Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HSScienceTeacher

What GPS Unit for High Schoolers

I teach 9th grade Earth Science and 10th grade Chemistry and have about $1000 to purchase at least six GPS units for use in my classes.

Of course, the less expensive the units, the more I can purchase. Our class sizes range from 20 to 28. I believe 2 units/student would be ideal, but I don't have that much funding at the moment.

I would appreciate recommendations on what GPS units (current or discontinued) would be most effective in a High School teaching environment. The activities planned include geocaching.

I would also appreciate a recommendation for a book to support use of the GPS in education.

I plan on also purchasing (with separate funding) the Mapping Our World Using GIS Media Kit books from ESRI so that we can use Arc software, at least for a year.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I teach 9th grade Earth Science and 10th grade Chemistry and have about $1000 to purchase at least six GPS units for use in my classes.

Of course, the less expensive the units, the more I can purchase. Our class sizes range from 20 to 28. I believe 2 units/student would be ideal, but I don't have that much funding at the moment.

I would appreciate recommendations on what GPS units (current or discontinued) would be most effective in a High School teaching environment. The activities planned include geocaching.

I would also appreciate a recommendation for a book to support use of the GPS in education.

I plan on also purchasing (with separate funding) the Mapping Our World Using GIS Media Kit books from ESRI so that we can use Arc software, at least for a year.

Thanks in advance for any input!

do some checking from your local power company.. the science teacher that i used to work with.. we applied for a grant and they bought us 10 magellan explorist 300 i used them to track points around the school ... and other stuff.. it was an easy application process as well very much the time .. hope this helps.. also dont forget to contact the maker directly and find out about educational discounts..

I've had good luck using inexpensive Etrex Legends with High School and elementary school aged kids. They're very basic, which might actually be a good thing.

I have taught geocaching basics to several groups (ages 5 - adult) over the last couple of years, and have used three different types of GPS units. I am also in favor of the Garmin eTrex units. They are very basic and easy to use, even for kids. It seems the more expensive the unit, the more overwhelming the features are to beginners. You can purchase the eTrex for around $100 or less online, although Garmin has officially discontinued it. Good luck!

Garmin eTrex or somthing simple! The simpler the better. I also had my kids paired up with 1 eTrex per group (3 kids per receiver is almost too many unless you have them completing a worksheet or other task)

As for books, I got "The Essential Guide to Geocaching" by Mike Dyer out of a teaching catalog. This is where I learned the basics before I actually went to the field. The copy I have is from 2004 so some of the software it references is out of date - but all the other info is great!

I plan my GPS unit during or after State Testing. I found it is a good way to keep them engaged in learning when usually they are burned out from preparing for or taking the tests. Besides, our testing is done in April, when the weather turns nice in May the kids and teachers all want to go outside = Geocaching!

I think the etrex are very antiquated at this point and I think most non techies will be frustrated with the interface in this world of iPhones and touch screens. Maybe the Geomate Jrs are the way to go. All you need is one update kit for the entire class and are super easy to use. If you need mapping and cache descriptions step up to the explorist gc.

I use the yellow etrex gps units in my classrooms. Very easy to use.

what did you finally get? I use magellan explorist GC units and they are great!

Another teacher in a nearby school bought Geomate Jr's for classroom use. Both good low end units for what you wanted to use.

Just curious how it turned out.

I was just approached to teach a Geocaching class for high school summer school!!! My mind is still blown that they are going to pay me to do this.

So my thought is use student cell phones. Most of them have them. Have them download an app and go from there. I am going to start looking into that now.