Heeeeeeeelp!

GAZ

Ok you fantastic techie peeps.......

I have downloaded TalkyToasters maps to my 2Gb micro SD card........so far so good.......checked the file name, ok, the 300 odd mb shows it on the micro SD through my card reader on the 'puter, and I found the correct button on the vista to show the memory status of the card.

The problem is, well, I think the problem is, the bit that says maps has 0.00mb! The list is as follows:-

18% full

maps 0.00 mb

tracks 0.00 mb

miscellaneous space340.66 mb (assume this is Talkytoasters maps?)

free space 1535.0 mb

total used 340.66 mb

So, how do I get it to read the maps?

Any advice greatly received!!!!

Gaz

Did you put the map (GMAPSUPP.IMG) in a folder called "garmin" on the SD card?

BTW your numbers pretty much match mine, except mine says the maps take up 340 mb and not 0.00 mb

No, I just made sure the file was called "GMAPPSUPP.IMG" and loaded it on the card. Is it to go in a folder called "garmin" for it to work?

Ironically I have mapsource on my old pc, so I dug it out the attic and the fecking thing won't switch on now! I have a Legend that would only take some of the tiles, and thought I would upload them all to the SD card.....typical!

I will persevere!

Gaz

Is it to go in a folder called "garmin" for it to work?

Yes it must be in the garmin folder, so (assuming you're on Windows) it should be

F:\garmin\GMAPSUPP.IMG

(but F: may vary according to your drive letters)

Cheers for that. I did that right after your other post, and it worked fine. I just used the vista as a mass storage and altered it on the card. Looks good, though I dunno whether I will get used to the contours!

Gaz

You've probably noticed anyway, but there is a version of the maps without contours.

True, but the contours are one of the best features. In remote areas where the mapping tends to be sparse, the contours can be the only thing visible on screen, and are often perfectly adequate for navigation, at least in reasonable visibiity.

Ok you fantastic techie peeps.......

I have downloaded TalkyToasters maps to my 2Gb micro SD card........so far so good.......checked the file name, ok, the 300 odd mb shows it on the micro SD through my card reader on the 'puter, and I found the correct button on the vista to show the memory status of the card.

The problem is, well, I think the problem is, the bit that says maps has 0.00mb! The list is as follows:-

18% full

maps 0.00 mb

tracks 0.00 mb

miscellaneous space340.66 mb (assume this is Talkytoasters maps?)

free space 1535.0 mb

total used 340.66 mb

So, how do I get it to read the maps?

Any advice greatly received!!!!

Gaz

I realise you've already sorted this, but I'll still comment in case it helps you in the future.

When you copied the files to the SD card the first time, did you tell the machine that you wanted to remove it before you pulled it out? If not, then in future you need to "Safely Remove", using one of the icons in the tray area (bottom right corner), before you take it out. Writes to the card may be delayed for any length of time. "Safely removing" the card means any pending writes will be committed.

Rgds, Andy

I realise you've already sorted this, but I'll still comment in case it helps you in the future.

When you copied the files to the SD card the first time, did you tell the machine that you wanted to remove it before you pulled it out? If not, then in future you need to "Safely Remove", using one of the icons in the tray area (bottom right corner), before you take it out. Writes to the card may be delayed for any length of time. "Safely removing" the card means any pending writes will be committed.

Rgds, Andy

I realise that delayed writes can be a problem but if I use the "Safely Remove" feature, it disables the card reader which, being a USB unit mounted inside to the case, cannot be used again without resetting the pc. :yikes:

Edited by T.R.a.M.P.
True, but the contours are one of the best features.

I agree totally, the only reason I mention it is that the OP said he didn't know whether he would get used to the contours. I use my GPS mostly for walking and climbing, geocaching is a bit of an add-on, so contours are very useful. I suppose that if you are looking for caches in an urban area or close to roads contours may get in the way.

if I use the "Safely Remove" feature, it disables the card reader

To safely remove a card from the built-in card reader, don't use the "Remove Hardware" icon, "eject" the card from within Windows.

To eject a card, double click on the My Computer icon. Inside the My Computer folder, you'll see several removable disks listed, one for each "disk" that can hold a solid state card. Right click on the "drive" containing your card. In the pop-up menu, click on "Eject". Windows will tell you the card is ok to be removed.

As you have discovered, if the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon is used to unmount the built-in card reader, you will have to reboot the machine, or use the Windows Hardware Device Manager to re-scan for new hardware in order to get Windows to see it again. Sometimes, you need to do both!

Regards,

Neil

Edited by The Patrician
I realise that delayed writes can be a problem but if I use the "Safely Remove" feature, it disables the card reader which, being a USB unit mounted inside to the case, cannot be used again without resetting the pc. :yikes:
I can see your problem - it normally appears again when you reinsert the USB plug, but with an internal USB you can't easily do that. Frankly, I think that is a design problem with your PC - I think USB wasn't really intended as an internal interface.

I can't see how the alternative proposed by the next poster makes the situation any different. "Safely remove" hardware should not deinstall the drivers, merely flush the write buffers, and after "ejecting" the card by the alternative method you will be in exactly the same situation in which you presently find yourself.

But simply ignoring the requirement to safely remove the card is not a satisfactory solution. External USB card readers are so cheap they are effectively free. If you buy a £10 uSD card you're quite likely to have a USB->uSD card reader bunged in for nothing.

I don't know what device you are using it with, but most modern USB devices attach themselves as virtual disks without you having to remove the card at all - I rarely need to use a separate reader.

Rgds, Andy

I can see your problem - it normally appears again when you reinsert the USB plug, but with an internal USB you can't easily do that. Frankly, I think that is a design problem with your PC - I think USB wasn't really intended as an internal interface.

I can't see how the alternative proposed by the next poster makes the situation any different. "Safely remove" hardware should not deinstall the drivers, merely flush the write buffers, and after "ejecting" the card by the alternative method you will be in exactly the same situation in which you presently find yourself.

But simply ignoring the requirement to safely remove the card is not a satisfactory solution. External USB card readers are so cheap they are effectively free. If you buy a £10 uSD card you're quite likely to have a USB->uSD card reader bunged in for nothing.

I don't know what device you are using it with, but most modern USB devices attach themselves as virtual disks without you having to remove the card at all - I rarely need to use a separate reader.

Rgds, Andy

I just checked this out and using 'eject' does what is required.

When the card is 'ejected', you cannot simply go back to read it again in explorer as it is not detected BUT you only have to remove and replace the card in the reader to make it 're-appear'.

Using "Safely Remove" disables the entire card reader - that is all of the virtual disks associated with the various card types - and the reader USB plug has to be unplugged to re-enable it.

So, 'eject' is the route to go - many thanks for everyone's assistance!:D

Cheers,

Trevor

When the card is 'ejected', you cannot simply go back to read it again in explorer as it is not detected BUT you only have to remove and replace the card in the reader to make it 're-appear'.

Glad that's working. The line you've written above is exactly what should happen, when you 'Eject' the disk Windows dismounts the drive and it will not re-appear until the original disk is removed and a disk is put into the reader again.

Regards,

Neil

I just checked this out and using 'eject' does what is required.

Using "Safely Remove" disables the entire card reader - that is all of the virtual disks associated with the various card types - and the reader USB plug has to be unplugged to re-enable it.

So, 'eject' is the route to go - many thanks for everyone's assistance!:D

Cheers,

Trevor

I'm very pleased you're sorted, and my apologies to Neil for questioning it. All I can say is that on all my computers, and I have a dozen or more, running XP Pro and Win 7 Pro both 32 and 64 bit, the 2 functions behave identically on all the hardware I have. But we live and learn :rolleyes: .

Rgds, Andy

the 2 functions behave identically on all the hardware I have.

Rgds, Andy

I've just tried putting a camera card into my Win7 machine at work. Clicking remove hardware on the taskbar brings up "Eject Canon_DC (G:)". Pressing that just dismounts the disk, not the internal card reader; there is no option to remove that as hardware. It sounds as though my machine works the same as yours, Trevor's is obviously doing something else, different hardware, OS or just plain Window's bloody mindedness.

We're all correct, I blame Bill Gates!

Regards,

Neil