Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

QueenyB

Hi guys !!

Got my first GPS for Xmas and am trying to get it working , but running into some problems....

So as the name of the topic says its the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

I got me the Easy GPS programm, and got the GPS in "my.garmin"

The GPS will be used for Geocaching ofcourse, and I loaded 5 waypoints into my geocaches already using easy GPS

Now my first problem is:

I cant get the list of caches in my GPS with the name of the cache as waypoint. I tried to edit the preferences in easy GPS

over and over again, but still they appear in the list as p.e. GC11XQD - I´d like the list to show the names though

(and in the "note" i would like to see the hint decryptet ... but this is not working or am I not doing it right?

Second problem, that I will have as soon as I get a micro SD card tomorrow.

I am planning on using maps from Open Street Maps. I have been on their website but I dont find no maps, or no instruction on

how to use them. Any startet tips from you would be helpfull ...

Thx for reading and looking forward to your replies

QueenyB

In EasyGPS go to Edit/preferences. Click on the "My GPS Receivers" tab if not there. Click on the Geocaching button, on the waypoint box switch it to Geocache name. For the decrypted hints on the Comment box switch it to "decrypt hints" just remember if it goes over 24 characters it will get cut off.

Never used Open Street Maps so cant help you on that one.

In EasyGPS go to Edit/preferences. Click on the "My GPS Receivers" tab if not there. Click on the Geocaching button, on the waypoint box switch it to Geocache name. For the decrypted hints on the Comment box switch it to "decrypt hints" just remember if it goes over 24 characters it will get cut off.

Thx but exactly this is the problem. I have tried it like 10 times but it still shows me the codes iso the cach-names..... I think, Id better put the question in the EasyGPS forums though ....

Thx anyway... happy caching!!

Hi guys !!

Got my first GPS for Xmas and am trying to get it working , but running into some problems....

So as the name of the topic says its the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx

I got me the Easy GPS programm, and got the GPS in "my.garmin"

The GPS will be used for Geocaching ofcourse, and I loaded 5 waypoints into my geocaches already using easy GPS

Now my first problem is:

I cant get the list of caches in my GPS with the name of the cache as waypoint. I tried to edit the preferences in easy GPS

over and over again, but still they appear in the list as p.e. GC11XQD - I´d like the list to show the names though

(and in the "note" i would like to see the hint decryptet ... but this is not working or am I not doing it right?

Second problem, that I will have as soon as I get a micro SD card tomorrow.

I am planning on using maps from Open Street Maps. I have been on their website but I dont find no maps, or no instruction on

how to use them. Any startet tips from you would be helpfull ...

Thx for reading and looking forward to your replies

QueenyB

The problem is that your GPSr WILL NOT display the cache names, because the Legend HCx software package is not setup to do that. It is only capable of listing your caches by the GCXXXXX designation, and there is no way to change that on your GPSr. Hope this helps.

(and in the "note" i would like to see the hint decryptet .

By saying you can't get a list of caches, does that mean when you click on the Waypoint icon, the list of caches only shows the GC number and not the name of the cache? If so, that seems a bit strange. I have a Legend Cx and that shows the names of the caches. When I click on one of them, the next screen shows an abbreviated name of the cache, ie "BirdsEye", then the note line shows "A Bird's Eye View by luv2fish". After that, there are just the Location, Elevation and From Current Location entries.

I looked at the on-line manual for the HCx, and that shows names of waypoints. What won't show is the hint--the Legend doesn't show anything other than cache name and owner.

Maybe it has something to do with the programs you are using. I have Garmin's City Navigator (which shouldn't make any difference) and GSAK.

Sorry I can't help any, but I'm sure someone will be able to.

Yes, the HCx will show the cache name up to 8 characters*. The Note portion will show the full name up to 30 I think. Not sure how it get it to work using Easygps, I use GSAK.

You won't get cache hints and details. That would require using the 60csx GSAK macro to create custom POIs.

*I thought it was 10 characters, maybe I don't have something set right.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thx but exactly this is the problem. I have tried it like 10 times but it still shows me the codes iso the cach-names..... I think, Id better put the question in the EasyGPS forums though ....

Thx anyway... happy caching!!

If its like my 60 you also have to change the "geocache" symbol to something else like the blue flag. The HCx has a cache name 14 character limit but I think EasyGPS and ExpertGPS limits it to 10, and the comment section 30 character limit.

Your other choice is to use GSAK to change things.

Yes, the HCx will show the cache name up to 8 characters*. The Note portion will show the full name up to 30 I think. Not sure how it get it to work using Easygps, I use GSAK.

You won't get cache hints and details. That would require using the 60csx GSAK macro to create custom POIs.

*I thought it was 10 characters, maybe I don't have something set right.

If I understand QueenyB's problem correctly, when she goes to the "FIND MENU > GEOCACHE" on her HCx, she sees nothing but GCxxxxx in the listings. When she changes the GCxxxxx to the actual cache name, using EasyGPS, and loads those caches onto her GPSr, the listings still come out as GCxxxxx.

If this is the case, then the Legend HCx can "ONLY LIST" the caches as GCxxxxx, with the cache name only appearing on the "Waypoint" page, for that specific cache that was clicked on.

Queenyb,

Regarding your second request for information about OpenStreetMap and loading maps to your Legend HCx:

Create an account with OpenStreetMap at http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html if you haven't already done so.

Next, go to http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

Check the box alongside 'Choose a predefined country and/or enable manual tile selection:'.

Select map tiles covering the area your require by using the continental drop-down lists or zooming into the map and left-clicking your pointer. The selected tile(s) will change to a darker blue. I suggest you select one tile or area in the first instance as a trial: the response and data file transfer times will be quicker.

A box for your email address and a list of selected tiles will appear. Enter your email address and click the box 'Build my map'.

In due course - it could be a matter of a few hours or much longer - you will receive an email containing a web link. Clicking on that link will take you to a page that lists four different configurations. You require the gmapsupp.img file. You will find this information and much more described on the website itself and the links it offers.

Copy the gmapsupp.img file to your computer.

With your microSD card inserted, start your Legend HCx and connect it to your computer. Through Main Menu>Setup>Interface> press the joystick with USB Mass Storage highlighted in yellow. A window should display on your computer that shows your microSD card as a removable drive. My card already has a folder named 'Garmin'. Create such a folder if it is not already present.

Drag and drop or copy and paste the gmapsupp.img file you saved into the 'Garmin' folder. Your Legend HCx should indicate 'Transferring Data' at the foot of the screen.

Your map should be visible when the data transfer is complete.

Please note for all occasions: any existing .gmapsupp.img file will be overwritten when you carry out this task.

Additional notes:

I use Img2Gps (http://www.img2gps.co.cc/) to copy my files. The advantage of using this, as you might later find, is that it will allow several files such as a gmapsupp.img, a set of contours and a .typ file all to be loaded at one time to your Legend HCx.

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/ is a useful site. Refer to 'Questions and Answers' and 'Garmin Maps'. Lambertus maintains the site that allows your OSM selection. You should find much to interest you there.

I hope this helps you and good luck!

Edited by dunmappin

Hi All!

First sorry to not have checked in for a while. I kind off gave up on ever understanding and already was thinking about

selling the GPS again. I am such a electronic NOOB :)

Anyway... I decided to give it 1 more go.

@dunmappin: THANK YOU soooooo much ! I hope you are not haxing my pc or something cause I am following your steps

as a puppy ... Waiting for my email now and very excited !

All the rest thank you too about the waypoint / description explanations.

Strange is that also on the waypoint - list the caches appear as the GCXXXX codes. Maybe, iam doing this wrong again.

I will jump into this problem again and get me this other programm you are working with (GSAK)

Maybe someday I will finally be able to go caching with my new GPS :)

stavvy,

I am in UK, too, and have used the routing maps from TalkyToaster for some time. My thanks to Martin Overton for providing that excellent facility. I overlay the routing maps on my Legend HCx with transparent non-routing maps created from mkgmap, incorporating my own .typ file to replicate the appearance of roads and tracks with which we are most familiar in this country. For this, my thanks go to Charlie Ferrero and his excellent tutorials on the subject. I should not have been able to achieve that without his guiding hand.

Hi All!

First sorry to not have checked in for a while. I kind off gave up on ever understanding and already was thinking about

selling the GPS again. I am such a electronic NOOB :)

Anyway... I decided to give it 1 more go.

@dunmappin: THANK YOU soooooo much ! I hope you are not haxing my pc or something cause I am following your steps

as a puppy ... Waiting for my email now and very excited !

All the rest thank you too about the waypoint / description explanations.

Strange is that also on the waypoint - list the caches appear as the GCXXXX codes. Maybe, iam doing this wrong again.

I will jump into this problem again and get me this other programm you are working with (GSAK)

Maybe someday I will finally be able to go caching with my new GPS :)

Hi All,

I have been using this machine with the sd card installed and the maps/data from talkytoaster; have now got a second hand dell axim3i so at last I can go paperless geocaching.Don't worry about the listing on the eTrex, as long as you are where u need to be then just go to the nearest. Hope this helps, if not get back to me.ps check you tube for some good stuff as well

Edited by smitmo