, I tried.

Rock6.pngView from the top of the rock. The white Ford Escape Hybrid is a Forest Service truck. I didn't see anyone around though.

Rock3.pngI need a lift kit...

Rock5.png

MeRock.png

So anyway, I was thinking that this would be a perfect time to go hike the Tunnel Creek Trail. It's a short hike and below the snow. What about the extra four miles? Mountain Bike! I can pedal two miles uphill and coast two miles back. The good thing is that there will be very few, if any people on the trail due to the road being blocked.

I'll go up on Saturday, time TBD.

A spot of C4 will take care of that right quick!

We can't pass up this good weather! We gotta hike!

On Saturday we are going to do the hike up to Shaw Lake (GC26DXX) near Gold Bar. 6.5 mile RT with 1600 feet elevation gain.

Then, if we feel up to it, we will drive a few miles further down HWY 2 to the Heybrook Lookout hike (GCKXWC) This one is a 2.2 mile RT with 800 feet of elevation gain and a great view.

We'll start hiking to Shaw Lake at 9AM if anyone else wants to go on one of these hikes.

I'll be doing something in the Olympics on Saturday; looking at Deer Ridge, Jefferson Ridge, Duckabush to the river (down the far side past the Hump) or maybe just wander up the Big Quilcene. No set time unless someone chimes in.

Edited by Criminal

On Saturday we are going to do the hike up to Shaw Lake (GC26DXX) near Gold Bar. 6.5 mile RT with 1600 feet elevation gain.

Then, if we feel up to it, we will drive a few miles further down HWY 2 to the Heybrook Lookout hike (GCKXWC) This one is a 2.2 mile RT with 800 feet of elevation gain and a great view.

We'll start hiking to Shaw Lake at 9AM if anyone else wants to go on one of these hikes.

I might just be up for this depending on my legs feel later tonight / tomorrow morning.

Meet time is 0830 at the Barnes & Noble. I'm thinking Lake of Angles via the Putvin Trail #813.

In! I can be there as early as 6:30am if you want to hit the road earlier.

Then let's make it 0730 then. It should be a pretty rough hike. I was going to pack my fishing rod but I think the lake is likely to still be mostly frozen at that elevation, so I'll call this a recon of the way-trail for the next time. :D

I might just be up for this depending on my legs feel later tonight / tomorrow morning.

The abused legs feeling pretty good so I'll be there.

Criminal's hike looks just a bit more than I want to do a day ofter Mt. Si.

I pulled the little VX-8DR radio out of my pack and screwed the antenna on top. I was able, deep in this basin, to trigger several repeaters in the Seattle area. Maggie, still wet behind the ears after acing her ham radio exam only a few weeks ago, was able to make contact with one of the hams on Vashon Island. He reported her signal was weak, but he was able to make out what she was saying well enough. Western Washington has a really great repeater network. By the way, we had absolutely no cell coverage anywhere along the trail or in the basin.

Full TR and pictures here.

PutvinMarker2.png

MaggieRock.png

Peak.png

WestPeak.png

WHFallsMag.png

Wow, a really fantastic day to be in the woods (after a truly miserable spring), two convenient hike locations, and only four takers?

Take pictures guys!

I would have liked to be there with you on this one. But i am still dealing with many things pertaining to my dad's death. This summer sucks already and it doesn't look like I will have a free weekend till some time in July.

It's starting already. There's just no way I'm going to listen to every a**hat and his brother lighting fireworks into the wee hours of the morning for the entire weekend. I need some place quiet.

I'm currently leaning strongly towards heading in to Lake 3995 in the Wonder Mountain Wilderness on Saturday morning and coming out on Monday. It's not set in stone, but that's the one on the top of the list. I'll post a radio plan tomorrow as soon as I make up my mind.

This will not be the only trip in, I intend to return in late August or September when the blueberries are ripe.

Here's the radio plan:

Having been up here before, I doubt seriously I will have any coverage to the north, south, or west. I’ll call out at 1800 on various repeaters to the east (so, almost all of them) until I can get at least a handshake.

I will start with the closest repeater, the Belfair one on 145.170 (PL=103.5)

If no joy, I will try the Bremerton 146.620 (PL=103.5)

After that I’ll just go through everything in the radio until I get an answer. If your radio has a scan feature, you can scan the 2 meter and 70 cm bands. I will also be trying the few repeaters on 50MHz and 222, but I have little hope I'll find anything usable on those.

2008 Trip

2009 Trip

Edited by Criminal

What an adventure Crim, glad you are home OK. Anyone else, less wood-wise than you might still be up there. 73 Dick

+1. Glad you are safe, pretty scary adventure, but you gots the skillz. B) And that Klone Lake story gets better every time you tell it. :lol:

I'm planning on hiking the Deer Ridge Trail tomorrow morning (Saturday 7/9) if anyone is interested in joining me. Afterwards I'm going to head up to Hurricane Ridge to bag my 1,000th cache (W7WT's High on a Windy Hill GC9C5F). Give me a shout if you're interested in joining me.

Watch out for the goats and don't urinate on the trail (the salt attracts the goats). Enjoy the trip and I am impressed that my virtual will be your 1,000th cache. 88 Dick, W7WT

Edited by W7WT

Ok, short notice, and not even a hike.

Tomorrow Sunday the 10th I am going to drive up to Index-Galina road and take a look around the area where the washout is. Then I plan on driving around to Jacks Pass and see how far I get.

I am looking to get back to the Silver Creek area and am just going to scout around and enjoy myself and grab a few caches.

Anyone wanting to carpool or caravan, let me know. I am planning on leaving the Monroe area around 8 am.

I was actually feeling sick today so I went ahead and came in to the office.

The plan now is for some Friday hooky. I'm thinking if I can get up early enough I might drive around to do Col Bob and/or Mt O'Neil. If I get up later I'll maybe do Marmot Pass or Tunnel Creek, or if I get up really late I'll do Zion. Maggie mentioned she might be interested, anyone else?

Tomorrow morning 0900 at the Barnes & Noble. I'm not feeling very ambitious so I think we'll aim for Mt. Zion. I will have the radio and the Slim-Jim antenna, so I'll be looking to make a few contacts on simplex and some of the repeaters. There's a cache up there if that's an enticement. :anibad:

Edited by Criminal

I have some make up yard work plus my daughter's B-day party to do to accomodate my lack of industriousness last week and then the HOTM is next week. I'll also probably find myself at the Block Party, but I'll have my radio going in event we can make contact.

Btw, I attempted to hit Bremerton from Colchuck Lake, but I didn't have the radio with me when climbing Aasgard Pass. I attempted to go as light as possible to make the ascent all the way to the top. No luck.

We left the B&N just after 9am, made the trailhead at 10, and the summit at 1230. We spent some time on top with the radios. I got the SlimJim about 30' up a tree and was easily hitting repeaters and making contacts. We then hiked north along the knife-edge ridge to a spot with spectacular views of Mt. Townsend to the west and Baker way out to the east. We took only 50 minutes to unclimb the mountain. The weather was absolutely perfect with full sun and a cool breeze. I'll post up pictures later.

The tentative plan is to hike Col Bob and/or Mt O'Neil via the Pete's Creek Trail on Saturday morning the 10th of September. The rub is it’ll be early Saturday morning as I intend to drive in Friday night and camp at the trailhead to alleviate the misery of driving for three hours in the wee morning hours. It’s tentative because of my flight time on Sunday the 11th. If I have to fly out early on Sunday I may scrap the whole plan, but right now that’s not very likely.

Edited by Criminal

The hiking season is fast drawing to a close, and the weather is so far looking decent for this weekend. TL has a new jeep, but also a new injury so I haven't heard any HOM plans.

Last week the rooftop tent install took a little longer than I expected, which isn't unusual since everything does, but the new plan is to head down this Saturday night, car camp at the trailhead, and hike the Pete's Creek Trail to either Col Bob (if anyone needs that cache) or Mt O'Neil starting early on Sunday morning. If there's any interest I'll post up some firm times, if not I'll post up some pictures afterward.

Hamma02.png

Hamma05.png

I've been watching that. I managed to rearrange things and here's the NEW IMPROVED plan.

Drive in on FRIDAY evening, then, if we are not killed by falling space debris, head up the Pete's Creek Trail early on SATURDAY morning. I'm going to wag 0730 to 8 as a departure time, but the earlier the better.

We may end up with a light show out of it on Friday night.

If anyone would like to come but doesn't want to car-camp at the trailhead, feel free to meet us early or just show up and start hiking whenever you arrive.

Okay we are in but we will drive up in the wee hours of Saturday morning to start hiking at the TH at 8AM.

I take it the correct TH is the coords you have on your cache, GCK3AN -- A Salute to Col Bob?

We are excited about this hike! We think we're about the only hikers in WA who haven't been up Col. Bob.

Okay we are in but we will drive up in the wee hours of Saturday morning to start hiking at the TH at 8AM.

I take it the correct TH is the coords you have on your cache, GCK3AN -- A Salute to Col Bob?

We are excited about this hike! We think we're about the only hikers in WA who haven't been up Col. Bob.

No, you're not the only ones. But I may be. Y'all have fun!

You and me both, Abby, and I can't make it on Saturday, either. Keep me in mind if you decide to do this hike this fall! Have fun, guys!

So, what's your excuse? :ph34r:

See everyone down there. I'll have the radio on.