Wherigo hitch

Ah yes!

:( Hello Wherigo enthusiasts,

I've been trying for a few weeks to create my first Wherigo cartridge and had got to the stage when I could play the game with the emulation feature and all it needed was a few bits and pieces to improve it. I suspect that the Tasks setup could be the problem but don't have much of a clue really.

The problem started when I saved the cartridge and tried to open it again, but couldn't. I took a photograph of the message that came up, but can't find a way to reproduce the photograph on this formum. I'll try to type the message here, hoping I don't make any mistakes.

"Error reading cartridge.

System.ApplicationException:Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException'

was thrown.

at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.LuaDoFile(String

filename)

at ZonesAuthor.LuaFunctions.ReadLuaCartridge(String LuaFileName)

at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.OpenCartridgeFile()"

I can't see that my gps unit or OS will have anything to do with the problem, but they are a Garmin Oregon and Windows 7.

Up to now, I've noticed that the problem occurs after my deleting or adding to the Tasks feature. It may occur after other things as well, but I've not noticed this.

I would appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Ah yes!

It looks like the error you get when trying to open a cartridge you created with Groundspeak's Builder on a 64-bit computer. Try this: create a new cartridge with one zone. Save it and try to open it. If you get the same error, that's what it is. The solution is in the pinned "Wherigo Builder and 64-bit Windows" thread, starting at this post. (Moderator note: yes, I changed the name of that topic just now so it makes more sense.)

It looks like the error you get when trying to open a cartridge you created with Groundspeak's Builder on a 64-bit computer. Try this: create a new cartridge with one zone. Save it and try to open it. If you get the same error, that's what it is. The solution is in the pinned "Wherigo Builder and 64-bit Windows" thread, starting at this post. (Moderator note: yes, I changed the name of that topic just now so it makes more sense.)

Thanks for your reply, Ranger Fox. Sorry for not mentioning that my computer is 32bit so the 64bit problem shouldn't be relevant.

I created a one-zone cartridge as you suggested and there is no problem re-opening it after saving it.

Since posting my problem, I have managed to complete the cartridge but it was very time consuming: I suspected the "Tasks" feature as the problem arose after making several changes to the Tasks. So I deleted or amended all the tasks to a basic "Go to Zone X" with no frills. Every time I added a task, I saved the cartridge and reopened it. If successful, I saved it again twice as different backups, to fall back on. In this way, I progressed until the cartridge was completed.

It has seven Zones, but is really basic. Apart from making Zones and Tasks active or inactive and Tasks complete, with a few photos being displayed, there are no adventurous features used. It is my first attempt though, so perhaps my next will improve....no doubt the problem is just waiting to pounce again so we'll just have to wait and see.

Thanks again. Any further advice always welcome. Ah yes!

A little more information. After I had finished with the simple one Zone cartridge as a test-case, I deleted it. When about to re-open the current cartridge, I noticed that the "Testcase" one was still in the list, so I clicked on it as if to open it to see what would happen.

I got the same message as I've reported earlier. Does this help to pinpoint the bug? Regards. Ah yes!