Trading items for travel bugs...yes or no? oppinions needed about this :)

geeyo

I have heard good arguements on both sides of the fence about trading items for travel bugs or not.I thought it would be good to start a thread about this subject because I have heard it mentioned from time to time, and Im curious too. icon_rolleyes.gif

If the etiquette is to trade something for the finding of a travel bug, what would be the proper value of an item to trade for the taking?

Personally im new to this...I have been keeping track of cache activity around my area for some time now...and im getting my new GPS unit this week! icon_biggrin.gif

Feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Geeyo

Geeyo, I posted this on another thread. I meant to start one like this. Glad you did:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by TMAN264:

Ok, let me add fuel to the fire. Where do Travel Bugs fit in the scheme of an equitable trade? If I take a sleeve of new golf balls, is it fair to leave Skunk-o the TB? I know that the golf balls cost $2-5 depending on the type, but I will have use of them (until I lose them in the woods again, this time with no co-ords). I am leaving Skunk-o, but the whole idea of a TB is too perpetuate it's movement, therefore the finder will eventually (hopefully) be moving him on.

Now TB's add to your stats on your "my cache" page, and I find them fun to track. When I find a cache with a TB in it, that is what I will take. TB's hold a type of equity to me. I am looking for opinons regarding what a TB is worth to you, and where it falls in the realm of the original question.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMAN, I like your question because it has been on my mind and I haven't looked really hard for a thread on it. I'm guessing this should be a whole other thread, but here goes:

First off; I'm one of those "seek only for the seeking" types and I'm guilty for posting that on another thread. That said, I have made a trade at every cache except one, or two, that I can think of. Sometimes I have traded up and sometimes I have traded down. It matters not to me because 98.9% will go back into another cache. I have adopted one rule that I got from another cacher; If there's change, or money in the cache (Not Where's George $$) it's mine. I assume that the last cacher left it to help pay my toll charges, or gas. (See my thread: What has Geocaching Cost you)

Now to the travel bug question: IMHO, A travel bug is personal property that has been left in public trust, therefore, if you trade anything for it; you are trading up. That travel bug does not become yours and if you're like me you are expending gas and effort to move it along. Most owners are very appreciative of this. I dig travel bugs and the likelihood of nabbing one will more often than not be the deciding factor for which caches I go for first on a given day of caching. I know a few cachers that have considered that question (TRADE OR NOT) and now leave nothing in place of a travel bug. I don't blame them. When I finally run out of corporate swag, I will probably do the same.

As for the argument going on all over this thread; I now see both sides of the argument and both sides have valid points. My opinion is the same. I'm in it for the hunt, the location, the hide, the puzzle, the log, and most especially for the most excellent Texas Geocachers that I have met along the way. They have been the greatest treasure of all.

Okay, so not completely on this topic either but I'm too tired to edit right now and this thread is keeping me up.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

I just remembered that I got flamed for that so here's the response:

quote:

Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:

Originally posted by Snoogans:

...I have adopted one rule that I got from another cacher; If there's change, or money in the cache (Not Where's George $$) it's mine. I assume that the last cacher left it to help pay my toll charges, or gas...

Sorry, but if it happens to be money _I_ left, your assumption is incorrect. I almost always leave an assortment of foreign coins; they are my signature item and are intended for trade, not plunder. I also occasionally leave $1-$5 (or its local equivalent) to ensure an equitable trade if I lack an appropriate item in my pack. And sometimes I'll just leave some money to improve the value of the cache. It is intended to be traded for like value items or to be used by the cache owner to help maintain his cache. It is _never_ intended as a windfall for the next cacher who just happens along.

I'm somewhat surprised that you seem to more or less embrace the ethic of equitable trading when it comes to _trinkets_, but apparently think all _money_ (except WG$) found in a cache is rightfully yours apart from any trading. Is there an upper limit to the amount you feel entitled to take, or do you always just grab it all?

(edited for typo)

Worldtraveler

[This message was edited by worldtraveler on May 20, 2003 at 08:31 AM.]

LOL - I don't know which rich neighborhoods you have been cachin in. I'm sure there are a few cache raiders that would like to know. My biggest windfall to date has been about $1.37 in green quarters and pennies. I was doing the cache owner a favor to take that crap outta there. FYI - Traded for it. Perfectly good corporate swag worth more than the crappy change in my "windfall." I used the quarters in a toy machine to add to my cache booty.

I have a great job and don't NEED the money. I just think it is a poor excuse for a trade. Foreign money as a Sig item is cool though. I have only grabbed one piece of foreign money and it was to trade at a foreign money themed cache. Kids like the strange looking money, so I leave it alone. I always hope maybe they will be tempted to learn something about where it came from. There is also a local cache that the cache owner placed a dozen or so dollar coins in. I wouldn't dream of taking more than one. That's how it was set up.

Anyhoo, did the rest of my original post sit well with you, or did you just jump at the chance to scold someone?

Sorry if this is too much info. Kinda loopy from lack of sleep. It wiil be 3am by the time I get to my bed.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

quote:
Originally posted by geeyo:

I have heard good arguements on both sides of the fence about trading items for travel bugs or not.I thought it would be good to start a thread about this subject because I have heard it mentioned from time to time, and Im curious too. icon_rolleyes.gif

If the etiquette is to trade something for the finding of a travel bug, what would be the proper value of an item to trade for the taking?

Personally im new to this...I have been keeping track of cache activity around my area for some time now...and im getting my new GPS unit this week! icon_biggrin.gif

Feedback on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Geeyo

Great question. When I'm out caching, I tend to look at the cache to see what's in it and make a determination about whether to leave something for a travel bug or not based upon what the cache would look like after I leave. Most of the time, I'm apt to leave something in place of the T-Bug because if I didn't, there wouldn't be much left in the cache.

Like Snoogans, I tend to have a bunch of foreign coins hiding in the bottom of my backpack for trade as well and also keep a supply of Where's George? dollars handy for trading out as well. I have been guilty of taking five gold Sacagewea dollars and leaving five dollar bills in return, but after reading Snoogans responses, I will be less likely to do that and will probably only trade one or two in the future.

As an aside to Snoogans. Are you against Where's George dollars or what? Curious more than anything.

Webfoot frog.gif

Tromping through the underbrush looking for Ammo cans, Tupperware containers, & little round disks.

Heres the way I see it:

If a travel bug is in a cache, its fair game. I believe you should leave something in its place, but it doesnt matter much what it is. This hold true only because whatever travel bug you take, is one you are going to leavesomeplace else. The amount of travel bugs taken, should equal the amount of travel bugs left....even more if you have left some of your own. Therefore you will always be breaking even in the grand scheme of caches. icon_biggrin.gif

I admit it -- I head for TBs before anything else. I'll drive out of my way for one. And personally, I do try to leave something in exchange for the TB, and usually something cool. Reason for that is, someone else may be heading to the cache for the exact same reason I am!

Just my 2¢,

Joel (joefrog)

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for ye are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

Depends....Most of the time I throw something in the cache for the TB's (obv. not at TB motels)but sometimes I grab TB"s on a whim and dont have my cache bag with me....My feeling is you don't have to but why not it can't hurt...

NOSEEUMS--High Protein Low Calorie unpacked trail snacks!!!!

See You In the Woods!!!

Natureboy1376

quote:
Originally posted by Webfoot:

As an aside to Snoogans. Are you against Where's George dollars or what? Curious more than anything.

Webfoot frog.gif

Not at all. In fact, I try to get sequential bills for my WG's. (I have a plan to use WG dollars in a unique way. Don't want to let the cat outta the bag yet.)

I think fiddling, loose, small change is a poor excuse for a trade though, so I generally trade for it and remove it. On the same token, I wouldn't bother a bag full of pennies. One, its not loose, and two, some small child would probably love it. I have seen where damp change has started rust going in an ammo can and left marks on plastic containers. Damp loose change can be pretty gross. I'm sure most cachers have run across some.

I would like to add one more thing to this thread. (way sorry for the long, off topic stuff in earlier posts)

I have bagged many TB's from caches that I had previously logged. This usually happens after 10PM local time when I get off of work. My only sig item that is my trademark for a night raid is that I leave something that glows in the dark. Recently, I nabbed 2 bugs, on different nights, in the same park, and both times I was in such a hurry that I forgot to leave my sig item behind. I posted LnTtb and didn't lose any sleep over it.

I only have about 40 some finds in my pocket so there are plenty of people who are more knowledgable than I. But, I believe that if you are playing a game and enjoy caching. The rule is take something leave something. No matter what it is. The tb is just another item. If you grab a TB than you take the responsibility to make sure you move it for the owner. Thats how I feel about it, for what it is worth.

Also, I don't take money from caches, The idea that "it pays for my gas", makes me ask; If you feel you need paid back, why cache?

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

I fall into the group that tends to view TBs as a seperate game running thru the larger caching game.

If I take a non-TB item, I'll trade for it. If I take a TB, I generally don't leave an item in its place.

Me too! (I know, another brilliant post...)

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)