If a cache is unlisted, does it still exist?

While walking on paths near Turtle Bay Resort, Oahu HI, I found a cache that is not listed. While taking pictures near an old WWII bunker, I thought it would be a perfect place for a cache and, viola, there it was. And first to find too! I was puzzled by the note saying it was placed over a year ago in 2009 and still never found. When I went to log, I couldn't find it listed. Guess it was never approved, and left behind?

I want my credit :)

Coords near: N 21° 42.182 W 158° 00.332 if you want to find it.

While walking on paths near Turtle Bay Resort, Oahu HI, I found a cache that is not listed. While taking pictures near an old WWII bunker, I thought it would be a perfect place for a cache and, viola, there it was. And first to find too! I was puzzled by the note saying it was placed over a year ago in 2009 and still never found. When I went to log, I couldn't find it listed. Guess it was never approved, and left behind?

I have had this happen to me. I had the co-ords got to the site found the cache, and when i got back to the house to log the cache had disappeared.

Edited by 15truck

This kind of thing happens all the time. Someone places a cache and it isn't published for some reason or another and they never go back to pick it up. Many times at tourist destinations (like Hawaii) it is because they placed the cache while they were on holiday and couldn't get back to fix it when the reviewer wouldn't publish it. This is why there's a vacation cache guideline. If you don't live close enough to fix it, you shouldn't place it.

Bonus for you as you now get to recycle the container so it doesn't remain out there as geolitter.

Not being a smart aleck, but why do you "want credit"? I don't cache to get credit. ;)

This is Hawaii. There have actually been dedicated forum threads from full-time residents of Hawaii about all the vacation geo-trash left on their Islands by vacationers who think they can place caches thousands of miles from home. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you took the cache with you. The "owner" is certainly never going to go back and retrieve it. :mad: