driving in Jordan

kallehaugerne

We are going to Jordan and want to go geocaching of course. Does anybody have any experiences with driving in Jordan? We want to rent a car. I don't feel safe with other drivers at all (after a car accident) so I guess it's not an opportunity to hire a taxi for a whole day. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all :( Is it completely madness :ph34r: to be a driver i Jordan ?

Middle Eastern drivers are in general, a little "wilder", than most US or European drivers - so be prepared to "think" for the other drivers too. They may not make rational decisions according to your mind - e.g. turning in front of you - cutting across lanes on a highway - driving three abreast in urban streets made for 2 or even three cars.

Street signs are generally in arabic and english - but be prepared for some signs only being in arabic - or the english names to be spelled phonetically and not looking the same as the map you are following.

Not all people speak english - so you may have some probolems getting directions from locals.

The road network is actually pretty good to most of the areas - Petra, Aqaba, Wadi rum, Amman, Mt Nebo, Dead Sea etc. - so a sedan car should take you to the bulk of places.

Traffic police - although not extremely prevalent - will normally require a spot payment for traffic violations.

But according to my Jordanian colleague (note I have not travelled there yet - but plan to soon) driving is very easy for tourists and gives flexibility. There are also "drivers" you can hire for a few days rather than a taxi.

enjoy

A friend and I went to Jordan in 2008 for a kind of guided tour for two :-) and we really enjoyed the work the driver did for us!

The pros: no hassle at the numerous miltary and police check points along the dead sea and elsewhere, no hassle with finding a

petrol pump, no hassle at the hotels with getting a comfortable room or at the ticket offices. Of course you pay for it but

you get quite some comfort in return. and the perhaps the most important thing: you can enjoy the car ride itself and enjoy

the nicer pubs and restaurants :-)

The cons: you pay for it. Maybe you should contact an travel agency experienced in Middle East travels beforehand.