Uploading a pocket query to Dakota 20

I'm confused too.... it's not working for me. I created a PQ and downloaded (on a mac). Unzipped and get a single .gpx file. I open that with BaseCamp but it's only the one's I found... so.. I say to myself, I must have setup the PQ wrong so I go to GC.com and use the "preview with google maps" or "preview pocket query" it gives me the list that I wanted generated... I tried dropping into the gpx folder on my garmin and that didn't help either. Very frustrating.

You should have 2 GPX files after you unzip the Pocket Query (PQ). Maybe retry sending the PQ without compressing it (Check box option at bottom of PQ).

Here's where to go for information: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching. The Dakota functions the same as the Oregon.

OK.. I'm not sure which button I picked (or didn't) but the first download was "my finds" which was loading up. I think I was confused between that file and the PQ. I just tried again and tried unpacking (unzipping) the zip file right in the garmin itself... Using Basecamp, I tried viewing all the data on the Garmin but it was just showing me all the old familiar caches that had always been on there.... so... I went back to the Garmin folder, right clicked the file and asked it to open in BaseCamp. TADA... they are showing up in BaseCamp!... and listed in a "Recently imported from........" folder. I clicked and dragged that folder to the Garmin icon in BaseCamp and TADA.. all the cache info now showing up on the Garmin according to BaseCamp with all the updated log entries, etc... one last test...eject the Garmin from the Mac..did I mention I was using a Mac?... and look for some of the caches on the garmin... This is what I found... If there was a pre-existing cache on my Garmin, it's the same as the first time I downloaded it. If was new to the Garmin.. all the information was new and update. So............ do I wipe the old GPX files on the Garmin before adding the new gpx from the PQ I just created?

After hours of losing my mind......(sometimes they show in BaseCamp, sometimes they don't, not updating or showing on Garmin but showing on BaseCamp.)... This is what I THINK I know to do to update all my PQ's with fresh logs, etc.

•  
  • I need to wipe All GPX's that are GC's in ../GPX folder on the Garmin.
  • Unpack (unzip) the PQ's. It doesn't really matter where, at least in my case.
  • Import the 2 unzipped .gpx files (one for GC's, the others for Waypoints) into basecamp.
  • Highlight all the updated files that are listed (click on first, scroll down to last, hold the shift key and right click on last).
  • Right click and select "send to GPS" or use "send to GPS button" on the console.

Again.. this may be unique to a Mac, it could operate differently on a PC.

After hours of losing my mind......(sometimes they show in BaseCamp, sometimes they don't, not updating or showing on Garmin but showing on BaseCamp.)... This is what I THINK I know to do to update all my PQ's with fresh logs, etc.

• Import the 2 unzipped .gpx files (one for GC's, the others for Waypoints) into basecamp.
  • Highlight all the updated files that are listed (click on first, scroll down to last, hold the shift key and right click on last).
  • Right click and select "send to GPS" or use "send to GPS button" on the console.

Have you ever considered skipping Basecamp? You could do it like this:

1. Wipe all GPXs in the \GPX\ directory, as above.
  2. Unzip the PQ, as above.
  3. Put the unzipped .gpx files into the \GPX\ directory from step 1.
  4. Done.

Have you ever considered skipping Basecamp? You could do it like this:

1. Wipe all GPXs in the \GPX\ directory, as above.
  2. Unzip the PQ, as above.
  3. Put the unzipped .gpx files into the \GPX\ directory from step 1.
  4. Done.

That's what I tried the first time, for some reason... the Dakota wouldn't display all the caches, just some. It was really weird and incredibly frustrating.. like I said, losing my mind. Everytime you want to verify the gps, shut down all the programs, eject the garmin and SDcard, reboot the garmin, check GC's to validate.

Are you empting your trash after you delete the GPX files from your GPS? A Mac will put the old GPX file from your trash back in the GPS if you don’t empty the trash.

There is no need to use Basecamp. Just copy the new uncompressed GPX files in the GPX folder.

Well, I gave it some thought and I'm thinking it was my own ignorance and understanding on how gpx files work. Here I was thinking that each GC would have it's own filename... ie: GCXXXX.gpx . Then I was thinking that as the "myfilename.gpx" Pocket queries were imported, each of thos GCxxxx.gpx would somehow "decompress". Obviously I am completely wrong.

I believe what was happening is the garmin was using the individual GCXXXX.gpx files as the more dominant file, overwriting any PQ results. As I was toggling between the garmin and Basecamp imported files I kept getting varying results.

Does that make sense?....... anyhow, I think I pegged it now. Worse thing was I wiped some random caches off the garmin from up north, no biggie. I think I can fix that with the "my finds" pocket query....

I also just made a discovery. I created 3 very distinct PQ's each with 1000 caches and copied them to the dakota.(ya, I know what your are thinking.... I read after that there is a maximum of 2000 on the dakota 20 and now I have 3000.. thhhppppk.. That's a new discovery too. Anyhow, back to the story). When you boot the dakota, it's not shy and tells you right away if you exceeded the caches. So, here I go..

•  
  • I delete 4 of the PQ's (GC's and WP's),
  • clear (delete) the list that is showing in basecamp,
  • empty the trash,
  • I go back to basecamp and ask it to "receive from GPS".... Holy donuts, all 3000 of the GC's are still showing! What the heck?!?!?!?

At the end of all this, I rebooted BaseCamp and "receive from GPS" again.. TADA.. only the one remaining set is showing. I guess basecamp has some internal buffer that was holding all the old data or something.

I'm >| |< that much smarter than I was this morning. Thanks for your advice. I'm tired and heading off to bed.

I'm having a problem with uploading PQs to my Dakota 20. From when I got it, I just downloaded the PQ and dropped it into the GPX folder, but for the last couple weeks this hasn't worked and when I turn the GPS on it shows up with the "no caches found". Not sure what's wrong??

Ok I've jsut answered my own question I've been trying to solve for weeks. Instead of each time deleting the PQ, deleting the trash, putting in the new PQ and seeing if it worked this time I deleted the PQ and trash then ejected GPSr. After that plugged it back in and put the PQ back in. It miraculously worked!? Never have done it this way before, but who knows.

Ye sits good to delete older PQs if the new one is basically an update to the old. After every cache outing or before a big on i get a new PQ of my general area. I delete the old gpx off my Dakota 10 and put the new one in.

mpilchfamily since you have Dakota 10 I am looking at the 10 but was wondering if that was of internal memory or do you wished you had Dakota 20 which has data slot