What happens when I kick the bucket?

drneal

I've made mention in past posts that my nephew gets my geocoin as provided by my will. I've saved activation codes (was this a waste of time?) with each of the coin tracking codes. Will it be possbible for him to perform a mass adoption? Will he simply need to have my account info so he can log in and adopt the coins from me to him?

For those snickering in the backround, I have quite a few coins, all activated,and at say $5 a coin on e-bay, this is a substantial inheritance.

Not planning on going anywhere in the very near future, but you never know...Max and Heine may have plans.............

ILYK
Edited by drneal

I've made mention in past posts that my nephew gets my geocoin as provided by my will. I've saved activation codes (was this a waste of time?) with each of the coin tracking codes. Will it be possbible for him to perform a mass adoption? Will he simply need to have my account info so he can log in and adopt the coins from me to him?

For those snickering in the backround, I have quite a few coins, all activated,and at say $5 a coin on e-bay, this is a substantial inheritance.

Not planning on going anywhere in the very near future, but you never know...Max and Heine may have plans.............

If he doesn't already have a geocaching.com account, then the easiest thing would be to ask if GC could change your account name to one of his choosing - he'd get all the coins in one go, but he'd also get your caches, and anything else against your account.

Edited by keewee

Just got done the other day listening to an extensive topic on NPR about handling one's digital life and how it is done. There are a few books out, and some websites that can halp one prepare for that(one of them stores all your usernames and passwords and forwards them to a designated person), but one place to start looking is in the GS policies. If they don't have any in place, it's a fine time to start coming up with some. Geocachers have already passed from our midst, and more will in the future.

My guess is if your account info where also in the will then he can handle everything on his own. Its probably a good idea to have all online accounts listed in your will so your family can tie up any loose ends.

Many lawyers are not yet including digital media in wills, since there is a contract involved between the user(the deceased) and the company. It's very complicated in some cases, and the laws need to get caught up.

I have to admit, I laughed when I read the title only because this subject was addressed to my family at one time a few months back when some joking around was going on.

I told my family they better take good care of my dogs and make sure that if they had to find them a home, they all went together otherwise I'd haunt them, lol :D

Being that my family knows absolutely nothing of caching and geocoins (only that I design them), I said you can figure out the worth of the stuff in my home but don't give away the geocoins they are worth lots of money :) Now to teach them how ebay works :P

I've saved activation codes (was this a waste of time?) with each of the coin tracking codes.

You don't need the activation code to adopt a traveler, you just need access to the owner account and the reference number (located in the upper left corner of the traveler page)

I have instructions to give access to my bugs and caches to a long-time local who I trust implicitly.

ILYK

I've had the honor to see some of your collection and it's massive!! I think it will take your nephew weeks if not months to adopt all of the coins. I'd make sure he has your log in info. By the way, Max and Heineken know how good they got it and would never harm you!

My nephew has been geocaching about the same amount of time that I have, and has released, and collected geocoins (little **** even has a couple of coins I don't, and refuses all trades...I'm so proud!)

He has a copy of my login ID and password, but I still would like to know if there will be an easier way for him to adopt the coins. If not, he'll have something to keep him busy and out of trouble for a while!

ILYK

My nephew has been geocaching about the same amount of time that I have, and has released, and collected geocoins (little **** even has a couple of coins I don't, and refuses all trades...I'm so proud!)

He has a copy of my login ID and password, but I still would like to know if there will be an easier way for him to adopt the coins. If not, he'll have something to keep him busy and out of trouble for a while!

ILYK

Adopting out requires that the owner account submits the reference number of the traveler to the receiver by using the page: http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Why don´t ask geocaching.com if they can easily do this mass-adoption for you? Maybee they´ll agree and do it as an exception....

Problem is, when the time comes, I wont be asking aanybody for much of anything (although I hope to be on tsun's facebook list by then, and plan to continue buying coins!)

ILYK

drneal-you have somehow taken a morbid subject and turned it into something funny. I wasn't "snickering" about the subject, I was just amazed that you are that organized to have thought about that subject. Although I have never seen your collection, I have seen enough picture postings to know you have a ton of Geocoins! Afterall, I did have you for Lorca's Winter Mission and I was sweatin' bullets to come up with some Geocoins you didn't have! :unsure: All I can say is lucky nephew!

Estate planning is not for the old - it is for anyone who is of adult age majority! One never knows what path life's journey make take you on and how suddenly it may end (as I am sure Dr. Neal knows and my family most recently learned with the loss of a 30 yo). There is much more than the old stuff to worry about today.

Accounts on line (facebook, GC, linkedin, tweet, my space) and the like. More than just Geocoins but this is a great reason to open this discussion. Perhaps it isn't unreasonable to ask GC.com about Estate planning as it relates to their site and the ownership of Geocoins, travelers and caches. Something they may be willing to help with and work on.

As for dogs and their ownership, Ralph and I have accounted for ours in our wills. There is no question, in our case, who shall become legal owner(s) and who also shall benefit from the transition financially (should our dog survive us). As for AKC dogs, the AKC does have a POA form available for owners too. Just remember a POA is no longer valid upon someone's death.

This is good stuff here in discussion..........and I would love to see GC.com become involved in some guidelines for folks doing Estate and long term planning in this regard.

As for all the other places, sites and considerations, all we can do it take one thing at a time and do our planning.

Thanks for bringing this topic up Dr. Neal!

Estate planning is not for the old - it is for anyone who is of adult age majority! One never knows what path life's journey make take you on and how suddenly it may end (as I am sure Dr. Neal knows and my family most recently learned with the loss of a 30 yo).

yup indeedy - have emailed link to this thread to rosthafari. personally I maintain a secure database of all website accounts and passwords, as well as a database of all my geocoins ( hmmm which initially included the purchase price but i got slack about that ) which is accessible on my demise. It would be best if disposing of a large collection if a knowledgeable coiner was nominated to provide advice/help

I've been absent from these forums for some time - largely due to getting to grips with health issues

and getting some of the 'bucket list attended to' (we are all 'terminally ill' if you want to look at it that way - the length of the 'illness' is what is indeterminate - bon chance all!)

Edited by forthferalz

can't find the mention now (I'll assume it was edited out for some reason,) but if Groundspeak is takinga look at this post, not exactly coin related, but how long does an account remain open after passing, who can close that account if it would be requested...or am I simply opening an unwanted can of dead worms?

ILYK

can't find the mention now (I'll assume it was edited out for some reason,) but if Groundspeak is takinga look at this post, not exactly coin related, but how long does an account remain open after passing, who can close that account if it would be requested...or am I simply opening an unwanted can of dead worms?

ILYK

Dr Neal - I hope what you have opened it not an "unwanted can of dead worms"! I, for one, would like to have Groundspeak establish some concrete guidelines on this!

AKC (American Kennel Club) has done so and there are even AKC Guidelines for POAs and death. And folks - what about if you are not dead but can not function (POA is really important). POA is also not valid after your death.

All this is heavy stuff but Dr. Neal and others know - important to plan for and no time is to early.

Hope to hear/see GS step up to the plate here with a position statement if no more than planning is in process.

Estate planning is not for the old - it is for anyone who is of adult age majority! One never knows what path life's journey make take you on and how suddenly it may end (as I am sure Dr. Neal knows and my family most recently learned with the loss of a 30 yo).

yup indeedy - have emailed link to this thread to rosthafari. personally I maintain a secure database of all website accounts and passwords, as well as a database of all my geocoins ( hmmm which initially included the purchase price but i got slack about that ) which is accessible on my demise. It would be best if disposing of a large collection if a knowledgeable coiner was nominated to provide advice/help

I've been absent from these forums for some time - largely due to getting to grips with health issues

and getting some of the 'bucket list attended to' (we are all 'terminally ill' if you want to look at it that way - the length of the 'illness' is what is indeterminate - bon chance all!)

Oh my, I know about a data base with the purchase prices, I had one - mine has falled sadly behind. But I will get caught up. You are very right - no one (even the owner) should attempt to dispose of Geocoins without knowing their original cost.

Health issues can happen at any time. I am sorry to hear, you have been recently dealing with issues. Hope all is well, things are improving or you may be stable. I love your statement about terminally ill!

Yes, we are all working on the terminally illness which begins with life called living which ends with dieing - then enter other extranesous issues which may invade us such as illnesses and lest us not forget the horror (for families and friends) of unexpected accident or illness.

Lest us all cease the day we rise in the Morning and rest our head at Night! Rejoice - another day for living AND caching!

Estate/life planning is not for the elderly, disabled, infirmed, or anyone special. From the age of adulthood, we should all establish a plan, review it frequently and revise it according to life's changes.

Now - it would be nice to see Groundspeak address these needs, as well, in a policy statement, guidelines, suggestions, etc.

Edited by hollora

Why don´t ask geocaching.com if they can easily do this mass-adoption for you? Maybee they´ll agree and do it as an exception....

Problem is, when the time comes, I wont be asking aanybody for much of anything (although I hope to be on tsun's facebook list by then, and plan to continue buying coins!)

ILYK

Someone will have to write a program that can have your "Estate" continue posting in the Mailbox Thread.

drneal - I'm glad you're not planning to go anywhere anytime soon. :) This is a good question so we've updated our Knowledge Book article on adoptions of trackables. It works much the same as caches owned by accounts as well.

Regarding the account, we actually do not remove accounts from the system. They can be 'disabled' but the profile page remains on the website.

drneal - I'm glad you're not planning to go anywhere anytime soon. :) This is a good question so we've updated our Knowledge Book article on adoptions of trackables. It works much the same as caches owned by accounts as well.

Regarding the account, we actually do not remove accounts from the system. They can be 'disabled' but the profile page remains on the website.

Good info - thank you for this post!

Wow - it is great the Groundspeak are so responsive! Great job guys and gals.

This is a really great topic. Thanks for bringing up the 'inevitable' drneal. I hope everything is well with you though...you had me worried!

We are flying home to Canada soon and well I guess you never know what could happen. It is good to have a contingency plan in place. I do keep a spreadsheet of data for all of my coins. As soon as they are purchased I input the price, seller, date, etc. and when I receive them in goes the codes for activation. So I am fairly set up in that regard. Now, who do I leave them to?