Picked up first geocoin but previous holder hasn't dropped it into the cache

Disreputable Dogs

I have read all the info on geocoins and searched this forum but couldn't find the answer so apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Yesterday I picked up my first geocoin and came home to log my find. Only problem is the person who had it last has logged their visit to the cache but hasn't registered the coin as dropped there. I 'grabbed it' from them but now realise that the coin owners can't see where it has been. Did I do the right thing? What should I do now? It s a 'Remembering the Fallen' coin so I feel it is quite important.

Thanks in advance for any help,

L

It's not an easy one to answer, but I would normally leave doing a grab for at least few days as sometimes people are doing a caching trip and it may be up to a week for them to log what they've done, or they're still working through their notes to work out what was dropped where. You can always use the features of the geocaching website to contact the person who is holding the geocoin and politely ask whether they are going to "drop" it in a cache. They may have forgotten which cache they physically left it in.

In this instance you could dip the geocoin in the cache you found it in so that it gets the miles, etc.

I have read all the info on geocoins and searched this forum but couldn't find the answer so apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere.

Yesterday I picked up my first geocoin and came home to log my find. Only problem is the person who had it last has logged their visit to the cache but hasn't registered the coin as dropped there. I 'grabbed it' from them but now realise that the coin owners can't see where it has been. Did I do the right thing? What should I do now? It s a 'Remembering the Fallen' coin so I feel it is quite important.

L

As you noted, they already logged their caches for the day. So they probably forgot they dropped the trackable there. You did the right thing by grabbing it. If you want to keep the record straight, have the coin visit the cache you got it from to give it credit for being there. Whenever you drop it, be sure to log that.

L

As you noted, they already logged their caches for the day. So they probably forgot they dropped the trackable there. You did the right thing by grabbing it. If you want to keep the record straight, have the coin visit the cache you got it from to give it credit for being there. Whenever you drop it, be sure to log that.

I would suggest contacting the person that held the coin first before "grabbing" it. I am sure it was an oops that they forgot to log it into the cache, but as someone who has been guilty of this, it is always appreciated when I am permitted to fix my mistake (ie: post a note to the cache dropping the coin in) instead of someone else grabbing it and dipping it back into the cache (one of my pet peeves...kind-of feels insulting to me when someone does this to me...like I got busted by the teacher doing something bad). I think it is a more true representation of what actually happened when I can drop it than someone grabbing it from me. If a few days pass and you get no reponse, then grab it. The only downside...you will not be able to drop it in a cache until the "dropping" is resolved.

L

I would suggest contacting the person that held the coin first before "grabbing" it. I am sure it was an oops that they forgot to log it into the cache, but as someone who has been guilty of this, it is always appreciated when I am permitted to fix my mistake (ie: post a note to the cache dropping the coin in) instead of someone else grabbing it and dipping it back into the cache (one of my pet peeves...kind-of feels insulting to me when someone does this to me...like I got busted by the teacher doing something bad). I think it is a more true representation of what actually happened when I can drop it than someone grabbing it from me. If a few days pass and you get no reponse, then grab it. The only downside...you will not be able to drop it in a cache until the "dropping" is resolved.

Hmmm, interesting POV. I'll think about it.

Seems to me, either way its like 'got busted doing something bad'. But if I contact the person, I worry more about the confrontation of it, than if I just fix it and get it moving again for the traveler's sake. On the other hand, I got into a tug of war over a trackable once, so that didn't go so well either. I guess the trick is to write a <nice> e-mail :anicute: See, my concern goes the other way... why wasn't it logged promptly and properly. If a person has time to log the caches, then surely they can log the travelers (especially drops); in my thoughts, the travelers are even more important than the caches. Logging a cache helps you increase your find count; logging a traveler tells someone else that you care. If the cacher doesn't have any/many trackables in their account, they might not know what to do, and a bit of education is called for (in which case I usually do contact them). If they have trackables, then it was just a mistake, so I am just trying to correct it and move on. Also it might matter to me if they are local and I know them from an event, or if they are just passing through.

(And really, I am not being confrontational here, I really am interested in this).

L

Hmmm, interesting POV. I'll think about it.

Seems to me, either way its like 'got busted doing something bad'. But if I contact the person, I worry more about the confrontation of it, than if I just fix it and get it moving again for the traveler's sake. On the other hand, I got into a tug of war over a trackable once, so that didn't go so well either. I guess the trick is to write a <nice> e-mail :anicute: See, my concern goes the other way... why wasn't it logged promptly and properly. If a person has time to log the caches, then surely they can log the travelers (especially drops); in my thoughts, the travelers are even more important than the caches. Logging a cache helps you increase your find count; logging a traveler tells someone else that you care. If the cacher doesn't have any/many trackables in their account, they might not know what to do, and a bit of education is called for (in which case I usually do contact them). If they have trackables, then it was just a mistake, so I am just trying to correct it and move on. Also it might matter to me if they are local and I know them from an event, or if they are just passing through.

(And really, I am not being confrontational here, I really am interested in this).

I can't see why contacting them would be confrontational. In fact, if anything, grabbing a geocoin out of the blue is more likely to cause aggravation than sending a nice, polite nudge email.