(Another) GPS question

HazelS

I cache quite happily with my Colorado 300, and like it. However... I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, and have been considering an Oregon for some time.

I finally decided that yes, I'd indulge myself, and get a nice Oregon 300 (about my price range) and then realised it'd been replaced by the Oregon 450.

Now, I'm no GPS snob, I have a GPS, I use it for caching and nowt else (much) and I'm not bothered about bells and whistles. I just want to get out, have a walk, find some caches (LOL, usually!) and go home.

So - the big question is... Do I go for the 300 (still available) the 450, or do I stick with the Colorado?

Please don't go recommending other GPSs, cos I'm not really bothered by others, I like Colorados and Oregons!!!

Ta chaps! :) :)

Edited cos I can't spell and type quickly!

Edited by HazelS

if you want to upgrade, go with the 450. the x00 models are all discontinued. i don't understand why they're still selling for so much money.

the colorado seems to be a fine unit though, with a very similar feature set. what is it that would make you want to upgrade? just the touchscreen?

Edited by dfx

I cache quite happily with my Colorado 300, and like it.

Now, I'm no GPS snob, I have a GPS, I use it for caching and nowt else (much) and I'm not bothered about bells and whistles. I just want to get out, have a walk, find some caches (LOL, usually!) and go home.

Your Colorado will do all that for you already Hazel - are you sure you're not a GPS snob? :laughing:

I cache quite happily with my Colorado 300, and like it.

Your Colorado will do all that for you already Hazel - are you sure you're not a GPS snob? :laughing:

LOL Tim... maybe I am!!!

I dunno really, I love the touch screen, and I think prior to having a touch screen phone, I'd never have bought an oregon, but I DO find myself trying to touch screen the colorado!!

I really am getting fed up of the difficulty (or rather the faffiness) when doing multis too, but Tim... you might be right, I may just be a GPS snob, but if that's the case would I not be lusting over the 62st!!?

Maybe I should just spend the money redecorating my hall, stairs and landing instead!!!!

I use the colorado and I love it. I too thought about the touch screen but decided I couldn't justify the extra money. Also I think the colorado wins hands down on looks. I love the stubby ariel and the wheel, I think it makes it look a lot more robust. I do find it a bit fiddly sometimes on multis but I wouldn't go for the oregon just for the touch screen. It would probably be a lot more awkward to use with gloves as well.

The latest software for the Colorado includes the ability to receive 'chirps'. The Oregon of course already does. I'd recommend the Oregon. The touch screen is sooooo much better than that awful wheel on the Colorado (I speak from experience). The Oregon 450 also has a 3-axis compass which means it works whichever way you hold it (calibration dance is a bit more exciting though!) and of course it holds 5000 geocaches....

If you want to push yourself another £20 or so then the 550 is the same but has a camera which is actually quite good. Geotags the photos so you can always navigate back to somewhere you've enjoyed being at....

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

I use the colorado and I love it. I too thought about the touch screen but decided I couldn't justify the extra money. Also I think the colorado wins hands down on looks. I love the stubby ariel and the wheel, I think it makes it look a lot more robust. I do find it a bit fiddly sometimes on multis but I wouldn't go for the oregon just for the touch screen. It would probably be a lot more awkward to use with gloves as well.

I love the touch screen on my Oregon 300, it makes so much more sense than turning a wheel! :unsure:

But .......... saying that, it is useless with gloves, no matter how thin the gloves are.

So in the winter you could use your Colorado Hazels and use your Oregon 300 in the Summer! ;)

I love the touch screen on my Oregon 300, it makes so much more sense than turning a wheel! :unsure:

But .......... saying that, it is useless with gloves, no matter how thin the gloves are.

I manage the Oregon touch screen even when wearing motor-cycle gloves. Not quite as easy as it is without them, true, but not too bad. The only button I have sometimes to stab at more than once is the "back arrow" down in the bottom left corner, to return to the current position on the map after having scrolled ahead. Nor would it be very rewarding trying to select a waypoint off the map display :lol: . But quite usable for the most part.

What I CAN'T use at all with gloves on is my iPhone.

Rgds, Andy

So in the winter you could use your Colorado Hazels and use your Oregon 300 in the Summer! ;)

I don't have a problem using it with gloves - for general use. Antiquated resistive touchscreens have their uses ;)

I manage the Oregon touch screen even when wearing motor-cycle gloves. Not quite as easy as it is without them, true, but not too bad. The only button I have sometimes to stab at more than once is the "back arrow" down in the bottom left corner, to return to the current position on the map after having scrolled ahead. Nor would it be very rewarding trying to select a waypoint off the map display :lol: . But quite usable for the most part.

What I CAN'T use at all with gloves on is my iPhone.

Rgds, Andy

Is it just wooley gloves then do you think?

Or do you wear wooley gloves too?

I really can't get anything to work when I touch the screen ..... at all!

::Off to experiment with different gloves now::

Entering next stages of multis is very easy now since a recent-ish Oregon software update.

Could you tell me a bit more? I have a Colorado, more's the pity, and I find its geocache mode almost unusable because it's so hard to do the "corrected coordinates" thing. There haven't been any firmware updates for my device since 2009.

What I want to be able to do is just to change the coordinates it thinks the cache is at, so you can go to the next stage but still have easy access to the description etc.

Many thanks

Richard

I cache quite happily with my Colorado 300, and like it. However... I have Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, and have been considering an Oregon for some time.

I finally decided that yes, I'd indulge myself, and get a nice Oregon 300 (about my price range) and then realised it'd been replaced by the Oregon 450.

So - the big question is... Do I go for the 300 (still available) the 450, or do I stick with the Colorado?

Please don't go recommending other GPSs, cos I'm not really bothered by others, I like Colorados and Oregons!!!

Ta chaps! :) :)

Edited cos I can't spell and type quickly!

Honestly, if the Colorado 300 does everything you want it to then why upgrade at all? Keep the money and use it to buy something that does stuff you can't already do.

Ive been considering an upgrade from a 60CSx to a 62st but have resisted so far because it seems like dropping the fat end of £300 for a 3-axis compass (that I'd hardly ever use) paperless caching (nice, but I can already do that with a pocket PC) and support for chirps (which I still think are solutions desperately looking for problems). So for now the £300 stays in my pocket.

If you're not bothered about bells and whistles, you're not a GPS snob and all you use it for is caching it does seem like a way to turn money into not much advantage.

But hey, if the cash is burning that big a hole in your pocket send it to me and I'll get the 62st :lol:

No, I've not tried it with wooley gloves, they are Gore-Tex motorcycle gloves.

I just tried it by interposing my wooley jumper between finger and screen, and it still works OK - I lose some of the accuracy, but that's all.

Maybe try using a fingernail through your gloves to localise the pressure?

Rgds, Andy

Go For it

Having had a Colorado which i found cumbersome with the rock and roller and time consuming adding field notes and waypoints i upgraded to the oregon 300 and have not looked back.

I love it and find it so much nicer to use, it uses the same format for layout so you wont struggle with the change.

Also any extras you have maps leads etc will still be usable.

One recommendation is the use of a screen protector i would recommend a Zagg.

full ACK. honestly i prefer using a touchscreen with thick gloves over having to press buttons. using the oregon touchscreen is not a problem at all, but pressing the one button it has (for locking the screen) can be quite a challenge with thick gloves. i can even enter coordinates (for multis) with gloves on, it sometimes takes a few tries but who cares. and if all else fails, i pick up a stick from the ground and use that as "stylus". try that with buttons!

Go For it

Having had a Colorado which i found cumbersome with the rock and roller and time consuming adding field notes and waypoints i upgraded to the oregon 300 and have not looked back.

I love it and find it so much nicer to use, it uses the same format for layout so you wont struggle with the change.

Also any extras you have maps leads etc will still be usable.

One recommendation is the use of a screen protector i would recommend a Zagg.

I use Zagg protectors for everything in my house!

If the cats stay still for too long they get one slapped on them, buying cheaper ones are just not worth it!!!

I've got an Oregon 550 and a Colorado 300.

The Colorado hasn't been out of the drawer in 12 months - think that says it all really.

The Oregon is easier to navigate, nicer looking and less glitchy.

If you've got the money Hazel then go ahead and treat yourself - the Oregon is lovely and you can always get some of the money back by flogging the Colorado on Fleabay.

No, I've not tried it with wooley gloves, they are Gore-Tex motorcycle gloves.

I just tried it by interposing my wooley jumper between finger and screen, and it still works OK - I lose some of the accuracy, but that's all.

Maybe try using a fingernail through your gloves to localise the pressure?

Rgds, Andy

Imagine if you will:

An odd array of gloves laid out on the bed ready for my glove test.

Okay....

My usual wool gloves (3 pairs of)...... TEST ......Nada!

Thinsulate gloves..... TEST ...... mmmmm not bad?

His motor bike gloves ....TEST..... Worked but I couldn’t see the screen!

Hunted down my motor bike gloves.... TEST ...A bit better but not much

My old Mountain Bike gloves.....TEST..... Wicked! Wow

My fingerless gloves.....TEST...... Brilliant! :rolleyes:

::So mountain bike gloves it is!::

I've only ever used my Oregon 400t and am more than happy with it (despite Snaik putting that new thing whose name escapes me on it).

Luddite that I am, I attended the GSAK event in November, signed up for what I thought was a month (I see someone's put 21 days), got snowed on, snowed on some more (ipso facto no chance to use my new-not-quite-found skills), got technofright and have lost my window. TBH, I like the old abacus method I've been using up to now, but in that way of the world with and without geocaching, see myself in Fred Flintstone Mode more and more as everyone else rushes off into the technological distance.

Cue 10 years down the road and A1 is out for a walk. She stumbles across a tupperware box and mutters "Oh yes - I remember that game. Don't know how to find these except by using Martian power and solar co-ords nowadays" and totters off into the distance on her zimmer frame. Actually, make that 30-40 years' time for the zimmer - I'm not THAT old!

Ach well - it's what we make of it, innit?

:wacko:

The latest software for the Colorado includes the ability to receive 'chirps'. The Oregon of course already does. I'd recommend the Oregon. The touch screen is sooooo much better than that awful wheel on the Colorado (I speak from experience). The Oregon 450 also has a 3-axis compass which means it works whichever way you hold it (calibration dance is a bit more exciting though!) and of course it holds 5000 geocaches....

If you want to push yourself another £20 or so then the 550 is the same but has a camera which is actually quite good. Geotags the photos so you can always navigate back to somewhere you've enjoyed being at....

Chris

Graculus

Excuse my ignorance but what are "Chirps".

I've only ever used my Oregon 400t and am more than happy with it (despite Snaik putting that new thing whose name escapes me on it).

Luddite that I am, I attended the GSAK event in November, signed up for what I thought was a month (I see someone's put 21 days), got snowed on, snowed on some more (ipso facto no chance to use my new-not-quite-found skills), got technofright and have lost my window. TBH, I like the old abacus method I've been using up to now, but in that way of the world with and without geocaching, see myself in Fred Flintstone Mode more and more as everyone else rushes off into the technological distance.

Cue 10 years down the road and A1 is out for a walk. She stumbles across a tupperware box and mutters "Oh yes - I remember that game. Don't know how to find these except by using Martian power and solar co-ords nowadays" and totters off into the distance on her zimmer frame. Actually, make that 30-40 years' time for the zimmer - I'm not THAT old!

Ach well - it's what we make of it, innit?

:wacko:

Excellent - another parchment, quill and abacus cacher! I had an Oregon 300 until I lost it at the O2 last November. I liked it a lot having previously had a Legend and a 60CSx (the latter also lost) but doubt that I made anything like the use of it that other more technically minded folk are able to. I too fear the entire caching community rushing off into the technological distance. My brain switches off the moment I see forum posts about greasemonkey script and the like :blink: :blink: ???

So I'm back on the Legend at the moment which is frankly painful. But I cant justify the cost of a sparkly new replacement just yet. What I notice about the Legend though (which I think was also true of the 60CSx) is that it has a rubberised back, which the Oregon doesn't. If you put your Oregon on the car roof and forget about it (like I did), it will slide off pretty much as soon as you drive off. Do that with a Legend and the chances are it will still be there miles down the road. But I have resolved NEVER to put anything on the car roof ever again so that shouldn't be relevant to my choice of GPS - when I get round to it . . .

Entering next stages of multis is very easy now since a recent-ish Oregon software update.

Could you tell me a bit more? I have a Colorado, more's the pity, and I find its geocache mode almost unusable because it's so hard to do the "corrected coordinates" thing. There haven't been any firmware updates for my device since 2009.

What I want to be able to do is just to change the coordinates it thinks the cache is at, so you can go to the next stage but still have easy access to the description etc.

Many thanks

Richard

Many thanks

Richard

Hey Morton, check the Garmin website. Just after the new year they added a software update to 3.52. Use your Garmin Web Updater. I'm sure this will help!

Re the Colorado and 'chirps'. Information from the Garmin website. The software is Beta which means it isn't a full release and you download and install it at your own risk. The update allows the Colorado to receive 'chirps' but not to program one.

Chris

Graculus

Edited by Graculus

You just enter the next stage co-ords and you still have easy access to the description, logs etc.

Oh Mr Graculus, you just confuse me even more....

Yes, for an extra £30 odd I can indeed get an Oregon 550.... and I love the fact that I'd not have to take my camera with me too (most of the time!!)

In fact - I'm heading Stateside in 8 weeks, and I can get a 550 there the same price as a 450 here!!

Quick one though for those with a 550 (I can't find the answer online as yet)... the pics I take with the 550, can I download them onto my PC? Most people will know that I'm an avid Facebooker, and ALL my pics get put on there so I can share them with others... so it's relatively important...

Ta!

Edited by HazelS

In fact - I'm heading Stateside in 8 weeks, and I can get a 550 there the same price as a 450 here!!

Be careful not to go over your duty free allowance though - otherwise you'll have to pay import VAT, which can easily wipe out any saving. The allowance is £390, so it won't be a problem unless you're getting more than just the GPS.

Be careful not to go over your duty free allowance though - otherwise you'll have to pay import VAT, which can easily wipe out any saving. The allowance is £390, so it won't be a problem unless you're getting more than just the GPS.

By the time I've played with it, It'll look jut like I took it with me - I'm not known for being careful with my GPS!!!

I know the rules about customs, I go to the USA every year - sometimes twice a year :rolleyes:

I know the rules about customs, I go to the USA every year - sometimes twice a year :rolleyes:

Then you are better-informed than I was on the notorious occasion involving a digital SLR and the state of California.

(Yes, no doubt I could have smuggled it in, and even if I'd been stopped nobody would have been able to tell. But I didn't.)

Yes, for an extra £30 odd I can indeed get an Oregon 550.... and I love the fact that I'd not have to take my camera with me too (most of the time!!)

Quick one though for those with a 550 (I can't find the answer online as yet)... the pics I take with the 550, can I download them onto my PC? Most people will know that I'm an avid Facebooker, and ALL my pics get put on there so I can share them with others... so it's relatively important...

Ta!

If you buy one in the US don't forget that any built-in maps will be US maps and not European maps. Also remember the issue with the whole red channel / green channel lark when you come back to the UK and consider what happens if you do have problems during the warranty period - Garmin UK may help but you may find you have to send it back to the US for repair etc (I don't know whether or not Garmin UK would process warranty repairs on a US-sourced unit, perhaps someone else can say for sure)

Ta!

If you buy one in the US don't forget that any built-in maps will be US maps and not European maps.

You can get a worldwide basemap from Amazon.com in the US, but yeah - red channel / green channel, not a problem... I know! I usually just end up buying clothes and makeup when I'm there, but I'm not intending to shop as heavily as usual this time around!!

Ta!

If you buy one in the US don't forget that any built-in maps will be US maps and not European maps.

You can get a worldwide basemap from Amazon.com in the US, but yeah - red channel / green channel, not a problem... I know! I usually just end up buying clothes and makeup when I'm there, but I'm not intending to shop as heavily as usual this time around!!

Dont worry about the world wide base map as this is on the unit anyway no matter where you buy it from but has little more than an outline of the continent you are on, well nearly.

But you can still add Talky Toasters maps or use any you have for the colorado.

But if you are saving money buying the unit, buy the Garmin Discoverer map for you area, now they are worth their weight in paper :rolleyes:

Edited by burtsbodgers

But if you are saving money buying the unit, buy the Garmin Discoverer map for you area, now they are worth their weight in paper :rolleyes:

Before buying the discoverer maps, try Mobile Atlas Creator. It free and although you can only do small sections of map at a time (about 100 Km^2 of 1:25K) I don't find this an issue as it is quick and easy to create a map when you need it.

If it doesn't suit your needs, you've not lost anything.

If you're happy you're within your duty free allowance (or want to use the green channel anyway) that's your call. I forget whether the allowance is £130 or £170 (or indeed something else entirely), but either way it's probably less than the value of a high-end Oregon.

I was tempted by a 62st when I was last in the US but found they were cheaper in the UK, even before dealing with issues like customs etc. I must admit I was stunned when I saw that.

Before buying the discoverer maps, try Mobile Atlas Creator. It free and although you can only do small sections of map at a time (about 100 Km^2 of 1:25K) I don't find this an issue as it is quick and easy to create a map when you need it.

I have started to have a look at this but as yet i am unable to make it work, any chance of some pointers?

My apologies for taking this slightly off topic, but I use the Custom Map feature extensively. But it doesn't always work. It always shows the full list of custom maps in the Setup routine, but they don't all always display. Sometimes they do, sometimes some of them do, sometimes they don't at all. I've got less than 100 JPGs, they are less than 1MPix each, no spaces or punctuation in the filenames, I always flush the write buffers before removing the USB cable.

Does anyone else get this problem?

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

I have started to have a look at this but as yet i am unable to make it work, any chance of some pointers?

I use Map2MapC so can't answer your question. But it probably would make it easier for folks to answer if you can give a bit more detail about how it doesn't work. Does it fail during the creation process, if so what is the error message? Or does the creation process work but when you copy the files to the unit they don't appear? If so, what have you called them, where have you put them, and have you enabled custom maps in the setup/maps?

Rgds, Andy

OK going from top to bottom, the settings I use are as follows:

1) For OS maps select Multimap UK OS Map from the map source drop down. (feel free to play with other options to see what is available).

2) For 1:25K at a reasonable resolution I use Zoom level 15.

3) I leave the Recreate/adjust..... box switched off.

4) Zoom (zoom wheel on mouse) and pan (right mouse button) until you can see the area of map you want.

5) Drag a box over the area you want.

6) Enter a suitable name in the name box

7) Click the 'Add selection' button

8) Select 'Garmin Custom Map (KMZ)' in the format drop down.

9) This step only needs to be done once as it will remember the settings:

a)Click the 'Settings' button

b)On the map sources tab, review and select the sources you want. (include Multimap UK OS Map for OS maps)

c)On the 'Map Size' tab select 1024. This is IMPORTANT if you don't want low res images.

d)Set the other settings to suit you.

10) Click on the 'Create atlas' button and in no time you'll have your map.

Ohhhhh

Now I've thrown another spanner in the works....

I went on a bit of a caching bender this weekend with Nat from Team Tan and Kerrie from Andybug and Ladybird.... and fell in love with my Colorado again....

Ho hum.... One day I MIGHT just get around to trading her in, but I don't know that it'll be right now!!

Edited by HazelS

OK going from top to bottom, the settings I use are as follows:

1) For OS maps select Multimap UK OS Map from the map source drop down. (feel free to play with other options to see what is available).

2) For 1:25K at a reasonable resolution I use Zoom level 15.

3) I leave the Recreate/adjust..... box switched off.

4) Zoom (zoom wheel on mouse) and pan (right mouse button) until you can see the area of map you want.

5) Drag a box over the area you want.

6) Enter a suitable name in the name box

7) Click the 'Add selection' button

8) Select 'Garmin Custom Map (KMZ)' in the format drop down.

9) This step only needs to be done once as it will remember the settings:

a)Click the 'Settings' button

b)On the map sources tab, review and select the sources you want. (include Multimap UK OS Map for OS maps)

c)On the 'Map Size' tab select 1024. This is IMPORTANT if you don't want low res images.

d)Set the other settings to suit you.

10) Click on the 'Create atlas' button and in no time you'll have your map.

Thanks Andy

Got it to work

The only thing i have noticed is that when i make a map segment i have to zoom in on the pc to more or less the zoom level i require on the GPSr.

This means i can only select a small area at a time if i want the area to have a clear image.

Is there a way of selecting a bigger area in one go or is the trade off to be able only to select small areas at a time, something for nothing if you see what i mean.

ok.... last question (I promise!!) :ph34r:

I know I'm probably being blonde, but I don't seem to be able to find out what the difference between an Oregon 450 and a 450t is???

BUT - I HAVE decided to buy one of them!!! LOL

Thanks all - I can see you all laughing at me and my indecisiveness!! :lol::laughing:

Edited by HazelS