Finding others in my area

Scarlett_Ohara

What do you do if there are no local events or groups?

Attend a local event.

Better yet - host one yourself!!! Anybody can do it. Make it a potluck at some local meeting room. They will come.

There may not be any local events scheduled yet but keep looking at the event calender and one may pop up. But it all depends on what you consider local. There may be events going on in your area but may be up to an hour away. Also try looking online for any caching organizations in your state.

About 3/4ths of the way down the main page of geocaching.com, is a link to the event calendar. Attending an event is the best way to meet other cachers. Many areas (like mine) don't have organized geocaching groups, but do have active cachers who attend events.

I have met some of the greatest people from attending events. Many of which I am honored to now call close friends.

For me within 25 miles is local. And the nearest group is like around 50 or so miles away. There's one local event but my car doesn't have the brightest headlights so I would only be able to go for 15 min and then have a 45 min drive to get home before dark. UGH! Hate my car!

But I was shocked to finally see something close and it's just a meet & greet but that would be great to meet people! But CIGA usually has meetings but they are just to far for me to go to all the way in peoria.

The Big MOGA event thing will be way to far to go to though.

I just see lots of people logging finds on caches around here but would love to meet them.

I haven't run into anyone at the same cache I was looking for....yet. You may get lucky and meet someone that way. If you see the same cache hider name on lots of caches around you there is a chance they live close by. You could try contacting them and see if they know of others that live in the area also. You might be able to hitch a ride, attend a meet and greet, and go caching with them after the meeting. Just some ideas.

Thank you for the ideas and I just notice when I pull up caches in my area and see how many and how recent local caches have been found close to me. That's how I noticed so many in my area hopefully but just didn't know a good way to contact them or the proper etiquette. Ya know?

Thanks again!

Thank you for the ideas and I just notice when I pull up caches in my area and see how many and how recent local caches have been found close to me. That's how I noticed so many in my area hopefully but just didn't know a good way to contact them or the proper etiquette. Ya know?

Thanks again!

As I stated above - host your own event. Anybody can!!!! The locals will show up.