TB/Geocoins - any problem with planes?

gifthorse

Hi! I am very new to geocaching, but am anticipating finding my first trackable item. I am both excited and nervous, wondering if I'll understand how to log everytbing in so that all involved are happy. I noticed a cache that is nearby that has a request to go to Florida. I have a trip planned in less than 2 weeks. My one concern is, is a trackable just by data entered into the website, or is there some sort of beacon that would be a problem on a plane. Probably a stupid question, but I just want to make sure before I have it confiscated from my carry-on and it just ends up sitting at airport security and never gets to Florida.

No, trackables do not contain any beacons, rfid tags nor any other active elements. But the bug tags and some coins are metal and might trigger the metal detector at security checkpoint if you forget them in your pocket. Easiest way to get them on the plane is to pack them in the baggage that you leave at the check-in desk. If you want/need to take them with your carry-on baggage, treat them the same as your car keys or some other metal object of equivalent size. I have never had any problems with getting them on board.