Power Trails in Ontario

baax

Does anybody know of any power trails in Ontario?

I know about brantford and caledon.

Well, it's pretty much getting to the point where the old gravel rail line from Port Dover all the way to NE of Brantford is a power trail, although there are distinct individual trails by different placers, and some gaps, as shown by dfx's links. Port Dover to Simcoe is definitely one that hasn't been mentioned, although a link to the map has been provided.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

London Loop has close to 500 the follow roads and trails surrounding London and some smaller towns

Wondering why you decided to comment on a 1 year old dormant thread?

There are power trails throughout the Province now. Pretty much all the rail trails are now power trails.

because the London Loop did not exist last year? :unsure:

London Loop has close to 500 the follow roads and trails surrounding London and some smaller towns

There are power trails throughout the Province now. Pretty much all the rail trails are now power trails.

because the London Loop did not exist last year? :unsure:

Well at this point the thread should be what caches in Ontario are NOT power trails ... I wonder what percentage of Ontario caches are associated with power trails these days.... there's a side project for another day.

I just found it interesting that the thread was dead for almost 370 days when suddenly it's back with helpful information for people who have most likely already found what they were looking for.

Actually, the easiest way to find a power trail in Ontario nowadays is to simply browse the Geocaching Maps Beta and look for a line of caches, rather than a forum thread IMHO.

I just found it interesting that the thread was dead for almost 370 days when suddenly it's back with helpful information for people who have most likely already found what they were looking for.

Not true in my case and at least one other cacher I know. With this new knowledge I think I will organize a Century Club event for those who want to find 100 caches in a day.

Actually, the easiest way to find a power trail in Ontario nowadays is to simply browse the Geocaching Maps Beta and look for a line of caches, rather than a forum thread IMHO.

That does work sometimes but in my case it did not.

Well at this point the thread should be what caches in Ontario are NOT power trails ... I wonder what percentage of Ontario caches are associated with power trails these days.... there's a side project for another day.

I some how doubt there are more caches in power trails than not.

There is a power trail here on the way to Bushwacker. Lingham Lake - hypocorism - GC33P1W.

... and there's a few groups heading in there this coming weekend too. Really looking forward to that outing, though I'm disappointed that it will most likely NOT be a snowshoe trip with this (lack of) winter.

I saw that the event is covering a small section o that power trail. A real trooper like some that have done it would do the entire trail. It looks like it would be a lot of work and well worth the challenge for those capable of doing it.

I some how doubt there are more caches in power trails than not.

I'm still curious what the percentage is even if it's less than 50%. Off hand I'd say it's probably closer to 10% but that's still a significant number. Won't know till I run the numbers.

There is a power trail here on the way to Bushwacker. Lingham Lake - hypocorism - GC33P1W.

... and there's a few groups heading in there this coming weekend too. Really looking forward to that outing, though I'm disappointed that it will most likely NOT be a snowshoe trip with this (lack of) winter.

I saw that the event is covering a small section o that power trail. A real trooper like some that have done it would do the entire trail. It looks like it would be a lot of work and well worth the challenge for those capable of doing it.

I would suggest you check that again. There are multiple groups, some going in to the lake and back, some going all the way. The event CO is going all the way. I don't know how far in I am going. If it really is 5cm of snow when I get there, I may target the entire thing. Depends how much work is involved, but I'll be happy with however far in I get - it's still a fun outing. This is my beef with power trails ... I don't want to feel any pressure to "complete the entire trail" when I go out caching, I just want to go out and have some fun.

I also pray that the logs on Bushwacker don't degenerate into "1 of 57 today TFTC" , but that's a whole different topic and has been beaten to death in the Geocaching Topics forum with strong opinions on both sides of that discussion.

Cataraqui Trail, roughly running from Greater Napanee to Harrowsmith.

That was an excellent power trail that I really enjoyed and shared with a great group of friends last year. I see there are another 19 caches added to the east end of that trail.

Our stats for that trail were:

86 caches

19.5km hiked

5hrs 38mins

I think power trails are a great thing as it gives people an incentive to get out to an area that they may not have considered going to if there was just one cache there.

I would suggest you check that again. There are multiple groups, some going in to the lake and back, some going all the way. The event CO is going all the way. I don't know how far in I am going. If it really is 5cm of snow when I get there, I may target the entire thing. Depends how much work is involved, but I'll be happy with however far in I get - it's still a fun outing. This is my beef with power trails ... I don't want to feel any pressure to "complete the entire trail" when I go out caching, I just want to go out and have some fun.

I also pray that the logs on Bushwacker don't degenerate into "1 of 57 today TFTC" , but that's a whole different topic and has been beaten to death in the Geocaching Topics forum with strong opinions on both sides of that discussion.

I know there are multiple groups doing multiple things that day. The event however is only part way along the trail.

Not sure why power trails have anything to do with being pressured. They are just caches along a trail that happen to be close together. This does not make them any better or worse than any other caches because they happen to be along a power trail.

I know there are multiple groups doing multiple things that day. The event however is only part way along the trail.

Not sure why power trails have anything to do with being pressured. They are just caches along a trail that happen to be close together. This does not make them any better or worse than any other caches because they happen to be along a power trail.

The event is one stop along the trail. I'm sure the event CO would have used the Organized Group Hunt event type if that was available for this outing. Same as the BT Hike Events are "at the posted co-ordinates" even though most of the attendees hike the entire route with everyone else.

You did the pressuring in your post above. See the bolded text in what you said.

The event is one stop along the trail. I'm sure the event CO would have used the Organized Group Hunt event type if that was available for this outing. Same as the BT Hike Events are "at the posted co-ordinates" even though most of the attendees hike the entire route with everyone else.

Not sure why my BT Hike events are mentioned here as they have nothing to do with Power Trails and most definitely are not and never will be organized cache hunts, which you should know having attended all of them.

Not sure why my BT Hike events are mentioned here as they have nothing to do with Power Trails and most definitely are not and never will be organized cache hunts, which you should know having attended all of them.

No offense meant there Ralph. I enjoy the BT Hike events and pulled the example as the closest match to the event type - hike along, stop for a logbook, keep hiking model.

Keith raised the point that the Lingham Lake Lunch event was only about "a short section" of the caches, and I used the BT Hike as an example of a similar type of event that is not about the specific location.

Technically one could log the Lingham Lake event if they show up in a Helicopter at the posted co-ordinates at noon.

Technically one can log the BT Hike event if they show up at the start and sign the logbook, then drive home.

In both situations it is quite obvious that the group is planning to visit the caches along the hike. But the main goal of both is the hike.

I hope you are not implying that the purpose of the event is an organized cache hunt. Not only would that be against the listing guidelines, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. If you don't like power trails, too bad or good for you, which ever way you would like to have it.

Back to the original subject of finding power trails. I like them and I like finding out there are more that I did not know about. Keep the trails coming in guys and gals.

I know of only one power trail in the area where most of the caches are water tight swag-size caches (i.e. you can leave at least a couple of travelbugs). Plus there's some variety to the types of hides and styles. That would be the Kissing Bridge power trail between Guelph and Millbank. Does anyone know of any other PTs in the area that are well maintained, use watertight containers, mostly travelbug size containers with a variety of cache hides and styles?

I hope you are not implying that the purpose of the event is an organized cache hunt. Not only would that be against the listing guidelines, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. If you don't like power trails, too bad or good for you, which ever way you would like to have it.

Back to the original subject of finding power trails. I like them and I like finding out there are more that I did not know about. Keep the trails coming in guys and gals.

Well, all I started off with was that I was going to enjoy that particular power trail this weekend, even though I generally don't like them.

Take from that what you want.

On topic there's a small power trail in Grand Valley.

Truth be told I didnt even notice the date on the orig' thread I just came accross it and had recently been creating a pocket querie to go after the Loop myself.... wondering why you find it odd that a man would offer to anwser a question no matter how old the question is if he thought it would help ?

Truth be told I didnt even notice the date on the orig' thread I just came accross it and had recently been creating a pocket querie to go after the Loop myself.... wondering why you find it odd that a man would offer to anwser a question no matter how old the question is if he thought it would help ?

Based on my personal observation, it seemed like a ping for power trails.

I see that my question about well maintained, swag-size, watertight container PTs in Ontario has gone unanswered and probably because there aren't any.

Personally, I feel the ideal power trail grows organically, slowly through time with a variety of container sizes, water tight container styles, hide styles and a variety of cache owners.

Edited by Solitario R

Here's a semi-relevant XKCD comic called "Wisdom of the Ancients" as to why responding to old threads might help someone else:

wisdom_of_the_ancients.png

I don't want to take the thread off topic (more) so I'm dropping that discussion. I'll happily discuss why I believe it's a bad idea to resurrect old threads (in general) in another topic (i.e. Off Topic forum) or via PM.

Carry on with the topic at hand which is listing all those discarded margarine containers that are 162 metres apart. I'd love to see a response to Solitario R's question about watertight swag size maintained power trails in Ontario.

I don't want to take the thread off topic (more) so I'm dropping that discussion. I'll happily discuss why I believe it's a bad idea to resurrect old threads (in general) in another topic (i.e. Off Topic forum) or via PM.

Would have good earlier. Oh well.

I'd love to see a response to Solitario R's question about watertight swag size maintained power trails in Ontario.

From what I have found owning a power trail, people don't seem to mind bison tubes hanging in trees. I can say this by the number of find I have compared to another cache I have that is an amo can by a nice water fall with 89 visits during an event. Compare that to the power trail with an average of 150 finds each. With kind of success I don;t see placers spending the extra money on swag and containers on a power trail.

From what I have found owning a power trail, people don't seem to mind bison tubes hanging in trees. I can say this by the number of find I have compared to another cache I have that is an amo can by a nice water fall with 89 visits during an event. Compare that to the power trail with an average of 150 finds each. With kind of success I don;t see placers spending the extra money on swag and containers on a power trail.

Number of visitors to a cache is just one metric to describe the "success" of the cache. Another is average log length. Another is favourite points. Another is photos posted.

Just saying. Everyone looks for something different. As long as the finders and the CO are happy I'm happy. If number of visitors was all that was important, frankly the carpool lot caches would be the top caches in the Province.

While I'm OK with bison tubes (except bison tubes in evergreens, life is too short for those) I find I prefer regulars these days. I have visited some of your Bison Tubes on the Caledon Trailway and they were fine.

The cracked margarine containers with a half inch of water in the bottom (elsewhere) are right out. IMHO.

So, are there any power trails in Ontario that feature better containers?

I agree, that it doesn't make sense to spend $5 per container when placing a power trail. There is always the odd cache along a power trail that will accommodate travel bugs. Most people don't trade anymore, so why waste putting trade items into caches along a power trail. There are thousands of other caches out there if those that are looking to trade a TB or trade items.

I bought 100+ 300ml water tight containers that are all ready to be placed for a power trail. I just need to find a good trail (preferably rail trail) close to home to put it along.

I do have a concern about water tight containers though in that not only does it keep water out, but it also keeps water and condensation in. I find there are just as many lock n lock and tupperware containers are are wet as there are caches in margarine containers. I really liked what was done on the Brantford rail trail power trail with putting a micro inside of a margarine or similar container. So even if water penetrates the outer container, the log usually remains dry in the inner container.

I think it is pretty clear that most people do enjoy rail trails and this can be easily proven by the amount of finds on these caches compared to others. For me, each day I look for different things. There are days I look for adventure, there are days I want to do difficult caches, there are days like this past Saturday where I just want to enjoy some drivebys and then other days I go for the variety. No matter what I feel like on a particular day I know I can always find something that meets my needs.

I do have a concern about water tight containers though in that not only does it keep water out, but it also keeps water and condensation in. I find there are just as many lock n lock and tupperware containers are are wet as there are caches in margarine containers. I really liked what was done on the Brantford rail trail power trail with putting a micro inside of a margarine or similar container. So even if water penetrates the outer container, the log usually remains dry in the inner container.

I do have to say I found that clever too. I've seen it done in ammo cans as well with lock-n-locks for larger log books. What's nice is nobody can put a pen in there and poke a hole in the baggy that way.

Wet cache is one thing that I can live with (ish). Wet logbook growing a new strain of penicillin on the other hand is just not enjoyable.

There is certainly a market for power trails, I know many people spending money to fly to places like Nevada to get their fix.

Number of visitors to a cache is just one metric to describe the "success" of the cache. Another is average log length. Another is favourite points. Another is photos posted.

I placed a power trail to be found. It has been found a lot. That to me would be a success.

Unfortunately better is a subjective term. Try to be more specific with something that can be quantified.

Would have good earlier. Oh well.

I'd love to see a response to Solitario R's question about watertight swag size maintained power trails in Ontario.

Then it becomes all about the numbers. Hardly an incentive to walk the rail to trails. At least not for me. :(

96b1fc9e-ce2b-4868-a886-5c02eb1fff30.jpg

Sorry about the fuzzy photo. Anyway, I found this on a PT rail to trail. The log is in the film canister - I didn't want to touch the moldy canister, but I did. I had some alcohol wipes with me to clean up afterwards. There's no point to placing a swag size container if you can't leave swag/trackables. May as well hang that film canister on a hook in a tree. There's no way I'd leave swag (or take swag) from a wet moldy jar.

Edited by Solitario R

Sorry about the fuzzy photo. Anyway, I found this on a PT rail to trail. The log is in the film canister - I didn't want to touch the moldy canister, but I did. I had some alcohol wipes with me to clean up afterwards. There's no point to placing a swag size container if you can't leave swag/trackables. May as well hang that film canister on a hook in a tree. There's no way I'd leave swag (or take swag) from a wet moldy jar.

would you have preferred the nice swag-size, watertight container hidden up in a hole in a tree with a big pile of poop on it?

i'll take the moldy container, please

Then it becomes all about the numbers. Hardly an incentive to walk the rail to trails. At least not for me. :(

what was that about not needing geocaching if all you want to do is hike/walk to a certain place? :unsure:

I placed a power trail to be found. It has been found a lot. That to me would be a success.

That's your measure of success sure. You are entitled to that opinion.

I have a different opinion.

Unfortunately better is a subjective term. Try to be more specific with something that can be quantified.

Better is subjective sure. In my case I was referring to containers that are watertight, tough enough to handle all seasons here without cracking, and large enough for trade items.

How's that?

I know of only one power trail in the area where most of the caches are water tight swag-size caches (i.e. you can leave at least a couple of travelbugs). Plus there's some variety to the types of hides and styles. That would be the Kissing Bridge power trail between Guelph and Millbank. Does anyone know of any other PTs in the area that are well maintained, use watertight containers, mostly travelbug size containers with a variety of cache hides and styles?

A great caching couple in Niagara has placed a Power Trail on the Bruce Trail that may offer exactly what you asking about. See Stashes Between Caches as an example.

While perhaps not a traditional power trail in the sense that has been discussed here (you don't seem to be looking for that anyway from where I sit), there are a number of them in a row on one of the greatest trails around.

Pretty much. Lining a trail with 50 amo can every 160 meters doesn't change the fact that you will find many caches in little time. Still about the numbers.

Your opinion of the deciding factor is irrelevant. I placed caches to be found by many people with minimal walking. Many people found the caches with minimal walking. Setting a goal and achieving that goal is success.

Better is subjective sure. In my case I was referring to containers that are watertight, tough enough to handle all seasons here without cracking, and large enough for trade items.

How's that?

Maybe you should have asked for that if that is what you want.

People, please stay on the original topic and not turn this into what defines a good or bad cache. There are plenty of threads for that. If you can't find one, then start one of you feel so strongly about it.

Pretty much. Lining a trail with 50 amo can every 160 meters doesn't change the fact that you will find many caches in little time. Still about the numbers.

Your opinion of the deciding factor is irrelevant. I placed caches to be found by many people with minimal walking. Many people found the caches with minimal walking. Setting a goal and achieving that goal is success.

How's that?

Maybe you should have asked for that if that is what you want.

I did. I supported this post originally which had the same description request.

People, please stay on the original topic and not turn this into what defines a good or bad cache. There are plenty of threads for that. If you can't find one, then start one of you feel so strongly about it.

Asking about a power trail with parameters IS on topic. The whole success/not success thing is off topic and my discussion on that was done with "I have a different opinion". You're the one that decided to insult me with the statement that my opinion is "irrelevant". Thank you for expressing that, it was a very positive contribution to the discussion at hand.

I want to know about power trails with containers of a specific type. That's on topic.

You're the one that decided to insult me with the statement that my opinion is "irrelevant". Thank you for expressing that, it was a very positive contribution to the discussion at hand.

Please leave any personal accusations out of the this forum thread. If you have personal issues with me or anyone else in the forum, take it off line or keep it to yourself and keep the forum polite.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

If you don't agree, feel free to send me a private message. Again, can we return to the topic at hand instead of discussing what the topic at hand is?

You're the one that decided to insult me with the statement that my opinion is "irrelevant". Thank you for expressing that, it was a very positive contribution to the discussion at hand.

Please leave any personal accusations out of the this forum thread. If you have personal issues with me or anyone else in the forum, take it off line or keep it to yourself and keep the forum polite.

3. Personal attacks and inflammatory behavior will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad. General attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

If you don't agree, feel free to send me a private message. Again, can we return to the topic at hand instead of discussing what the topic at hand is?

I'm not seeing a criticism on a person but rather a criticism about PT cache quality.

Edited by Solitario R