Tunnels

dickholmes

I recently found a tunnel/drain while out looking for a different cache. I thought it would be a great place to hide a cache. since I hadnt done one before I went and found the other tunnel caches in the area. An obsession was born. I hid two later that day. I was just wondering if any one out there has compiled a list of the tunnel caches or if there is an easy way to find more. If you know of any please let me know and I will add them to my list(only has 5 right now. two of which are mine). I would really like to do some more of these caches so closer to Santa Barbara CA is preferred but I want to know about others as well. Thanks for the help every one and here are the 5 I have already...Tunnels

I recently found a tunnel/drain while out looking for a different cache. I thought it would be a great place to hide a cache. since I hadnt done one before I went and found the other tunnel caches in the area. An obsession was born. I hid two later that day. I was just wondering if any one out there has compiled a list of the tunnel caches or if there is an easy way to find more. If you know of any please let me know and I will add them to my list(only has 5 right now. two of which are mine). I would really like to do some more of these caches so closer to Santa Barbara CA is preferred but I want to know about others as well. Thanks for the help every one and here are the 5 I have already...Tunnels

It's nice to hear you were able to get permission so easily.

Most of the drains, tunnels, adits and conduits over here are owned by the area water authorities, and they slam the doors if you even suggest letting untrained/unequipped/unauthorised people in.....

I have done a couple of tunnel caches. These are my favorites!

Go through a hill (over 100 year old railway tunnel) in Luxembourg: Forgotten Darkness GCVVN9

Get into the river Worm and under the city of Aachen (Germany): Nachtcache: Wurm-Loch (Daylight Reloaded) GC1G4X4

Worst smelling cache - get into the sewer in Luxembourg: Kanalratte (Sewer Rat) GC1GHRE

Greetings, Moose61

Pardon my newb question, but do GPSrs work in tunnels? Seems like if there's the hint of a raincloud in the air, my signal is pathetic. Then again, my GPSr is pathetic, so those might well be related issues.

No and that's the beauty of some of them.. especially if the hunter doesn't know the tunnel exists and is searching the surface 50 feet above the cache. :)

Pardon my newb question, but do GPSrs work in tunnels? Seems like if there's the hint of a raincloud in the air, my signal is pathetic. Then again, my GPSr is pathetic, so those might well be related issues.

No and that's the beauty of some of them.. especially if the hunter doesn't know the tunnel exists and is searching the surface 50 feet above the cache. :)

Yeah see, that would be me. Except I'd be 50 feet above *AND* fifty feet away.

Would it be safe to assume that a public tunnel that goes under a major road wouldn't be allowed, since it goes under a major road? Ya know, even if the tunnel is public? :unsure:

I've done one in a pedestrian underpass of a highway. It was a puzzle cache, with posted coordinates at one end of the tunnel.

One of my top 5 cache hunts (top 6 as we dnf'd first time) is unfortunately now archived:PA Turnpike Cache #2 "The Cache Down Under"

The cache was inside a 6700' tunnel (unlit) that is part of a 12 mile stretch of the PA Turnpike that got re-routed years ago. The whole thing is a great hike or bike ride. Very "Mad Max" feel to it with grass growing up out of the pavement.

Here's our dnf log:We''ll be back!

And we were :lol:

These are great everyone. thanks for all the cool caches. Does anyone know of a good way to initially find these spots besides just driving around staring at creeks and drainage areas? Im thinking of trying to find a street artist to give me a tour of our local ones. other ideas and more caches are very welcome. thanks again

Im going to San Francisco this weekend anyone know of any tunnels/caves/underground caches up there? it would be greatly appreciated.

If you make it north to marin feel free to email me and I can give you a list of some of the ones up here. There are a couple of ones that are well-deserved favorites on many people's list - this cache is mine and down to the sunless sea -- and a couple of your typical large drainpipe caches.

Edited by mulvaney