iPod Touch / Dual GPS Cradle and Maps

jsuvman

For the members using an iPod Touch and the Dual GPS Cradle what is the best app that you found that has a map that will let you navigate to a cache whether driving or walking?

From what I understand, with the Geocaching app, the maps do not work because you do not have a connection to the internet. That makes sense but I also heard that the compass does not work that well either when using the Dual GPS Cradle?

I did read that the Navigon map for the iPod Touch does work well with the Geosphere app and the Dual GPS Cradle XGPS251 (The cradle without the map included). Too bad the Geocaching app does not have an option, in settings, to use a map on your device?

Any input would be welcome. Just looking for the best way to set up the iPod Touch for complete Geocaching? Right now we just us it for its paperless functions, along with our GPSr which is great but I get tired of downloading stuff to to devices.

I'm new so this is hardly an expert opinion but the Geosphere app is great. I receive the email for my pocket query, select the zip file and choose open in Geosphere, in under a minute all the info is there. It is compatible with the off maps app so you can have maps while you are not online. Definitely worth the 8 bucks.

The cradle seems a bit pricey but looks interesting.

Unless that cradle has a built in Compass you won't have that option. From what i can see the cradle doesn't have a compass. None the less with the right software you should be able to get a bearing and range out of it anyway.

I too use my iTouch for paperless caching. But for $200 i'd rather buy a refurbished or slightly used Hand Held GPS that allows paperless caching. My problem is the iTouch isn't very rugged and if any rain gets on it the thing is dead. Besides $200 is a little much for me and i'm more then happy with my iTouch and eTrex Legend H.

Unless that cradle has a built in Compass you won't have that option. From what i can see the cradle doesn't have a compass. None the less with the right software you should be able to get a bearing and range out of it anyway.

I too use my iTouch for paperless caching. But for $200 i'd rather buy a refurbished or slightly used Hand Held GPS that allows paperless caching. My problem is the iTouch isn't very rugged and if any rain gets on it the thing is dead. Besides $200 is a little much for me and i'm more then happy with my iTouch and eTrex Legend H.

I'm confused about the compass comment. The geocaching app has a compass which uses the GPS on the iPhone as far as I know. I have never used it because the iPod Touch uses WiFi and once I leave my house I loose the signal.

Also you can get the Dual Cradle for $99.00 now and with a coupon I have I can 20% off at Best Buy.

Yes the app gives you heading and distanced based on the GPS cords. Its not based on Magnetic North like an actual compass or an electronic compass like most higher end GPS have.

Thanks. That is what I thought. Now I will just wait and see if the original question gets answered? What is the best app/map to use for an iTouch that would let you navigate to the cache while driving and walking?

Edited by jsuvman

Did you end up getting one?

I just picked one up tonight. So far I'm impressed. I walked outside for a few minutes and it seemed to work well. It took about a minute to get locked on to the satellites.

Construction seems very good, it feels nice in the hand, not cumbersome at all.

Some nice extras too, it has a microphone so I was able to make a skype call with it. The battery also charges the ipod.

Here's a link to the dual website apps section. This should give you an idea of what to download.

http://www.gpscradle.dualav.com/apps.html

Short lived enjoyment with that. Today it rarely could get a signal lock and when it did it took a long time, like 6+ minutes. My record was 3 and a half minutes but it dropped within about 10 seconds. This was often testing in clear skies with no obstructions. In a moving car I drove for 20 minutes and could never get a signal.

It's going back for a warranty replacement. We'll see if the other one is any better.

I got my replacement xgps251 and have played around with it for a bit. My previous one definitely had a problem. The new one is firmware 10.10 so that may help things as well. Signal acquisition is now generally within a minute even in a moving car with buildings nearby. Occasionally it takes a little longer. I only had time to go after one cache using the Geosphere app. The needle was steady and it took me right down to 1 foot without any odd behavior.

I'll test it out some more and add a more detailed review to the thread. Right now these things are at Amazon for $90. The microphone is nice for skype calls, the ability to extend your ipods battery when away from a power source is another bonus. It does seem to be well built. As long as the GPS works well this is a good buy for certain people. I wouldn't want to take it out in the woods or give it to my kids to play with, it would be too easy to break. I'm not sure if it will do well in built up areas or under heavy tree cover, I have my doubts.

I got my replacement xgps251 and have played around with it for a bit. My previous one definitely had a problem. The new one is firmware 10.10 so that may help things as well. Signal acquisition is now generally within a minute even in a moving car with buildings nearby. Occasionally it takes a little longer. I only had time to go after one cache using the Geosphere app. The needle was steady and it took me right down to 1 foot without any odd behavior.

I'll test it out some more and add a more detailed review to the thread. Right now these things are at Amazon for $90. The microphone is nice for skype calls, the ability to extend your ipods battery when away from a power source is another bonus. It does seem to be well built. As long as the GPS works well this is a good buy for certain people. I wouldn't want to take it out in the woods or give it to my kids to play with, it would be too easy to break. I'm not sure if it will do well in built up areas or under heavy tree cover, I have my doubts.

Thanks for the info. You mentioned earlier that you used Geosphere and it works with the off maps app so you can have maps when not online. Do you mind telling what maps you are using? It also sounds like you are using the Groundspeak Geocaching app since you said you only had to use Geosphere once? Is this true?

I just haven't had the chance to use it much. I've been using the geosphere app for paperless geocaching without the cradle. I plan on trying it out tomorrow some more for actual geocaching. I used it a bit this weekend walking around a city I wasn't too familiar with and it was handy to be able to pinpoint my location on a map. Signal acquisition is slower than my Garmin, it often takes twice as long.

I'll post more tomorrow.