cache containers and air travel

knuckledonkey

Couldn't find a section that dealt with the placement of caches.

Traveling to San Diego out of SFO tomorrow morning and want to take a cache container to place while I am down there.

It is a simple film container with a hard drive magnet taped to it with black duct tape.

We all know its a harmless item, but does anyone have any experience with the TSA, airport security and cache containers?

Its not a good idea to place caches outside your area. Unless you know you'll be able to get to the cache easily to perform maintenance.

As far as passing a "cache Container" through airport security... Its just a container to them. What matters is whats in the container. Its something you can easily keep in your checked baggage. If its part of the carrion then put something useful in it or keep it empty.

Just don't place a cache in a far off place unless you know you can get to it in a reasonable amount of time to fix any problems. Besides if the cache doesn't get approval its not good to leave an abandoned unproved cache out there.

Several points to add.

First, this is not vacation. This is my company's headquarters and I am down there 2 to 3 times a month. I also have fellow cachers in the area should immediate attention be necessary. If I find that I can no longer maintain it, I will have it removed or remove it myself.

So,

My concern is not the container or the contents, its the magnet that I concerned about.

Have you heard the news in the last 8 years about the TSA?

Its a micro, that looks suspicious, it can be made when you get to your destination for what? less than a few bucks if you try with very little effort, why would you risk being prosecuted, or even questioned, and or restrained for a micro?

Post a picture of it, im curious, it sounds like it looks like a small bomb. Black tape, magnet, the metal will set off the metal detector, the tape will set off the suspicions, its not a good idea in my opinion,

especially if its in your carry on baggage.

As far as passing a "cache Container" through airport security... Its just a container to them. What matters is whats in the container. Its something you can easily keep in your checked baggage. If its part of the carrion then put something useful in it or keep it empty.

Couldn't help myself...

Vulture_Luggage_by_StudioBueno.jpg

:anicute: If Firefox and Chrome didn't have spell check i'd be lost. Heck i'm lost with it to. LOL

A magnet isn't going to be an issue. They are worried about sharp objects and chemicals in medium to large containers.

My vote goes with this answer. First, don't put it in your pocket, put it in your carry on or your checked baggage.

There is nothing about what you described that will look suspicious. It's just a hollow container and a smaller-than-a-dime piece of metal attached. there is nothing about that which is alarming in an x-ray machine.

In November my Wife's uncle went through TSA with a pair of 8 foot long trees. He wanted to make a walking stick that could turn into a 3 legged stool and wanted to use a decent hardwood for it. Living in Utah there aren't many trees. So he pulled a couple of young oaks out of the ground. He wrapped them in duct tape to keep them together. They treated them like someone checking in a pair of skies.