Unhappy Cache neighbour and wet caches

Found a few caches today on my 2nd day of GCing.

I had a neighbour of one cache complain because he had asked several in "your organization" to move it, as it was interfering with his privacy....even tho it is on public property. How is this handled?

Also, 2 of the caches found were too wet to record....one was a micro cache and the scroll was soaked....there was no way i was going to remove it, because I would never get it back in. What should I do about this?

Look forward to the answers...Mr. Chanterelle

I had a neighbour of one cache complain because he had asked several in "your organization" to move it, as it was interfering with his privacy....even tho it is on public property. How is this handled?

Also, 2 of the caches found were too wet to record....one was a micro cache and the scroll was soaked....there was no way i was going to remove it, because I would never get it back in. What should I do about this?

For wet caches just don't sign them, or get one of those expensive pens that writes on anything.

For the neighbor, someone will chime in soon about how it's a misunderstanding, and someone should remove it, followed by a response saying that it's on public property and other people who are not geocachers use it followed by a response saying that it doesn't matter because it changes the perception of the public on geocaches and then it'll go on for about a few pages before it dies down.

For wet caches just don't sign them, or get one of those expensive pens that writes on anything.

For the neighbor, someone will chime in soon about how it's a misunderstanding, and someone should remove it, followed by a response saying that it's on public property and other people who are not geocachers use it followed by a response saying that it doesn't matter because it changes the perception of the public on geocaches and then it'll go on for about a few pages before it dies down.

1. Carry a supply of various size replacement logs or take a photo (to send to the CO so they know the status of their cache.) You could log a needs maintenance note but initially an email direct is a good route most of the time.

2. Ignore Coldgears and his pessimism. Send a note to the CO explaining your encounter with the neighbor. Let the CO take it from there.

Welcome to geocaching!

Wow! You had quite a day for only your 2nd day of caching! They won't all be like that... I promise!

As for the neighbor, I think it would be prudent to let the cache owner know. True, it was public property and the neighbor has no right to insist that the cache be removed, but 1) it makes for bad will toward "our organization" (I got a huge laugh out of that!!) 2) it's no fun for cachers to be faced with that sort of confrontation, and 3) the neighbor may very well take things into his own hand and confiscate the cache anyway.

We logs do happen, especially in the winter. Generally, it is considered acceptable, under those conditions, to go ahead and claim a find, stating in your log why you were unable to sign. Few cache owners will find that unacceptable. Some cachers will add a small temporary log, but odds are, that will be wet in a few hours of sitting next to the other one.

Does that help?

+1 regarding the wet logbook/sheet.

Regarding the neighbor; regardless of whether it is on Public or Private property, I believe *courtesy*, which is a cornerstone of Geocaching, dictates that the cache be moved or Archived.

My 0.02 :)

I don't know about courtesy. Have you ever seen a pack of FTF hounds fighting it out. I had one claim a FTF on a cache of mine but didn't sign the log. Then threw a fit on the cache page when I denied her claim.

2. Ignore Coldgears and his pessimism.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me hate these forums. I wasn't being pessimistic, I was just giving the viewpoints of everyone who was going to respond.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me hate these forums. I wasn't being pessimistic, I was just giving the viewpoints of everyone who was going to respond.

I'd say Coldgears nailed it. It's not pessimism, it's realism. :)

See? There is that pessimism again. Show a little positive attitude. You positively knew that someone was gonna post something like that. :anitongue::laughing:

Regarding the wet log;

•  
  • Leave the cache as is to prevent damage to log. (In larger caches logs are easier to replace, smaller ones could get damaged.)
  • If I wanted to log it as found I would take a picture. (I usually have a digital camera with me, others may have a phone)
  • Log cache as found, uploading the photo I took as proof of find. (Otherwise come back to the cache after the CO has done maintenance.)
  • Log a note on the cache that it needs maintenance.

regarding the neighbor;

I agree with many that the integrity of the sport we call geocaching is at stake here. We have to keep its' reputation in mind at all times, otherwise it could get ugly. So looking at the rules for creating a cache I found the following to perhaps help...

Guidelines that Apply to all Cache Types

For all physical caches and waypoints, think carefully about how your container and the actions of geocachers will be perceived by the public. Be respectful when considering cache and waypoint placements in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites or cemeteries). For example, a cache hidden in full view of office or apartment building windows exposes a geocacher to being seen by someone who may think the cache search looks suspicious. Your cache may be hidden on public property with permission, but there may be concerned residents on the other side of that property line. And, while an ammo box or PVC pipe may be a great container if hidden deep in the woods, it may cause alarm if discovered in an urban setting. A clear plastic container or a microcache may be a better choice. In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape. To reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache. Cover over any military markings with paint or a geocache sticker. Include an explanatory "stash note" inside your cache. Common sense in selecting hiding spots and containers can reduce the risk of your cache being perceived as a danger to those who are unaware of our sport.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TheArtisan

Nice look at the guidelines there. But it still doesn't tell us what you think should be done when confronted with the situation.

Easy enough...

The neighbor in question already knows something about whats going on, and exactly what it is he's asking to be removed. Just explain to him that there are measures in place for dealing with such things, and that a message will be posted to the CO. Then, stay true to your word, and leave the CO a message (note) explaining what you encountered. But honestly, other than trying to get the neighbor involved in geocaching, there isn't much more you can do if your not the CO. :)

Since you already left the location, unless you want to go back and argue with the neighbor again, steer clear, post in your log the neighbor was not happy with the placement of the cache, and he may hassle future cachers looking for this cache.

If this situation happens to you again, heres what I would do.

Explain to the neighbor the game of geocaching as a nerdy treasure hunt which uses gps coordinantes to find treasure boxes which are hidden by other nerds who want to get out in the woods, but dont venture far off the beaten path for fear of snake bites, and yellow feaver, besides they have to get back to their jobs at the post office, and the bank soon anyway.

Show the neighbor the cache, its contents, and tell him if he still is not interested in having the cache where it is, you will show him the email (log) you are writing stating he is not interested in. Tell him if he removes the cache, it does not guarentee people will not come looking for it for a while longer, and if the cache is missing some people will actually look harder for it. (this will hopefully deter him from stealing it, but show him what it is people are sneaking around looking for)

After all that it is no longer your problem to move the cache or anything else. You did all you could, it is now up to the CO to do something, which should be to move the cache, in honor of the neighbor, no cache is worth confrontation, in my opinion.

Yep, my steps have been pretty well covered already.

Wet log: After logging my Find I would post a Needs Maintenance log.

Neighbour: In my log I would describe the encounter, both so the cache owner and future seekers know what the situation is. If I am looking for caches and I see mentions of encounters with nearby property owners I'll simply Ignore that cache and never bother looking for it.

Public property or not, there are so many great places for Geocaches there isn't really a point in placing them in view of people who often take a dim view of our hobby.

why get an expensive pen when the ones with gel ink, found at the dollar store, write on anything?

as for the neighbors claim that his privacy is disturbed, well i don't buy that, if its outside his property line there's nothing he can do about it, he can't really stop any kind of traffic beyond his yard

now, having said that i think its a very bad idea to put caches near people's properties, makes me really uncomfortable searching for a cache when its too close to someone's home and even more so when the location is totally exposed to their view, gave up a few searches because of this very reason

if i were the CO i would move the cache, the neighbor seems a nice person, he could have removed it himself by now

Edited by t4e

Regarding the neighbor; regardless of whether it is on Public or Private property, I believe *courtesy*, which is a cornerstone of Geocaching, dictates that the cache be moved or Archived.

"Cache be moved or archived" BY THE CACHE OWNER. If it's not your cache, leave it alone and let the owner or local reviewer handle the problem.

"Cache be moved or archived" BY THE CACHE OWNER. If it's not your cache, leave it alone and let the owner or local reviewer handle the problem.

Touchstone didn't say he would remove it himself, just that it should be moved or archived.

Since you already left the location, unless you want to go back and argue with the neighbor again, steer clear, post in your log the neighbor was not happy with the placement of the cache, and he may hassle future cachers looking for this cache.

If this situation happens to you again, heres what I would do.

Explain to the neighbor the game of geocaching as a nerdy treasure hunt which uses gps coordinantes to find treasure boxes which are hidden by other nerds who want to get out in the woods, but dont venture far off the beaten path for fear of snake bites, and yellow feaver, besides they have to get back to their jobs at the post office, and the bank soon anyway.

Show the neighbor the cache, its contents, and tell him if he still is not interested in having the cache where it is, you will show him the email (log) you are writing stating he is not interested in. Tell him if he removes the cache, it does not guarentee people will not come looking for it for a while longer, and if the cache is missing some people will actually look harder for it. (this will hopefully deter him from stealing it, but show him what it is people are sneaking around looking for)

After all that it is no longer your problem to move the cache or anything else. You did all you could, it is now up to the CO to do something, which should be to move the cache, in honor of the neighbor, no cache is worth confrontation, in my opinion.

Please please please do not show non-cachers where the cache is hidden. It will only increase the chances that it goes missing. I'd agree with most everything else in this post except the focus on the nerd herd. Lots of people from lots of background geocache for lots of different reasons over widely varied terrain.

Touchstone didn't say he would remove it himself, just that it should be moved or archived.

I don't think I made that claim. Just offering up useless advice like everyone else around here. Looks like its resolved.

I don't think I made that claim. Just offering up useless advice like everyone else around here. Looks like its resolved.

I don't think it was useless advice. Let's not forget that the OP mentioned it was only his second day of caching, and it wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibility for a newbie to read Touchstone's message and assume that the seeker should move or Archive the cache himself. I think adding the part about moving or Archiving a cache being the owner's responsibility was a very good thing to make blatantly clear.