2011 Short Notice Hikes

Criminal

If one hike a month isn't enough for you, or if you miss any of the monthly planned hikes, I'll post my last minute short (or no) notice plans here. Of course, anyone else with short notice plans are free to post them here as well.

Anyway, I'm looking at hiking/snowshoeing in to the Tunnel Creek shelter either on Sunday the 16th or Monday the 17th. The trailhead is only 2600' so the Jeep should be able to make it. The shelter is a little less than three miles in and at 3700'. It's an easy grade, so not too steep. If energy and time permit, I may try to make the ridge top, but it's a brutally steep climb in the summer so I'm not holding out much hope of making it in the deep snow.

Beg, borrow, steal, rent, or buy a set of snowshoes- it should be a great hike.

I'll post a time if there's any interest, if not I'll go whenever I wake up.

Radio traffic will be difficult without climbing to the top of the ridge, as the trail sits down in a deep canyon, but I was able to hit one of the Bremerton repeaters the last time I was in there.

I'm looking at a motorcycle on Saturday. If I can get some stuff done, I may be able to work up an Oly hike on Sunday. The freeze level went way up, so I don't know what it looks like up there.

what kind of motorcycle Criminal?

6d5e7077-c221-4276-bd54-427d31cace9c.jpg

Nice.. I have a couple myself.. I enjoy dualsporting to get to some of the caches in the hills.. let me know if you want to take a ride some time

I placed this one last year via my dual sport..

http://coord.info/GC2FRT0

you can drive up to it with just about any vehicle, but the fun way is to take the multi-use trail up from the Naches River area

I'm looking at a motorcycle on Saturday. If I can get some stuff done, I may be able to work up an Oly hike on Sunday. The freeze level went way up, so I don't know what it looks like up there.

Nice.. I have a couple myself.. I enjoy dualsporting to get to some of the caches in the hills.. let me know if you want to take a ride some time

you can drive up to it with just about any vehicle, but the fun way is to take the multi-use trail up from the Naches River area

Sounds like fun! I just need to get a motorcycle carrier for my receiver if I'm going to venture out that far. The bike has a top speed of ~65MPH so I don't really want to do much (if any) highway travel on it. Also, my butt-in-the-saddle time is pretty short.

Sounds like fun! I just need to get a motorcycle carrier for my receiver if I'm going to venture out that far. The bike has a top speed of ~65MPH so I don't really want to do much (if any) highway travel on it. Also, my butt-in-the-saddle time is pretty short.

I hear ya bout not wanting to do much highway travel.. we often stage up on FR 70 East of Greenwater and ride the Naches trail and/or forest roads down to hwy 410.. not a lot of geocaches along that route, but probably half a dozen or so that you can ride up to. The Southern end of GPNF is also a great destination for caching by dual sport.. tons of caches down there.

here's a carrier I have.. and a lot of people in our group have. We like it for relatively light weight (aluminum) and yet is quite strong and well built.

http://www.amazon.com/AMC400-Lightweight-Aluminum-Motorcycle-Carrier/dp/B000B8LIKM

I'm going to do a bike & hike Saturday morning. Starting off @ 0800 in North Bend(N 47.28.544 / W 121.44.804) and riding up the Cedar Butte trail head(N 47.25.987 / W 121.45.009) via the Snoqualmie Valley Trail and the Iron Horse Trail then hiking up to the top of Cedar Butt(e).

Rough stats say it's 12 miles of biking R/T and 2 miles of hiking R/T.

In case anyone is interested in carpooling I'll be leaving Federal Way[/url] @ 0700

I'm heading over to Tiger Mountain tomorrow morning to tackle the Tiger Mountain Challenge caches. Hitting the High School TH at 0800.

Tiger mountain was snowy at the summit last Sat. when I went.

When I did this hike on the 20th there was no snow on the section line trail but I did run into a couple of patches on the West Tiger RR grade, but there was actually more mud on the trail than there was snow.

This weekends bike and hike starts in North Bend at about 550' going up the the base of Cedar Butte @ 1100'. Cedar Butte summit is about 1850' Might be a bit of snow on the trail but shouldn't be a big deal, did I just jinx myself.

A few weeks ago I did mount Peak and then did a bicycle ride out past Enumclaw and was riding through about 4" of snow for about a mile.

I'm heading over to Tiger Mountain tomorrow morning to tackle the Tiger Mountain Challenge caches. Hitting the High School TH at 0800.

Tiger mountain was snowy at the summit last Sat. when I went.

Tiger Summit was snowy this morning when I went over it to grab a cache. Very pretty with all the trees white. On the way back it was snowing on the West side. The snow line was about 1200 feet.

I'm going to do a bike & hike Saturday morning. Starting off @ 0800 in North Bend(N 47.28.544 / W 121.44.804) and riding up the Cedar Butte trail head(N 47.25.987 / W 121.45.009) via the Snoqualmie Valley Trail and the Iron Horse Trail then hiking up to the top of Cedar Butt(e).

In case anyone is interested in carpooling I'll be leaving Federal Way[/url] @ 0700

14.2 miles, 4 hours, 5 finds, 2 DNF's, 1 pile-o-dog crap, and 1970 calories burned, according to Garmin Training Camp, and no snow or rain :D .

14.2 miles, 4 hours, 5 finds, 2 DNF's, 1 pile-o-dog crap, and 1970 calories burned, according to Garmin Training Camp, and no snow or rain :D .

I got a haircut.

REI has the Garmin 60CSx on sale for $219.95. After using my $40 dividend it was shipped for $198.80. I think Arlene might like holding it over the 76CSx she is now using. No, it is not paperless but a very accurate GPS. Just wanted to give you hikers a heads up on a great GPS.

REI has the Garmin 60CSx on sale for $219.95. After using my $40 dividend it was shipped for $198.80. I think Arlene might like holding it over the 76CSx she is now using. No, it is not paperless but a very accurate GPS. Just wanted to give you hikers a heads up on a great GPS.

Yes, I love that GPS. I got mine at costco a few months ago, but I forgot the price. :(

Very accurate, hold vertically for best results.

Thanks for the tip! It also reminded me this was the last day of the REI sale and I hadn't used my 20% coupon yet (alas, doesn't apply to GPSrs but I can always use other stuff). Made a beeline to the mothership in Seattle, as did all the other bees. I've never seen such a crowd - the streets were choked with cars for blocks, the garage was full, they had employees directing traffic. Wowee. Anyway...I grabbed a new Garmin 60CSx for the $220 - well, ok, free with my rebate. My current 60CSx is starting to wear out, and I still think it's the best GPSr around, not convinced to upgrade, esp. now that I have a new iPhone for the cache pages (just as my old PDA wore out). Something old, something new...

Thanks for the tip! It also reminded me this was the last day of the REI sale and I hadn't used my 20% coupon yet (alas, doesn't apply to GPSrs but I can always use other stuff). Made a beeline to the mothership in Seattle, as did all the other bees. I've never seen such a crowd - the streets were choked with cars for blocks, the garage was full, they had employees directing traffic. Wowee. Anyway...I grabbed a new Garmin 60CSx for the $220 - well, ok, free with my rebate. My current 60CSx is starting to wear out, and I still think it's the best GPSr around, not convinced to upgrade, esp. now that I have a new iPhone for the cache pages (just as my old PDA wore out). Something old, something new...

Can I have the old one? :laughing:

I’d like to scope out the Slab Camp Trail for further hikes later in the season and as a spring trainer, so I got the idea I might do this tomorrow. The Slab Camp Bridge is three miles in and the Slide Creek is 5½ miles- one or the other depending on my mood. I don’t think there are any stunning views, just forest. The bears are supposed to be coming out of hibernation around now, and with the forecasted good weather tomorrow I’m hoping we might see one.

If anyone is interested in going I’ll set a meet-up time, if not I’ll go whenever I wake up.

It was a perfect day for a hike. TR posted. I've added a new heading in the Trip Reports page, Radio Data, that will report the success or failure of radio contacts.

Just a hint of snow at the top:

Trail1.png

Gray Wolf River:

GrayWolf.png

Yay! I made it in before the EDIT button spoiled!

The links in this thread and elsewhere to ONF trail info pages are broken. The Forest Service revamped their entire website. It must have happened last night, because I used the old site to add links to my hike report from this weekend. The trail info is now separated into 'Day Hike' and 'Backpacking' for your inconvenience. To further complicate things, the new ones have 400+ character addresses. That means a LOT of work to update my hiking pages on the website.

Here's the Day Hike link: http://tinyurl.com/42fcqgv

Here's the Backpacking link: http://tinyurl.com/3jup9vl

If you liked the old .pdf files for printing, they are still available here: http://tinyurl.com/3b3f3x7

Also, for all that work there is some erroneous information about firearms being prohibited in the National Park. You’ll find that verbiage on the trail info for ONF trails that end in the ONP.

Edited by Criminal

I'm busy on Saturday but might be able to get away on Sunday.

Sunday is supposed to be the nicer of the two days. Do you have a preference? I'm leaning towards fire- nothing is blooming and there's still mushy snow anywhere up high.

I'm not real familiar with the area but how about heading up the Hamma Hamma then setting a course for Mildred lakes andbooting it up the trail as far as the snow will let us? Or something else.

Sunday is supposed to be the nicer of the two days. Do you have a preference? I'm leaning towards fire- nothing is blooming and there's still mushy snow anywhere up high.

I'm not real familiar with the area but how about heading up the Hamma Hamma then setting a course for Mildred lakes andbooting it up the trail as far as the snow will let us? Or something else.

Are you talking about this Mildred Lakes? If so, how will you get there, down and around or up and over?

Are you talking about this Mildred Lakes? If so, how will you get there, down and around or up and over?

That's the place.

Normally I would do the down and around, City Navigator says 1:50 down and around, 2:10 up and around to Hwy 101 & FR #25. SO I guess it's 6 of one 1/2 a dozen of the other.

That's the place.

Normally I would do the down and around, City Navigator says 1:50 down and around, 2:10 up and around to Hwy 101 & FR #25. SO I guess it's 6 of one 1/2 a dozen of the other.

I am not sure when they repair the road.Sometimes spring runoff covers the road with gravel. But You can usually make it to the Putnam Trail which climbs pretty quick.

I can see snow from my house I don't know how much there may be there.

That's the place.

I am not sure when they repair the road.Sometimes spring runoff covers the road with gravel. But You can usually make it to the Putnam Trail which climbs pretty quick.

I can see snow from my house I don't know how much there may be there.

There's also Lena Lake. Not as high and should be paved all the way to the TH, if the FS bulletin is correct.

Then let's shoot for Lena Lakes, meet at the mall parking lot by Barnes & Noble Sunday morning so as to be able to leave the lot by 0700- if you're coming this way- otherwise meet at the trailhead at 0830ish. Chime in if you're coming and whether or not you're meeting at the B&N so we'll know to wait if you're running late.

EDIT to add: If the time is problematic we can negotiate a little later.

Edited by Criminal

Then let's shoot for Lena Lakes, meet at the mall parking lot by Barnes & Noble Sunday morning so as to be able to leave the lot by 0700- if you're coming this way- otherwise meet at the trailhead at 0830ish. Chime in if you're coming and whether or not you're meeting at the B&N so we'll know to wait if you're running late.

EDIT to add: If the time is problematic we can negotiate a little later.

0700 @ the mall works for me.

This was a fun hike on an incredible weather day! With the almost non-stop rain and cold temperatures for as far back as I can remember, the appearance of a day both sunny and warm is ample incentive to hit the trail. Of course, this early in the season theres nothing blooming and theres still a lot of snow up high, but after wasting away all Spring I was ready to take what I could get, and quite happily too.

TR is here.

Cache1.png

HOTT1.png

John.png

LR2.png

GroupShotZoom.png

Edited by Criminal

Well this is the only hike you have made that I have been to. Over fifty years ago I was with the Olympic College Mountaineer group on our way to climbing the Brothers. We hiked to Lower Lena then went north to an overnight camp and climbed the South Peak of the Brothers. I was young then in my 30's carrying a 50 lb pack. I felt it and would walk awhile and then find a tree or rock to lean against. Only time in my life when I was in shape was when I was a Naval Aviation Cadet. The climb on the Brother's was easy as I was only taking a day pack. I montored the 146.62 repeater but didn't hear you. Thanks for the pictures. Dick

Well this is the only hike you have made that I have been to. Over fifty years ago I was with the Olympic College Mountaineer group on our way to climbing the Brothers. We hiked to Lower Lena then went north to an overnight camp and climbed the South Peak of the Brothers. I was young then in my 30's carrying a 50 lb pack. I felt it and would walk awhile and then find a tree or rock to lean against. Only time in my life when I was in shape was when I was a Naval Aviation Cadet. The climb on the Brother's was easy as I was only taking a day pack. I montored the 146.62 repeater but didn't hear you. Thanks for the pictures. Dick

I didn't even try simplex since I couldn't even hit the repeater in Bremerton. I think the opening in the canyon was facing the wrong way. I was able to his several repeaters and even made a contact (sort of) off the Tiger Mountain repeater- I was able to trip the repeater but too weak to be intelligible.

After the great weather last Sunday, there’s just no way I’m going out hiking in the rain this weekend. Admittedly, it’s still too early to say for sure what the weather is going to do, but as of right now it’s RAIN.

I plan to head over the Hood Canal to the Olympics to practice some fire craft on Saturday. The time and location are still pretty fluid so chime in if you want to come and I’ll start making some real plans.