If some one deletes your log do you still get the find?

GerritS

If some one deletes your log do you still get the find?

Can you even tell if logs have been deleted?

Was my log that bad?

"Found this one today, a definite drive by. I must remember to ignore this type of cache. Watch the road not all cars drive slowly along it, probably best not done with children...."

IN outline the owner has found less than 40 caches and placed 3 all drive by's on small lanes, ok not in the town but in my mind fairly pointless, two of them on roads I would not want to walk down with or without children.

I guess there is some past history, after thier second cache I politely mailed them to say, you should not wrap a cache in a plastic bag.. Whilst trying nicely to pointed them in the direction of one of the forum threads about what makes a good cache...

Seems they know better and enough to delete a log, good luck to them.

Is there a way I can ignore a user?

I am not being spiteful its just the caches are so close I know I will not be able to resist the temptation to bag the cache. Less than 0.5 from the end of my road. I resisted 2 weeks this time...

As I said in my last post:

"its better than writing an honest log for what in my mind is a poor cache..."

It seems if not your logs just get deleted.

An owner shouldn't delete a log just because they don't like what the finder said about their cache. The guidelines are pretty clear on when an owner may delete logs. If you do delete a log then it is a courtesy to email the finder and explain why you've done it. We deleted a log once where the finder had uploaded a photo of our very unusual cache container completely spoiling the surprise - the cache page specifically asked that no one did this. We deleted the log, emailed the finder and asked them to log their find again but this time without the photo*.

We reviewers sometimes get involved in 'log disputes' and we always reply that it isn't part of our job and I usually say if the find isn't that exciting and you are not bothered about the smiley then rise above it! If the cache is that bad the owner may eventually realise when no one else goes to find it :)

If you think a log has been deleted unfairly then send an email to contact@geocaching.com and ask that they look into it. Logs can be un-deleted (and the find reinstated).

* You can't delete photos from the gallery of a cache, you have to delete the log the photo was uploaded with.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

* You can't delete photos from the gallery of a cache, you have to delete the log the photo was uploaded with.

I had made a request back in October 2009 for cache owners to be able to delete pictures withoutdeleting the whole log. I was informed on the linked thread that it's implementation would not be that far away. Perhaps it will come out during these scheduled upgrades?

I know a couple of local cachers who have had their log deleted, they simply kept re-logging it (adding a note that they would continue to do so) until eventually they wore the cache owner down and he let the log stand.

that's exactly what i did too on one occasion where the CO simply deleted my log because he didn't like the fact that i didn't follow his ridiculous ALR to trade fair on trackables leave a coin/TB if i take one and for saying that coins and TB's are meant to move not rot in a cache, there was quite an inventory in that cache :rolleyes:

the cache description blatantly said that "those who fail to follow the rules will be subject to log deletion"

so i kept logging until he got tired of it, i also contacted GC

GC1JZHE

to the OP...log the find again and if he deletes it do what others have suggested, contact GC

Edited by t4e

Was my log that bad?

"Found this one today, a definite drive by. I must remember to ignore this type of cache. Watch the road not all cars drive slowly along it, probably best not done with children...."

Re-log:

TFTC.

If it gets deleted contact the frog at HQ.

Or just ignore the fact it was deleted, and ignore the rest of that cachers caches.

I had made a request back in October 2009 for cache owners to be able to delete pictures withoutdeleting the whole log. I was informed on the linked thread that it's implementation would not be that far away. Perhaps it will come out during these scheduled upgrades?

That would be useful. I'm not aware of any planned implementation of that feature so it might be worth posting it in the Feedback forum.

Edited to add, it is already on the feedback forum. MrsB found it (I'm glad one of us has a vague idea what they are doing...).

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Edited by Graculus

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, presently I have re-logged the cache with similar wording and sent cache owner a note asking why it was deleted pointing out it was considered polite to notify the logger why you are deleting..

Advising him I will carry on logging...

I had also come up with two other options.

1) Place a cache exactly 0.1 miles from theres make it as similar as possible and then give an boniest description. Ask people not to find it :P and those that do to log it as honestly as they can!

2) Place a cache on the adjacent common it could make a nice cache if allowed, suprissed there is not one there, between his two caches and call it best of the worst? or something similar.

3) Log it as it happened:

"Drive the recommended route up the road past the Common I thought this might not be bad after all. Hopes rising I drove on past the workmen digging the road waiting for the cars coming the other-way.

Getting near GZ I found parking across the road. I wait for the casr to pass before I opened the door, WOW where did that one come from he was going quick.

Only having phone GPS I knew I was relying on clue, stepping on to the bank I quickly found what looked like disused drinks pot as described by clue. Stepping back onto the road ooops another car, hard to see on this small bend.

I open said pot to find it was indeed the "cache" with a log, logging find and replacing it carefully watching for passing cars...

Back in the car glad that one is over, I think did that "Cache" have a cache note in? The container was not marked as a Geo-cache in any way, no "contents harmless - geo-cache" on the outside of the cache.

Well at least I have done it and its not in a plastic bag like the last one I found in the area."

It will probably keep getting deleted but thats life... I will keep logging it. I have written some harsh logs in the past this is the first to get deleted.

Most harsh logs get over compensated for in the following logging. Really flowery logs, finally it averages out more honestly. it always makes me smile.

No matter how bad the cache people write automatically write good, until some one brakes the trends....

Seems petty but I am sure I am not the only one who would rather not have his area clogged up with drive bys on the edge of a national park!

... I usually say if the find isn't that exciting and you are not bothered about the smiley then rise above it! If the cache is that bad the owner may eventually realise when no one else goes to find it :)
To my mind there are lots of problems with that course of action:

a ) it doesn't let others know how poor the cache was, or of the dangers

b ) it reinforces the cache owners belief that he is right to delete unfavourable logs

c ) there are plenty of numbers cachers who would still do it as a drive by, so the cache owner would be unlikely to realise it's poor. Leaving an unfavourable log, with the reasons, allows those who are interested in the cache and those who are only interested in the numbers to make informed decisions

d ) for those who advocate a terse log in place of an unfavourable log, that doesn't help others to decide because some lazy cachers leave terse logs for good caches. In any case, it's possible that such a nuance would not be picked up by the sort of cache setter who would use such a poor location anyway.

Despite leaving several unfavourable logs I've been fortunate that none have been deleted so far. If they ever are, it's one repeat log for me, with a polite explanation, and if that got deleted too, referral to Groundspeak.

Rgds, Andy

Edited by Amberel

"Drive the recommended route up the road past the Common I thought this might not be bad after all. Hopes rising I drove on past the workmen digging the road waiting for the cars coming the other-way.

Getting near GZ I found parking across the road. I wait for the casr to pass before I opened the door, WOW where did that one come from he was going quick.

Only having phone GPS I knew I was relying on clue, stepping on to the bank I quickly found what looked like disused drinks pot as described by clue. Stepping back onto the road ooops another car, hard to see on this small bend.

I open said pot to find it was indeed the "cache" with a log, logging find and replacing it carefully watching for passing cars...

Back in the car glad that one is over, I think did that "Cache" have a cache note in? The container was not marked as a Geo-cache in any way, no "contents harmless - geo-cache" on the outside of the cache.

Takes longer to compose a log like that ,compared to a T.N.L.N. T.F.T.C.

or your original log,

but it would enable you to probably recall most of your time spent approaching and finding this cache if you were to read your log years later ...if you want to .