Alabama souvenir? balloons?

Rick618

Several of the AL cachers are puzzled as to how hot air balloons were picked as the symbols to represent our state? There are at least two festivals, one in Foley and one in Decatur that have them but I don't think of neither of them when I'm asked about my home state.

Black bears are a state symbol, the butterfly is right, and I'm guessing that the pink balloon is a camellia, but I'm not sure what the grapes are about. Peaches would have been a better choice.

Does anyone else around the country think of hot air balloons when they think of AL? Actually, the few balloonists I know prefer the west over our goofy weather.

Cotton, camellias, pine trees, rockets/space shuttle, iron ore/steel, the battleship, the black belt, caves, wave pool, etc. come to mind way before a hot air balloon.

http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Alabama/State-Symbols-Alabama.html

9c52e6da-e3f6-42fb-aa4f-12a861ddefb9.png

I feel your pain.

Who is coming up with these things? and would it have been too hard to ask "us" cachers what we think of that represents our states?

Yeah. Ca is pretty bad too. A silhouette of the state with a CA over it. Genius :rolleyes:

Here is the California one. It's a little more than that

cb5bbd22-1aa1-497a-8d2a-e478a9ba1602.png

Edited by briansnat

I would like to see what Washington's looks like?

It hasn't been released yet. There are still 9 more states to be released before Washington State is released. Here are the remaining states to be released, in the order they will come out.

Oregon

Kansas

West Virginia

Nevada

Nebraska

Colorado

North Dakota

South Dakota

Montana

Washington

Idaho

Wyoming

Utah

Oklahoma

New Mexico

Arizona

Alaska

Hawaii

Yeah, they come out nice and slow for fear of breaking the geocaching website if they release it all at once.

And there is a pretty good indication that is what happened when GS released 10 souvenirs at once instead of just three at a time. An issue was posted on the Feedback site about some not receiving the Florida and Iowa souvenirs an I got email message today that an issue was filed in the internal issue tracking system to see what went wrong.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

Looking into the future hopefully Wyoming has none of the following:

The Tetons

Yellowstone

Devils Tower

Bucking Horse with Rider

The first three are overused and are only occupy small corners of the state and are therefore not all that representational. The latter is trademarked by the state and requires a license to use.

Of all things, I'd actually like to see the buck rail fence from the old gold and brown license plates incorporated into the souvenir image somehow.

Actually looked at the souvenir from my profile link and saw this next to the image, looks like Roxxy did several of them. Answers part of the question, but still leads to who proofed it and thought it was good?

Artist Name: Roxxy G.

About the Artist: Roxxy G. is a Groundspeak Lackey. In her free time she likes to travel and meet new people. When she’s not happily making artwork for cachers everywhere, she designs and crochets small monsters.

Add Tennessee to the ever-expanding list of sorry efforts. A jukebox? Really? Can the author even find Tennessee on a map?

I kinda liked the Vermont souvenir, and can understand why some might not like the one of Tennessee (it really needed a bottle of JD on it), but have you seen the one for New Hampshire? A picture of a voting ballot?

I also liked the MD souvenir and the Maine moose is nice. I also liked the Baden-Wurttemberg souvenir.

Add Tennessee to the ever-expanding list of sorry efforts. A jukebox? Really? Can the author even find Tennessee on a map?

I kinda liked the Vermont souvenir

The problem with teh VT (IMO) is that it could be just anywhere. Why not a panorama view of the fall colors, with the quaint Vermont town nestled in among the trees, with the obligitory white church steepl?

I suspect the Texas one will be sort of predictable and boring, because Texans have been good about pushing their iconography... but I'm holding out for something hilariously awful. Maybe an armadillo wearing an Alex Jones shirt sitting on the back of a longhorn with two pistols and a lone star shining behind him. lol

... but I'm not sure what the grapes are about....

Looks more like a blackberry to me (huckleberry?).

I agree, I don't see grapes

Edited by d+n.s

I kinda liked the Vermont souvenir

The problem with teh VT (IMO) is that it could be just anywhere. Why not a panorama view of the fall colors, with the quaint Vermont town nestled in among the trees, with the obligitory white church steepl?

I agree that the fall colors icon is not limited to VT (it's pretty spectacular here in September/October) but Vermont is certainly a mecca for leaf peepers. The obligatory while church steeple would probably have been more appropriate, especially if it was covered in Maple syrup.

BTW, I though the RI souvenir was pretty nice as well.

I hadn't looked at the writeup about the NY souvenir until just now. Pretty short, but I'm impressed that it's not focused on NYC - it's almost as though someone at the lillypad knows that there's more to NY than the city (try being a job-hunter in upstate NY - every headhunter assumes you're in midtown Manhattan because your address is "NY").

I suspect the Texas one will be sort of predictable and boring, because Texans have been good about pushing their iconography... but I'm holding out for something hilariously awful. Maybe an armadillo wearing an Alex Jones shirt sitting on the back of a longhorn with two pistols and a lone star shining behind him. lol

I agree, I don't see grapes

Texas souvenir is a longhorn.

In a stretch, Alabama's could be a blackberry. Definitely not a huckleberry.

Without entering the debate about the US state souvenirs and how (in)appropriate some of them are, or aren't, I'll mention that I've just enjoyed clicking through the ones on BBWolf+3pigs profile to view quite a collection of them. That's the most I've seen in one place so far. I wish there was somewhere to go and view the whole library of souvenirs released so far but if it exists then I haven't found it yet.

MrsB

Without entering the debate about the US state souvenirs and how (in)appropriate some of them are, or aren't, I'll mention that I've just enjoyed clicking through the ones on BBWolf+3pigs profile to view quite a collection of them. That's the most I've seen in one place so far. I wish there was somewhere to go and view the whole library of souvenirs released so far but if it exists then I haven't found it yet.

MrsB

+1..

Yes I've looked for a "souvenir library" to see the ones that are mentioned here. All the ones I've gotten so far seem appropriate for the state and some are quite nice.. MD, DE, VA, NC, SC, GA... But just like caches, art & music.. everyone has their own ideas on quality.

MrsB

I agree. Moun10Bike has an even larger collection than BBWolf+3pigs. By my calculations there have been 67 souvenirs released. Since JYoungman has been the primary souvenir liason from Groundspeak I think she should add all souvenirs to her profile or some special Groundspeak account (I'm pretty sure veeners isn't taken) set up which has all of the available souvenirs.

As I see it, souvenirs are a type of collectable (even if we're just collecting virtual artwork). When you think of other things people collect like stamps, coins, baseball cards, etc. it's usually very common to have some sort of "registry" of everything that's available. Then one can look at their own collection and compare it to what's available, determine the "rare" items, and set goals for building up personal souvenir collections.

So far, *many* of the souvenirs have been created for the masses. Pretty much everyone has the 10/10/10 souvenir and there are probably thousands of geocachers that have the California and even the one for Ceská Republika is probably a "gimme" for Czech Republic geocachers. I'd like to see more "rare" souvenirs, for example, souvenirs for the wonders of the world, natural wonders of the world, etc. I though it might be cool to see how many other geocachers have been awarded certain souvenirs, and I suspect that there is a subset of geocachers that like to go after "lonely geocaches" that would also like to obtain rare souvenirs.

It's a dewberry, if you're Alabamian ;) but fine, show dewberries, but why a dewberry balloon?

Balloons belong on the New Mexico souvenir.

We have dewberries and blackberries (huckleberries and wild blueberries, too) in south Alabama. :)

I associate balloons more with New Mexico, too.

A few people have asked about a page showing the art for the souvenirs. We have a post on the blog displaying the released souvenirs:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2010/11/geocaching-com-souvenirs/

As an aside to NYPaddleCacher, I'm a "he." Note the facial hair on my lackey icon.

You're missing Sachsen-Anhalt on the blog. And despite the Iowa being listed, I still don't have it in my profile.

Born and raised in tuscaloosa, and ... yeah there are a lot... a lot of things that come to mind before hot air balloons.

cotton, college football, Gulf Shores, space and rocket center, Iron Mountain, Vulcan, pine trees, coal, BBQ...

Yeah, I agree. Have to admit that I don't understand that one.

You were born and raised in Tuscaloosa? I knew something wasn't right about you. :laughing::anibad: (You know I'm kidding, and War Eagle.)

I kind of thought it was a nice change of pace from Helen Keller and a boil weevil. I would have put the Saturn V rocket on the horizon, but that's just me. Honestly I can't think of a logical image that isn't just a collage of smaller images that would represent more of the state and I'm really glad that the souvenirs have been more interesting that just collages.

A few people have asked about a page showing the art for the souvenirs. We have a post on the blog displaying the released souvenirs:

http://blog.geocaching.com/2010/11/geocaching-com-souvenirs/

As an aside to NYPaddleCacher, I'm a "he." Note the facial hair on my lackey icon.

Sorry about that. I thought I had received email from you signed "Jessica". I see now that it was something I had responded to you about with your handle in the subject list but the response came from another lackey.

I still think you should add all of the souvenirs to your profile or have a pseudo account setup that has all of them included.

Nice blog post though.

Born and raised in tuscaloosa, and ... yeah there are a lot... a lot of things that come to mind before hot air balloons.

cotton, college football, Gulf Shores, space and rocket center, Iron Mountain, Vulcan, pine trees, coal, BBQ...

Yeah, I agree. Have to admit that I don't understand that one.

You were born and raised in Tuscaloosa? I knew something wasn't right about you. :laughing::anibad: (You know I'm kidding, and War Eagle.)

:P You are so lucky I moved to Texas. Roll Tide!

. . . but have you seen the one for New Hampshire? A picture of a voting ballot?
84544af1-5047-4fc0-ab71-176e7f399617.png

No kidding!!

Since Dixville Notch & Hart's Location, the two towns being recognized by this souvenir, have a combined population of under 120 people, and the entire state has a population of over 1.3 million, it seems the souvenir doesn't really represent the people who live here. Not even a tenth of a percent of the population! I suppose that since the Ballot says "New Hampshire Primary" on it, that it does more than recognize the towns that vote first, but then, it represents an event that happens during election day. There's 365 days in the year. Many other more interesting things going on in the state throughout the year.

Most of the other state souvenirs show something that people might actually want to see or do when they visit the state. Nobody's going to come to the state to vote, it'd be ballot fraud if they did!

What, then, should the picture be? Not very original, because everyone seems to use it, but what about the Old Man? Despite him being gone, he's still the state symbol. Mount Washington? Many people travel here to spend time outdoors, something reflecting that may have been appropriate. So many interesting things in the state, but a ballot box?

Bleagh. . .

Edited by Too Tall John